Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Geo-Fencing v. FAA LAANC

Reaction score
Website
www.altilux.com
Love my I2 (and I1), BUT over the last TWO days I was doing an important aerial filming project where the areas to film are in cities near airports. No problem since I use Airmap for instant LAANC authorization and all my filming sites are available. Has anyone else had issues with the Inspire 2 being out of sync with the FAA Facility Maps? It is too bad that DJI's Geo Fencing locations are not in sync with the US FAA LAANC Facility Maps.

Last edited:
Can you post you exact shoot location? A street address or a pair of crossing streets would suffice.

Thanks Forby. On a new project now, but will try and post something. About any airport area can be looked at to discover that the DJI Geo-fencing is out of sync with the FAA Facility Maps. Granted you can try and fiddle with unlocking the 'Authorization' areas, but DJI is using circles and now the FAA is using squares. I can imagine circles are easier, but there are always going to be issues. Airmap is using squares that seem to be in sync with the FAA.

It's always been this way. DJI uses different parameters than FAA. It would be nice if they followed FAA.

In our checklist we have lines for get waiver from airman AND get unlocked from DJI. I don't know who they think they are, but I hope someday that account case comes down disallowing DJI's control over licensed pilots.

Totally concur. The FAA Facility Maps (LAANC) are now the rules we fly under (and now for recreational pilots). If DJI is trying to impress the FAA that they can keep their aircraft grounded in restricted areas, then they should focus on the AGL=0' areas. I still have issues with a manufacturer (from any country) interfering with commerce by being able to ground aircraft that has been purchased and flown by the owner. Every Part 107 PIC that I know adhere strictly to FAA regs and airspace rules. And now with the LAANC in place for recreational pilots, I think there will be a new community learning how to respect US airspace. And that is good. I think Geo-fencing is past its 'prime'.

I don’t see any attempt to make these anything but separate systems. Even the shapes are different. DJI has gone to a bow-tie shape and LAANC grid layouts are basically circular. Unlocking the aircraft and getting permission are two different activities.

True Eric, but I think my central point is to simply cease Geo-Fencing. It certainly appears that Airmap accurately deals with LAANC maps, so it is not impossible. But the real issue is whether a company should be able to disable the products that professional users have purchased. Indeed they are separate, but should they be in sync?

True Eric, but I think my central point is to simply cease Geo-Fencing. It certainly appears that Airmap accurately deals with LAANC maps, so it is not impossible. But the real issue is whether a company should be able to disable the products that professional users have purchased. Indeed they are separate, but should they be in sync?
Oh, God, I SO agree. I've fantasized about carrying an Inspire 2 with a heavy lift so we can get all the X7 goodness without the nannyware. Yes, DJI needs to get out of the business of nannying professionals. We fly with permits, cops, closed sets. Get off our backs, please, DJI!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela