Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Compass calibration with or without camera

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
So I was wondering do you guys calibrate the compass first before putting the camera on, then shut down, attach camera, then reboot? I just hate every time I'm calibrating with the camera on, that the gimbal hits it's stops and it seems to me that it would put a lot of stress on the motors in the gimbal and perhaps cause level issues with the gimbal??? What are yalls thoughts???

With. The camera is a disturbance that needs to be accounted for in the calibration.

Reactions: Jetwash
I was just wondering how often you guys are calibrating your compass? Unless the pilot app says otherwise, compass calibration shouldn't have to be done too often, right?

I was just wondering how often you guys are calibrating your compass? Unless the pilot app says otherwise, compass calibration shouldn't have to be done too often, right?

It's recommended that you should do a calibration every time you change flying location.

You should do a calibration every time you fly. Better to be safe than sorry. Only takes a minute.

Not ture. There are many posts here and on the DJI Forum site that suggest that constant re-claibration of the compass is un-necessary (unless you have significantly changed location..as in MILES) and that in fact the constant re-calibration can do more harm then good.

Never heard that before. Never heard anything about doing more harm than good. Even DJI suggests doing it every flight.
In any case, I'd rather take my chances with a calibration everytime as opposed to possibly having a fly away every time.

Take your pick!

Never heard that before. Never heard anything about doing more harm than good. Even DJI suggests doing it every flight.
In any case, I'd rather take my chances with a calibration everytime as opposed to possibly having a fly away every time.

Take your pick!

Where does DJI say it should be done every time you fly?

I was also under the impression you only need to recalibrate if you've moved significantly in terms of geographical location or if the Pilot app says that the compass needs calibration.

Seems counter intuitive to have the compass status shown in the app if its required/recommended to be calibrated each time you fly.

When I was about to get a flyaway with my Phantom 2 (second start/same location), I started to calibrate every time I fly / replacing the battery.
Have not had one incident after I started with it.
Think I will continue with this, with INSPIRE 1 too.

I calibrate very time I fly. The one time I did not I had major control issues and almost lost it in the water. I had launched from a boat and was having a hard time calibrating so I gave up.

Clint- I admit I have never tried, but how would you calibrate without the camera on? Without the camera connected I get a 'Disconnected' signal on the app. Is it possible to calibrate without the app?

.............but how would you calibrate without the camera on? Without the camera connected I get a 'Disconnected' signal on the app. Is it possible to calibrate without the app?

Same as the Phantom..... Just toggle the flight control switch quickly 5 or 6 times. Inspire will then go into compass calibration mode with no need for tablet or camera connected.

I calibrate very time I fly. The one time I did not I had major control issues and almost lost it in the water. I had launched from a boat and was having a hard time calibrating so I gave up.

Clint- I admit I have never tried, but how would you calibrate without the camera on? Without the camera connected I get a 'Disconnected' signal on the app. Is it possible to calibrate without the app?

Yes, even though it shows "disconnected" you still have full access to your function and controls of the I1 itself. I just go to the GPS menu, then select compass calibration. I did it last night for a night flight/photo session shoot (thread about that coming soon) without the camera attached at first, then powered down, attached camera and powered back up. All was great and I guess i just felt better about flipping the bird around all over the place during the compass cal. and not worrying about the gimbal smacking all around and hitting it's stops in the process...!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fastprintstar