Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DIY Range Booster

Reaction score
Test video for a DIY P3/Inspire booster. He runs out of range at 2500m using stock P3 antennas. Then he puts the DIY boosters on and goes to 4100m where signal is still strong but he has to turn back due to batteries. That's a 64% increase. Not bad for less than $2 worth of material. Some folks using P3's are reporting up to a 3X increase. AND it doesn't require any drilling, wiring and won't void your warranty.

Kinda makes me wonder about the value of the $100-$500 mods. The battery after all will be the limiting factor it appears in any range increase like this. If we can get a 63-3000% increase in range for $2-25, that seems like a much better cost/benefit ratio to me than the expensive mods.

• Material required: cardboard, aluminum foil (or aluminum/copper tape)

• Tools required: printer, scissors, utility knife, glue, double tape (I use double tape to stick aluminium foil onto cardboard)

• DIY steps:

1. Print 2 copies of the PDF template on A4/Letter size paper (or direct on cardboard if your printer support) from the download link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EvPgvmsFJlcVZ3QU5BZlFkVkk/view?usp=sharing

2. Follow the steps: https://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/

Personally I bought these 3D printed shapes I found on eBay and you just add reflective foil ($25).

http://m.ebay.com/itm/121707656876

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437319823.077470.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437319838.079310.jpg

Here's another guys design:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437319867.545139.jpg

Note: I posted this info on Facebook and guys who do the mods and guys who have had it done were very quick to poo-poo the DIY solution, which is expected. One guy reportedly makes $60,000.00 USD/month doing antenna mods do he obviously has a vested interest :).

Anyway, for free/$25, I figured why not give it a try, so I am.

I'll post back here when I get a chance to test them.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outta Control
I have tried this too, it is quick and simple and yes it works. I would hazard a guess and say though that it is not as good in congested areas where interference could have an effect on range and the antenna mods would probably out perform these. I did what the chap in the video did, wait until the signal/video was choppy and stuck the reflectors on. Instantly improved signal, i didn't push it either but all i can say is it worked and i got several hundred meters more before i turned around at my choice, not through signal quality.

Just my thoughts and experience.

I have one of these on order and I'm pretty excited about using it. I never push the limits on my P3 but this very affordable mod should decrease any chances of possible signal losses (within reason of course.)

damoncooper, How did you get a line indicating the direction of your RC (it is visible at the right -bottom of your video)

Honestly don't believe these will work or are even needed, went flying today & I went 1.5 miles, yes miles not kilometres & I did not even loose a bar of signal, Im sure I could of done 2 or even more miles easily if it wasn't for the 30mph winds

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool