Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Custom ICI Thermal Array Advice

Reaction score
What would I need to use my array in a ground based/tripod configuration? Or an aerial one? Background: ICI will not support nor discuss.
This array is an ICI (Designed for Honeywell), Custom Flare Stack Inspection Payload Comprised of an 8640 P-series Thermal Camera Paired with a Special Ordered LWIR 25-105mm Electronic Zoom/Focus Lens and RGB sensor.
I have:
  • An ICI 8640P thermal camera, paired with
  • A LWIR 25-105mm electronic zoom/focus lens that can be remotely controlled via windows software or from remote control via Drone,
  • Sony R10C RGB camera with,
  • Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS LE electronic zoom/focus lens
  • Gremsy H7 Gimbal setup for DJI M600,
  • Canlink,
  • Gremsy Circular Quick Release, and
  • Gremsy H7 Case.
ICI reports that they have very few of these [8640P thermal cameras] fail. Consequently, although I have been unable to test, I assume the custom payload is functional. I purchased this custom payload from a private seller and am under the impression it was originally located during auction of a storage unit. Having been located via storage unit makes this custom payload legitimately acquired. Not included are, at least, the: (ICI) Sensor Control Module (SCM), Dampening plate, Quick release, Gimbal cable pack, Gremsy batteries, UAV, or ICI support.

Noting here: ICI will not provide any discussion, instruction, specifications, or communications re via email, phone, text or any other means. ICI will not communicate re because this custom payload was built to a subsidiary of Honeywell’s custom specifications for flare stack inspections and they have a NDA.

However, this custom payload is the product of a year-long Honeywell/ICI design process. This custom payload unique for its designed use in flare stack inspections. Honeywell, and their subsidiary that purchased and operated it, were/are under the impression that it is either in their possession or destroyed. “Destruction by leaving in storage unit” was unsuccessful.

This custom payload is unique because it was originally sold to Honeywell and originally intended for use only within Honeywell facilities. Finally, this custom payload does not have any form of manuals or spec sheets because it was incorporated into the existing specialized inspection system Honeywell owned at the time.

However, if(?) ICI supported this custom payload [which they cannot due to the NDA] they would upgrade with the current gimbal. If ICI supported, which they do not, they would recommend the DJI M600 Pro as the Drone platform for this custom payload which they also sell and would integrate into this custom payload, again if they supported, but they do not, in-house to provide a complete turn-key solution. ICI’s very powerful Sensor Control Module (SCM) is built on a Raspberry Pi and available from their website.

Attachments

• H7.jpg
    H7.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
  • H16 pic.0.jpg
    H16 pic.0.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • H16 pic.1.jpg
    H16 pic.1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
  • H16 pic.3.jpg
    H16 pic.3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 6
  • H16 pic.5.jpg
    H16 pic.5.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • H16 pic.7.jpg
    H16 pic.7.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 5
  • H16 pic.13.jpg
    H16 pic.13.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5
  • H16 pic.14.jpg
    H16 pic.14.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
  • H16 pic.19.jpg
    H16 pic.19.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • H16 pic.20.jpg
    H16 pic.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Hi Grydsrt,

Have you considered approaching Honeywell ?

I'm guessing it (the kit) was never supposed to leave their possession.

In their eyes you don't have proprietary ownership (physical yes) - and that applies to ICI as well.

Best you could hope for is - a finders fee to return their equipment.

or possibly negotiate a purchase from them of their proprietary knowledge or consent for ICI to assist you.

Given it was an expensive bit of kit that walked away, they may not be to inclined to help.

Other than that its a great piece of equipment that's about as useful as a rock or wall ornament.

Cheers and good luck.

Hi Grydsrt,

Have you considered approaching Honeywell ?

I'm guessing it (the kit) was never supposed to leave their possession.

In their eyes you don't have proprietary ownership (physical yes) - and that applies to ICI as well.

Best you could hope for is - a finders fee to return their equipment.

or possibly negotiate a purchase from them of their proprietary knowledge or consent for ICI to assist you.

Given it was an expensive bit of kit that walked away, they may not be to inclined to help.

Other than that its a great piece of equipment that's about as useful as a rock or wall ornament.

Cheers and good luck.
Good points all.

Best being going through Honeywell …

Below is a pic of it, or a similar version, with the thermal housing removed.

I have wondered that if the zoom could be manipulated so that it is at max and then fixed there, whether it could be incorporated into another existing ICI-configured gimbal in the place of the RGB camera so that the other ICI thermal is available for wide viewing and this for close in?

I am equally interested in using it in a ground mounted configuration as my interest in either aerial or ground mounting is game location for recreational hunting.

Therefore, should anyone have ideas re the means by which its feed could be accessed via another, non-ICI, interface I would be interested? For instance, via a Gremsy gimbal with Herelink & Cube Pilot. See:

Attachments

• ICI Thermal.jpg
    ICI Thermal.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 2
Good points all.

Best being going through Honeywell …

Below is a pic of it, or a similar version, with the thermal housing removed.

I have wondered that if the zoom could be manipulated so that it is at max and then fixed there, whether it could be incorporated into another existing ICI-configured gimbal in the place of the RGB camera so that the other ICI thermal is available for wide viewing and this for close in?

I am equally interested in using it in a ground mounted configuration as my interest in either aerial or ground mounting is game location for recreational hunting.

Therefore, should anyone have ideas re the means by which its feed could be accessed via another, non-ICI, interface I would be interested? For instance, via a Gremsy gimbal with Herelink & Cube Pilot. See:
Without a schematic - no.

A schematic of?
You’re asking specific information on something that probably nobody has seen before or likely to see again regarding a proprietary/bespoke product that even the manufacturer will not release details on.
Although you assert you have legitimately acquired the item. How can this be claimed if you purchased it from a third party who informed you it was part of a junk/Container/lockup auction? This particular forum/community is DJI specific and since they use proprietary communication protocols you are unlikely to achieve what ’I think’ you are after which is lofting your payload airborne from an M600.

You’re asking specific information on something that probably nobody has seen before or likely to see again regarding a proprietary/bespoke product that even the manufacturer will not release details on.
Although you assert you have legitimately acquired the item. How can this be claimed if you purchased it from a third party who informed you it was part of a junk/Container/lockup auction? This particular forum/community is DJI specific and since they use proprietary communication protocols you are unlikely to achieve what ’I think’ you are after which is lofting your payload airborne from an M600.
To answer, I first would need your definition of having, "legitimately acquired the item." As in, what is your definition of illegitimately acquired? Moreover, it is mounted on a DJI Matrice 600 Pro, so likely this is the correct forum. Finally, beyond the zoom feature, it should be plug n play with any ICI configured DJI Matrice 600 Pro. Therefore, I feel relatively comfortable in my above diagnosis - now I simply need an ICI configured DJI Matrice 600 Pro to test. Just wondering about your legitimacy/illegitimacy point ^^^?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sjoby08