Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Inspire 1 Pro - Output 1080i instead of 720p?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a client who would like to take a 1080i feed from the HDMI output on the back of the transmitter rather than the 720p feed that is normally used.

720p is about the same amount of data as 1080i (not 1080p, obviously) from what I understand. Is this possible or am i up against a hardware/ software limitation of the machine?

Nope, only 720p is encoded/sent down.

Besides, I don't know why you'd want to view an interlaced stream from progressive captured content... A proper 1080i stream could only be derived if shooting 1080p50/60 and would require specific processing form the camera.

@Kilrah Thanks for the reply.

The client is asking because we're mixing into other signals for broadcast which are 1080i. They're going to have to convert my footage but it will be difficult with one source coming in as another type.

You'll need to upscale. Just as an aside, Lightbridge is messy for broadcast. It breaks up much more than we realize. If you have any custom birds, Connex is pretty excellent, delivers clean 1080p and breaks up much more subtly than Lightbridge.

Yup - the 720p output from the remote is pretty messy. The other thing to bear in mind is even if the output is timebase corrected and genlocked HDMI handshake can be a funny animal and some equipment needs a complete disconnect if the data stream/sync is interrupted.
It can be done but careful testing should be undertaken first.

Here is an interesting one i found after some testing around the video link

The Inspire has an average bitrate in good signal in Auto of 900kbps based on cached video BR, the P3 and P4 will not too much over 700kbps

Now the Interesting bit around the H264 Codec

The P3 and 4 use Normal Level 4 where as the Inspire uses High Level 5

Obviously all at 720p but the inspire Lb feed does have a little edge over the P3/4

Some useless info for you [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: The Editor
The video quality being sent down, though adequate for seeing what you're doing, is pretty bad for broadcast purposes. It may be 720P but the strobing effect about every second is nasty and not broadcast worthy in my view.

Brian.

Hi Guys,

I'm late into this thread and I've also just had a client ask for a 1080i output from the HDMI out of the back of the remote, i wondering if 720p is still the max that can be outputted? and if its still very poor quality?

i wondering if 720p is still the max that can be outputted? and if its still very poor quality?
Yes and...yes.
There is no way to increase the quality over and above the standard Lightbridge feed.

Just wondering why a client would want 1080i? I usually find 720p cleaner and you loose circa 1/3 resolution on interlaced footage in any case due to the Kell factor.

Video is very data hungry and the higher the resolution and quality the higher the data rate required. In order to get higher bandwidth you need to transmit at higher power -- all things being equal, and therein lies the problem. Do you want your drone to devote 80% of it's battery to flying the drone or do you want to siphon off much more of the battery to power your comm link.

When NASA sends multi-billion dollar probes to the farthest reaches of the solar system they incorporate high gain antennas on the craft and use very large dish antennas on Earth but the further away the craft is the lower the bit rate. At the distance to Pluto it would take hours to send a single high resolution image and video is out of the question completely.

Your call!

Brian

Hi Guys,

I'm late into this thread and I've also just had a client ask for a 1080i output from the HDMI out of the back of the remote, i wondering if 720p is still the max that can be outputted? and if its still very poor quality?
You'll need to do an updown conversion somewhere...hopefully they are capable to do that. The newer lightbridge does 1080p now...not that it helps...sorry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop