Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Congratulations DJI you just killed the Phantom!!

Is the Mavic a Phantom Killer

• Yes it has killed it

Votes: 54 56.8%
  • No - The phantom is still alive and well

Votes: 41 43.2%

• Total voters
You said 'buying a drone', simple I'd buy the one from the worlds leading drone manufacturer.
buying a drone............ for taking video.
I think the Karma represents better value for money. However I can see why drone people would like the Mavic more.

I'm currently flying a P3 but will be buying the Inspire 2 as soon as it's released, ill be using that commercially (hence why i'm in this forum) but that is not to replace the P3 which is my personal drone. I too am torn between the Mavic and the Karma and can see the benefits of both of them.

1 big problem i have with the Mavic is the field of view, I take a lot of landscapes and that is the only reason i haven't pre-ordered already. The Karma on the other hand has a really wide field of view and that's appealing to me along with the fact that I'd be getting a Hero 5 and gimbal to use separately.

Decisions o_O

..okay simple rule in my experience of messing with all sorts of cameras... gopro, inspire, smart phones, various other action cameras.... you want a device that flys get a dji, yo want a device that is water proof buy a submarine! :p:p:p

on a serious note, think about the ongoing support... will gopro be supporting the obsolete 'Karma' in 18 months???

Can you even imagine what we Americans would do if we were permitted to fly drones with Hellfire Missiles on them -- with or without the frickin laser beams!

Brian

I have a Phantom and an Inspire. I have already ordered the Mavic and actually played around with one at the Hong Kong flagship store.

It is AMAIZING and completely a replacement for the Phantom. Also, and great additional detail not highlighted in a lot of the YouTube videos is that the sticks on the RC are easily removable AND they fit inside the extendable hand grips when closed which means you can pull them out and close them in the controller when you want to throw the RC in a bag or your pocket. Small detail but just makes the portability aspect of the thing that much more appealing.

After handling it in person, unless the video is really a massive downward departure from the Phantom I don't see why anyone, prosumer or other wise would choose the Phantom over the Mavic. It's smaller, same battery life, just about as fast with better live streaming, better sensors, and totally portable. The Inspire is a very different animal and its modular platform and pure strength (high winds) keep it very relevant as a pro platform, but for my uses I imagine it's going to drop to 1 in 10 filming situations after I get the Mavic.

Last point, the build quality feels very solid. It seems like the body is mostly plastic but the foldable arms I'm pretty sure are metal which gives the thing a very strong feel. Also it is so ridiculously stable in flight (they fly in the store in Hong Kong) in doors. This thing really rocks.

Reactions: RaptorMan
Thanks AFM, good additional information and confirmation of the observations others have made about the stability of the Mavic Pro. The two things that I'm still a bit uncertain about are the usability with Android devices including tablets and just how much of an issue the tilted horizon is. Many of the videos show pretty bad horizon tilt and I wonder if that's curable with a good IMU capibration -- I presume there is an IMU calibration.

Brian

Thanks AFM, good additional information and confirmation of the observations others have made about the stability of the Mavic Pro. The two things that I'm still a bit uncertain about are the usability with Android devices including tablets and just how much of an issue the tilted horizon is. Many of the videos show pretty bad horizon tilt and I wonder if that's curable with a good IMU capibration -- I presume there is an IMU calibration.

Brian
Of course...
Android app will be released before the Mavic reaches people (just!)

Tilted horizon will ALWAYS be present at some point on every gimbal due to the interplay between the accelerometers and gyros within the gimbal GCU.
I have explained this in detail before on the forum but basically you can never eradicate some horizon drift as there is never perfect PID tuning to take into account every flying style/maneuver.

Reactions: RaptorMan
Thanks E.

The procedure as shown in the DJI video only calibrate IMU1 -- would have expected both IMU's to be calibrated.

Brian

Last edited:
Although for a holiday drone it us perfect. For great video from the results I have seen in side by side comparisons the video is blurry and not as crisp as s P4 and I think when general populous sees that (if factual) they will buy for hobby but not for serious video/photos. But for us Inspire1 Pro guys it is a nice drone for holidays.
Illegal Droning will rise! Let's face it even though it is illegal to take a drone off the ground without liability insurance $100,000 minimum (but I can only find $500,000 packages) and regardless of the weight cannot fly within 5 miles of multi-building areas, I think the Mavic will be the famous Drone that will be possible to break so many laws recreational drone flying will get grounded. It is now affordable to everyone and cheep enough to be incredibly reckless for those who who have thick wallets. It will be popping into all sorts of events with its 7km first person view... no way of finding operator in that range. The government needs to get ahead of this and make a License process in place and a drone cannot be sold unless you pass it and a flight test then at least; 1. Everyone knows and are bound by the same rules and 2. a database will exist of people who drone and illegal operating can be more easily reported by bystanders. Keeping our sport and country safe. Operators are the irresponsible enemy not drones!

Although for a holiday drone it us perfect. For great video from the results I have seen in side by side comparisons the video is blurry and not as crisp as s P4 and I think when general populous sees that (if factual) they will buy for hobby but not for serious video/photos. But for us Inspire1 Pro guys it is a nice drone for holidays.
Illegal Droning will rise! Let's face it even though it is illegal to take a drone off the ground without liability insurance $100,000 minimum (but I can only find $500,000 packages) and regardless of the weight cannot fly within 5 miles of multi-building areas, I think the Mavic will be the famous Drone that will be possible to break so many laws recreational drone flying will get grounded. It is now affordable to everyone and cheep enough to be incredibly reckless for those who who have thick wallets. It will be popping into all sorts of events with its 7km first person view... no way of finding operator in that range. The government needs to get ahead of this and make a License process in place and a drone cannot be sold unless you pass it and a flight test then at least; 1. Everyone knows and are bound by the same rules and 2. a database will exist of people who drone and illegal operating can be more easily reported by bystanders. Keeping our sport and country safe. Operators are the irresponsible enemy not drones!

I wouldn't class £1000 as cheap but I do agree with you on most of your other points

Reactions: Mr Phantom
I wouldn't class £1000 as cheap but I do agree with you on most of your other points
Mavic is roughly 1/4 the price off an Inspire1 Pro system and people looking for youtube clicks an youtube paying ads will be fine to risk a Mavic price, is my fear...

I'm currently flying a P3 but will be buying the Inspire 2 as soon as it's released, ill be using that commercially (hence why i'm in this forum) but that is not to replace the P3 which is my personal drone. I too am torn between the Mavic and the Karma and can see the benefits of both of them.

1 big problem i have with the Mavic is the field of view, I take a lot of landscapes and that is the only reason i haven't pre-ordered already. The Karma on the other hand has a really wide field of view and that's appealing to me along with the fact that I'd be getting a Hero 5 and gimbal to use separately.

Decisions o_O

The Hero 5 is useless in 4K, just like the Hero 4 and 3.
It only has "wide' view in 4K and that is unacceptable. 127 degree angle is too distorted for aerials.
Since I only shoot in 4K, the GoPro is out of mind.
I told GoPro about this with the Hero 4 and obviously, it has fallen on deaf ears.
Also, the Karma hand held gimbal will not be as good as the DJI with the Z axis rod for the Osmo.
You will still get that undulating movement while walking with the Karma hand held stick!
Think about that!
The Karma is a toy!

It only has "wide' view in 4K and that is unacceptable. 127 degree angle is too distorted for aerials.
I told GoPro about this with the Hero 4 and obviously, it has fallen on deaf ears.
Also, the Karma hand held gimbal will not be as good as the DJI with the Z axis rod for the Osmo.
You will still get that undulating movement while walking with the Karma hand held stick!
Think about that!
The Karma is a toy!
I'd probably never actually buy the Karma anyway but I do like the concept.

I think the Karma represents better value for money.
It does but only when you consider the whole package, which supposes you don't yet have anything that does the job of either of the 3 "functions", intend to use all of the components and are happy with the drawbacks.

Personally I wouldn't want a fisheye view on either a handheld gimbal nor a drone, so I don't care about the savings and would rather get a Mavic and Osmo even for twice the price (already have the Osmo, so as mentioned above the package loses its interest without even taking the camera into account).

Reactions: FlyingPhotosKR
Think about that!
The Karma is a toy!

Exactly, the FOV with GoPro's is way too wide and when the perspective is an aerial one that just makes the too wide seem even wider. It would be nice to be able to change the FOV on the Mavic but 79 degrees may well be about optimum for a fixed focal length drone camera. As I recall it's equal to about 22mm on a 35mm FF DSLR which is almost as wide as my widest lens for my Nikon D800E (Zeiss 21mm Distagon).

GoPro felt they ad to leverage there SportsCam design spec where a wide angle lens is needed. They could have come up with a model that had interchangeable lenses, even propriety lenses, and been able to offer a better range of focal lengths for drones but they wanted a single camera for sports and drone -- FAIL!

The Mavic Pro is going to sell at least 5X what the Karma does and it could well exceed 10X. I said it before and I'll say it again ... this could result in the end of GoPro.

Brian

Let's not hate on the GoPro, it's a great little action camera and I for one won't be cliff diving wearing my Mavic...

Sent from my MI 5 using Tapatalk

I have a GoPro, an Hero 3 Back, so I'm not hate'n on GoPro -- just pointing out that the perspective from a drone is different than an action/sports camera.

Brian

The mavic video quality IS NOT as good at the Phantom 4 camera, which tells me it won't be as good at the Karma Drone either.

Worth mentioning that if a new go pro comes out it WILl be compatable with the Karma Drone, DJI will no doubt trying to lock you into buying a whole new system.

I want it for indoor use, period. The video quality is good enough for me and our intended use.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverBaez