Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Critical Issue (01/25/16) RTH may result in the loss of your aircraft

Reaction score
Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

Critical Issue (01/25/16) We discovered a DJI firmware issue that prevents the aircraft from executing Return-to-Home (RTH) on RC signal loss when any third-party app is connected via the SDK. Our testing does show that RTH will activate when the critical battery level is reached (configured in DJI GO), but this may result in the loss of your aircraft if the home location is too distant. DJI indicated that this issue will be resolved in the next firmware update, but they have not given us a timeline. Until then, we strongly recommend that you do not operate Autopilot (or any third-party app) near the edge of signal range.​

Anyone know more about this?

I have never had a signal loss fire up the RTH (which I test nearly every flight location). Was planning some map runs and now staying put till I know what's up with this situation. (pun not intended;)

Reactions: Droider
@eldorado
I was going to start trails on Auto Pliot as soon as weather pick up. Have you tried turning RC 'OFF' while in 'Auto Pilot' to see if AC will come home? What to AP say about it?
I always test RTH before trusting a new location or flight plan.

I don't turn off the system generally if the RTH is performing normally. But since the battery sudden drop V cautions in Oct/Nov, and the winter chill affects on batts below 15ºc, my confidence plummeted.

That said. I am flying in -5C regularly on FW v.1.6.0.40, RC up to date, batts up to date and all batts at 20ºC or better on flight start and insulated during flight. No problems. My confidence in the Inspire had regained a new high until this FLAP notice.

I decided to fly the map test anyway, manually as the weather was so spectacular today.

The Inspire flew like an angel. Wow in fact. Smooth. Aggressive.

Very disappointed in DJI and their new SDK issues.

Now will have to test slowly to get confidence in those apps.

Sigh.

Autopilot - Autoflight Logic

Critical Issue (01/25/16) We discovered a DJI firmware issue that prevents the aircraft from executing Return-to-Home (RTH) on RC signal loss when any third-party app is connected via the SDK. Our testing does show that RTH will activate when the critical battery level is reached (configured in DJI GO), but this may result in the loss of your aircraft if the home location is too distant. DJI indicated that this issue will be resolved in the next firmware update, but they have not given us a timeline. Until then, we strongly recommend that you do not operate Autopilot (or any third-party app) near the edge of signal range.​

Anyone know more about this?

I have never had a signal loss fire up the RTH (which I test nearly every flight location). Was planning some map runs and now staying put till I know what's up with this situation. (pun not intended;)

I always test the RTH function when using any app even the Go app for the first time just to be sure. Today I was flying the Autopilot for DJI just playing around, I flew out about 1000 feet, then initiated the RTH function and it came home just like a charm, that said next time it may be different. I will be cautious with long distance flights until DJI and Autopilot get it worked out. I hope it's not too long cause I for one love the Autoflight Logic app, Lots of fun

I always test the RTH function when using any app even the Go app for the first time just to be sure. Today I was flying the Autopilot for DJI just playing around, I flew out about 1000 feet, then initiated the RTH function and it came home just like a charm, that said next time it may be different. I will be cautious with long distance flights until DJI and Autopilot get it worked out. I hope it's not too long cause I for one love the Autoflight Logic app, Lots of fun

Just to clarify, RTH will activate when the RC button is pressed. The issue happens when Autopilot is actively sending flight control commands and aircraft goes out range. In this case, the aircraft will not RTH and it will hover until signal is acquired (by getting closer to aircraft), or until the battery reaches the critical level configured in DJI GO. At this point, the aircraft will auto-land. DJI is aware of the issue and is working on a fix, since it is firmware issue.

Just to clarify, RTH will activate when the RC button is pressed. The issue happens when Autopilot is actively sending flight control commands and aircraft goes out range. In this case, the aircraft will not RTH and it will hover until signal is acquired (by getting closer to aircraft), or until the battery reaches the critical level configured in DJI GO. At this point, the aircraft will auto-land. DJI is aware of the issue and is working on a fix, since it is firmware issue.
Great clarity!
Thank you!

That's great to know I appreciate you telling me. Looking forward to the fix

So if the RC fails this is like the AC flying out of range and it will not return home?

So if the RC fails this is like the AC flying out of range and it will not return home?
Correct - it will auto land at that spot though.

This is ONLY in respect of apps running through the SDK, RTH on signal loss works fine running the Go app.

Roger that.. I have tested that and I know that works.. Was just going to start trailing AutoPilot to. :(
This issue only comes in to play when you intent to be operating at the edge of signal range. For normal use cases (no RC signal loss), Autopilot is unaffected.

Why would someone want to fly SDK app at the edge of of range...
i did some testing of different app's while having quiet some trees(AC at 320m) in between and occasionally a rooftop.
never had a problem, but i keep a finger close to the PAF switch and as soon as it's out of sight i watch the arrow on the track.And offcourse a spotter to asist me.
having to RTH i consider as a kind of pilot failure.
Biggest problem is the unreliable linking through the app's.

If one is using AP or Say FPV Camera and the bird goes out of range and this issue that Autopilot says occurs, can I simply open the dji app and fly it home with that, provided I close the AP app first?
Or will the dji app not connect at this point?

If one is using AP or Say FPV Camera and the bird goes out of range and this issue that Autopilot says occurs, can I simply open the dji app and fly it home with that, provided I close the AP app first?
Or will the dji app not connect at this point?
If the aircraft is truly out of signal range, then the choice of app won't matter - no software will be able to overcome this as it is a question of hardware / physics. As far as a waypoint mission executing with FPV, they use the SDK flight controller which supports LCMC, so it should continue, but you will need to confirm with FPV directly.

This issue only comes in to play when you intent to be operating at the edge of signal range. For normal use cases (no RC signal loss), Autopilot is unaffected.

OK, to clarify then, if you go out of range with the Inspire while flying Autopilot Flight Logic and you lose connection with bird from RC, are you saying it will hover until you get closer or land if battery is low?
If I am flying near the point of being out of range, five miles away, I doubt i will be able to get to the Inspire in time before auto land due to battery depletion.
If I am flying say 500 feet away and I lose connection while on Autopilot Flight Logic, will the issue happen in this case, i.e.. hover until I get closer, or will it RTH as normal then even without the RC?
Sorry to be so specific but we have to have absolute clarity as your answers have been somewhat confusing and not clear.

Thank you auto Flight Logic folks.

OK, to clarify then, if you go out of range with the Inspire while flying Autopilot Flight Logic and you lose connection with bird from RC, are you saying it will hover until you get closer or land if battery is low?
Yes

If I am flying near the point of being out of range, five miles away, I doubt i will be able to get to the Inspire in time before auto land due to battery depletion.
This is not recommended until DJI releases the firmware fix.

If I am flying say 500 feet away and I lose connection while on Autopilot Flight Logic, will the issue happen in this case, i.e.. hover until I get closer, or will it RTH as normal then even without the RC?
The distance doesn't matter. You could be right next to the aircraft, or 10,000 feet away. In either case, if signal is lost, the aircraft will just hover until it reaches critical battery. At that point it will either attempt to fly to the home point and land (if there is enough battery), or just perform an emergency landing.

Ok thanks.
So basically your software is safe to fly with as long as you do a regular mission but too far away then and as long as you can get closer to machine if need be due to signal loss, then you should be able to regain control or put it in P mode.
Going flying today with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk