Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Cost to start commercially

Not sure how the TSA will be involved with this. They cover transportation security.
If you look at the official copy of the proposed rules as published in the Federal Register, (not the "leaked" version), on page 9546 under the Summary of Major Provisions of Proposed Part 107, in the column marked Operator Certification and Responsibilities, one of the listed bullet points is, "Be vetted by the Transportation Security Administration".

...can you tell us about your Certification course? Where / how much / what does it entail?

Sorry I missed this portion and someone actually PM'd about it.

Anyways if you have an interest and do your research you will find there are 3 different kind of UAV/UAS schools available. The first one are generally state run universities which offers Science degrees in UAV. The second ones are similar to trade schools that both offer Science degrees in UAV along with UAV Pilot certification. Now the big distinction here is that the trade school institutions deal with large, over 55lbs UAVs and Drone that are typically used in military operations. Another version of this deal with large, over 55lbs Hexacopters that are used in Hollywood to carry large heavy cameras and gear for commercial use. The third one is what I am enrolled in are basically designed for the under 55lbs multi-rotors. Most of these kinds of schools are catered to commercial photographers, cinematographers, or specialized areas where small drones are used in agriculture, oil industry, and small film productions.

The one I go to is based out of Sacramento and have been preparing to open the school up for quite sometime. Until recently they finally decided the time was right and with the advise from the different industries along with their close relationship with the regional FAA. The school has created a curriculum designed based on the current information from the FAA once they finalized the operational licensing for UAVs. The whole focus of this school is to provide, prepare, and assist the candidate to pass for the FAA test once it is open.

The fees for the course is very nice and priced right. The tuition covers the FAA Test fees, Aircraft registration, and Licensing Fee. That is considering once FAA pulls the trigger they and I would anticipate there will be a crop of other schools to open and the tuition will certainly be much higher.

If any of you are within the Sacramento or San Francisco bay area and are interested in taking the course please PM me.

Here are the class details.

"This course is designed to provide the training necessary for you to pass your FAA UAV/Drone Pilot written test and flight training necessary to maneuver a drone for video/photo operations. The tuition also includes the test fee charged by the FAA authorized test center, registration for your drone, FAA paperwork filing, books & class materials and job placement assistance in the commercial sector. Also we will offer mentorship & business support (website, mobile app, logo design, business license, etc. for a small fee) for those who wish to market themselves as their own drone business.

The FAA is not expected to pass the final ruling for a few months and at that time will establish the testing, licensing and registration infrastructure for drone commercial pilots. Our industry sources have advised us what will be required when the final ruling is passed and we have based our training syllabus around those requirements. If the FAA has not issued the final ruling by the time drone pilots graduate from Drone University you will be notified immediately when FAA testing is available and get your license. We currently are positioning ourselves with industries that will be looking for qualified pilots once the ruling is passed so our graduates will have a huge advantage over others.

Tuition is $1,995 for the entire course which includes your new drone kit ($1,495 if you bring your own drone)."

Hope to see some of y'all.

Anyways if you have an interest and do your research you will find there are 3 different kind of UAV/UAS schools available. The first one are generally state run universities which offers Science degrees in UAV. The second ones are similar to trade schools that both offer Science degrees in UAV along with UAV Pilot certification. Now the big distinction here is that the trade school institutions deal with large, over 55lbs UAVs and Drone that are typically used in military operations. Another version of this deal with large, over 55lbs Hexacopters that are used in Hollywood to carry large heavy cameras and gear for commercial use. The third one is what I am enrolled in are basically designed for the under 55lbs multi-rotors. Most of these kinds of schools are catered to commercial photographers, cinematographers, or specialized areas where small drones are used in agriculture, oil industry, and small film productions.

The one I go to is based out of Sacramento and have been preparing to open the school up for quite sometime. Until recently they finally decided the time was right and with the advise from the different industries along with their close relationship with the regional FAA. The school has created a curriculum designed based on the current information from the FAA once they finalized the operational licensing for UAVs. The whole focus of this school is to provide, prepare, and assist the candidate to pass for the FAA test once it is open.

The fees for the course is very nice and priced right. The tuition covers the FAA Test fees, Aircraft registration, and Licensing Fee. That is considering once FAA pulls the trigger they and I would anticipate there will be a crop of other schools to open and the tuition will certainly be much higher.

If any of you are within the Sacramento or San Francisco bay area and are interested in taking the course please PM me.

"This course is designed to provide the training necessary for you to pass your FAA UAV/Drone Pilot written test and flight training necessary to maneuver a drone for video/photo operations. The tuition also includes the test fee charged by the FAA authorized test center, registration for your drone, FAA paperwork filing, books & class materials and job placement assistance in the commercial sector. Also we will offer mentorship & business support (website, mobile app, logo design, business license, etc. for a small fee) for those who wish to market themselves as their own drone business.

The FAA is not expected to pass the final ruling for a few months and at that time will establish the testing, licensing and registration infrastructure for drone commercial pilots. Our industry sources have advised us what will be required when the final ruling is passed and we have based our training syllabus around those requirements. If the FAA has not issued the final ruling by the time drone pilots graduate from Drone University you will be notified immediately when FAA testing is available and get your license. We currently are positioning ourselves with industries that will be looking for qualified pilots once the ruling is passed so our graduates will have a huge advantage over others.

Tuition is $1,995 for the entire course which includes your new drone kit ($1,495 if you bring your own drone)."

Very interesting. How long of a course is it ?

And as I said in my post on the first page of this thread...... The FAA fees are cheap (as are our CAA fees in the UK) but companies will pop up charging (in this case) $2k for 'training'.
I'm sure the FAA will only give National Qualified Entity status to companies they pre approve and you will be required to attend one of these training establishments in order to get your permission for aerial work from the FAA.
These companies (once authorised by the FAA as an NQE) are free to charge whatever they wish.
Your overall cost to acquire permission for commercial aerial work will probably end up nearer to ours in the UK which by the time you factor in mandatory insurance, FAA fees and 'tuition schooling (with a flight assessment similar to we have in the UK) you are probably looking at circa $3.5 - $4k

Well I would hope we would not go in that route as the UK and US does have our differences. Here is the US we have car drivers both in public and commercial who doesn't have insurance coverage and one needs to understand that the US loves going to court. So in essence I feel that the insurance portion will not be dictated by the FAA but more of a recommendation for proper compliance.

As far as schools are concerned I agree that the FAA will have their recognized Flight school. That is why I went with this company. They are are very well recognized as a highly rated flight school and I was to get "in" and "done with" before any further changes or requirement will be incurred. Though it would probably take more than 4 years for such changes, I would like to be "grandfathered" in for such things happen. This is also true why I want to get registered early. One of the other trade school's tuition sits at $3500 with three phases to complete but when you are done you are still not desirable for hire as you are about 1/2 way to being a private pilot thus the candidate would fall into a Section 333 exemption.

I think you will find it will be made compulsory to have (at least) $10million in liability cover.
The ramifications of not being covered in the event of UAV malfunction and causing serious injury or property damage do not bear thinking about!
Additionally, a lot of companies will not even hire you for aerial work unless you carry a minimum of £5million insurance and usually ask for a copy of your insurance certificate.

I run an outdoor movie business that deals with copyright laws all the time and my liability insurance coverage is at $1M aggregate. Believe when I say if you think the government is hungry enough to take money, try Hollywood or the NFL for that matter and it will change your mind. So I anticipate the insurance would be just the same.

I'm thinking of moving back to Oz from NZ. Does the $4K cover you for all states and who does the certification?
There was a stand across from the CASA stand at this years airshow and the only reason I stopped was because I noticed they had an I1 in a glass box. I asked what a commercial licence was worth, they told around $4k. I didn't bother to ask anything else. Sorry mate.

Last edited:
Let me say about FAA (with general aviation ) I've carried a Pilots license for over 50 years and the only expense was when I got my license, ( The license is for private pilot certificate airplane single engine and multi engine land instrument airplane) The lice and never expires it's by annual medical that cost me $150 every other year and a biannual flight review every other year which is no big thing so with 50+ years of flying general aviation and sailplanes I have over 5000 logged hours I keep my logbooks so so again not a big deal point being you follow flight rules , you need to research what is called uncontrolled airspace uncontrolled airspace below 1200 feet for general aviation and there were really is no rules, for my clients I fly them places, I provide my clients cold storage and industrial plants I provide my clients aerial pictures of their facilities and the changes they make over the years as a courtesy !!!! My Starduster 2 bi-wing I keep it at air strip out of controlled Air Space , there I can take off and fly under 1200 feet and stay clear of clouds and never have to have a radio to communicate, Think of a cropduster he flies 50 feet above the ground under the power lines if he's good enough and just stays in communications with his groundcrew soul guys just research uncontrolled airspaceand use your own imagination
NOW for my inspire what iPad do you knowledgeable people know that I could get that would allow me to use this flight simulator because I plan on using it also and my cold storage business and it will be making me money so again if I could get someone to tell me The best I pad for them DJI application and make use of its flight simulator and thank you all in advance
Thanks. Jim
www. consolidatedsericesac.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently enrolled in a UAV FAA Certification course. Though the price sheet sounds excessive I do not feel it is accurate.

Upon further reading I found a more realistic cost that my Instructor has also explained.

"...The estimated out-of-pocket cost for a small UAS operator to be FAA-certified is less than $300..."

"...The cost to administer an FAA approved small UAS knowledge test, including compliance fees, to a small UAS applicant or operator is $150..."

"...The FAA assigns the value of $28.00 as the estimate for the FAA’s cost to register an aircraft..."

"...The FAA uses a $50 fee to validate the identity of an applicant..."

"...With respect to the potential operator costs, the FAA assumes that each operator would be a new entrant into the commercial market and that each operator would have one small UAS. The following table shows the proposed rule’s estimated out-of-pocket startup and recurrent direct compliance costs for a new small UAS operator or owner.

Small UAS Operator Startup and Recurrent Costs (Current Dollars)
Cost Type of Cost Initial Recurrent Applicant/small UAS operator
Travel Expense $9
Knowledge Test Fees $150
Positive Identification of the Applicant Fee $50
Total applicant/small UAS operator $209 / $159 (Renewal)
Owner Small UAS Registration Fee $5
Total $214 / $164(Renewal)

* Details may not add to row or column totals due to rounding. The FAA does not believe that $214 per operator would be a significant negative economic impact to small entity operators because $214 is relatively inexpensive to be licensed for operation of a commercial vehicle..."

So it may not be as bad as we believe. We shall see.

Excluding:
Drone Cost
Extra Batteries and Chargers
Business Cards
Website
Stationary
LLC Registration
Liability Insurance
Pro-Bono Business to build business
Vehicle Expenses
Onsite Food Expenses
Lodging (if necessary)
And Most important: Taking the wife out to dinner and/or an occasional shopping trip cause she thinks this is nonsense. Just another hobby...

Reactions: Ricky Evans
Excluding:...
And Most important: Taking the wife out to dinner and/or an occasional shopping trip cause she thinks this is nonsense. Just another hobby...

LOL! Touche'

But those are just the cost of business and not part of FAA license for a drone.

This would be interesting as some surely will violate the rules once the FAA confirms this and that the violators will play ignorance as they do today.

Howard , there are ultralight aircraft that you don't need a pilots license to fly and you could fly those which are go pro camera and it really cost nothing you do your own annual so look into the ultralight aircraft requirements and you will see the pretty much not too much there!!

Guys and Gals FAA rules Don't apply to single seat ultralight aircraft moving less than 60 miles an hour no medical needed no license needed no written test !!! just a drivers license and protect yourself with some insurance and that's the way it is. Go Fly and take all the pictures you want !!!!

Howard , there are ultralight aircraft that you don't need a pilots license to fly and you could fly those which are go pro camera and it really cost nothing you do your own annual so look into the ultralight aircraft requirements and you will see the pretty much not too much there!!

You're exactly right, but try it for compensation or hire. Again, I'm not a FAA Rep, but the rules may change drastically. Plus I think the FAR's still apply. So you can be violated for an infraction. How many times have I heard ultralight aircraft entering Atlanta Class B Airspace "by mistake." LOTS!!!!!

Last edited:
My real planes ( T-210 & Twin C-340) one cost $475 per flying hour the 340 $1500, and it's called Shared Expense , and there's lots of uncontrolled airspace LOTS !!! You need a Transponder for Controlled Air Space in the Soup down to minimums Usually 200 ceiling and 1/2 Mile visibility but generally Aviation can take off Zero/ Zero Airlines or flying for hire 1600 feet forward visibility ,, Clearance IFR too VFR on Top ,,, old saying " There old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old pilots "

Guys and Gals FAA rules Don't apply to single seat ultralight aircraft moving less than 60 miles an hour no medical needed no license needed no written test !!! just a drivers license and protect yourself with some insurance and that's the way it is. Go Fly and take all the pictures you want !!!!

My real planes ( T-210 & Twin C-340) one cost $475 per flying hour the 340 $1500, and it's called Shared Expense , and there's lots of uncontrolled airspace LOTS !!! You need a Transponder for Controlled Air Space in the Soup down to minimums Usually 200 ceiling and 1/2 Mile visibility but generally Aviation can take off Zero/ Zero Airlines or flying for hire 1600 feet forward visibility ,, Clearance IFR too VFR on Top ,,, old saying " There old pilots and bold pilots but there are no old pilots "

Agree.... Having said that, there are those who still manage to enter controlled airspace. I just pray that neither you or experience a near miss due to an ultralight or drone. See you on the tarmac. Safe flying my friend....P.S. Great real planes.......

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide