Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Inspire 1 repair tutorials

Reaction score
Hi,

Today I bought a damaged Inspire 1 to take apart, try to repair and put back together -or try at least. If not I'm hoping to use it as as spares and or sell spare parts etc all the while creating some video and blog posts to share any knowledge. I just need to know that there is enough interest in this to do edits and make it worth the effort!

Some of the existing shots are here on my Twitter feed ...
https://twitter.com/SupaSympa

(and attached)

If you're interested, please follow me on Twitter & Instagram and tell me you're keen and get in contact via my blog :

Twitter & Instagram : @supasympa
http://blog.supasympa.com

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.06.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.06.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 349
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.24.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.24.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.17.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.17.png
    900.9 KB · Views: 325
  • Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.32.png
    Screen Shot 2015-02-21 at 19.48.32.png
    1 MB · Views: 328
Last edited:
Thx for sharing, personally I'll leave to the professionals, I'm good at mechanics and electronics but would crap myself every time I flew if I rebuilt a quad. :D

@lrwskyfilms - I understand completely. I'm dismantling it mostly for knowledge and unless I'm completely happy with it I'll never fly the one I'm taking apart again. I do hope however that for anything outside of electronics this should be straight forward mechanics, glue screws and bolts!

*DISCLAIMER - I AM NOT RECCOMENDING ANYONE TAKE APART AND ATTEMPT TO REPAIR AN INSPIRE1 YOU'LL LIKELY VOID YOUR WARRANTY*

... but if you're stuck or you'd like to know what's going on inside the aircraft - I'm hoping I can help!

Yes you can count me in on this.
Very interesting to see this.Gives a better understanding of the Inspire.
I'm not on twitter or whatever,so any photo or video is ok.

I'll be following for sure.

I'm an engineer and pretty much everything I own has been at least taken apart out of curiosity when not modded, even expensive stuff... the Inspire being THE notable exception. And I'd love seeing the details... but for once can't get up to it.

I'll be very interested in learning your build process. We're taking our I1 apart next week to get the carbon parts digitized.
The problem w/ I1 is the bodyweight will put a lot of leverage on the legs and joints, even a 5~6 ft drop on dirt. but if we make the legs too rigid, the leverage will transfer impact energy onto the body and cause damages that's harder to repair.

Supasympa, I just followed you on Twitter. YES, very interested in repair videos. Thanks!

Gogowanda: Are you going to digitize the props as well? Or, is that not possible?...

Hi,

Today I bought a damaged Inspire 1 to take apart, try to repair and put back together -or try at least. If not I'm hoping to use it as as spares and or sell spare parts etc all the while creating some video and blog posts to share any knowledge. I just need to know that there is enough interest in this to do edits and make it worth the effort!

(and attached)

If you're interested, please follow me on Twitter & Instagram and tell me you're keen and get in contact via my blog :

Thanks

Right there with Ya!! Not ready to do any dismantling and tweaks voiding the warranty not just yet.. But like the phantom I think it's safe to say, we live and we learn.. Mods, tweaks, and of course curiosity lol... Bought and Paid for, the rest will follow lol... Looking forward to your input[emoji6]!!

yes, thanks. i have a hard time sending anything mechanical to someone else to be fixed, thank you!

Hi,

(and attached)

Thanks
where did you buy the damaged inspire? I would like to do some similar experimenting as well.

Hi,

So from the limited dismantling of the frame I did over the weekend, here are a couple of (surprising) things I've learned:

* The carbon fibre arms (legs / booms - whatever) are single pieces of CF with holes in the middle to feed the wires from the CF lever arms that lift them.
* The plastic mounts at the end of the arm are bonded to the carbon fibre with what I'm guessing is epoxy or CA.
* The shock absorbers that are formed as part of the Inspire 1 feet are bonded to the plastic - effectively creating a single sealed part (again I expect that is bonded with CA)

What does this mean? I have a list of spares that DJI are offering for the Inspire 1 and neither the landing gear feet, frame arms or shocks are on that list.

If you have a rough landing, or worse still a crash, and damage any of these things it's going to be VERY difficult to fix this without returning the whole aircraft to DJI or (I'm guessing) an approved dealer. I understand several reasons for this, from a safety perspective but ultimately I think this is a business decision on the part of DJI.

I think that it might be useful for us Inspire Pilots to setup a virtual scrap yard on here so that we might be able to trade parts!

more to follow ...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    813.3 KB · Views: 201
I'll be very interested in learning your build process. We're taking our I1 apart next week to get the carbon parts digitized.
The problem w/ I1 is the bodyweight will put a lot of leverage on the legs and joints, even a 5~6 ft drop on dirt. but if we make the legs too rigid, the leverage will transfer impact energy onto the body and cause damages that's harder to repair.

@gogowanda - Good luck with your dismantling - I'd watch out for the bonded parts! I think stripping the aircraft down can only go so far without having to replace the plastic parts.

If anyone can shed any light on how it might be possible to "unbind" the plastic from the CF non destructively I'm very keen to hear!

@gogowanda - Good luck with your dismantling - I'd watch out for the bonded parts! I think stripping the aircraft down can only go so far without having to replace the plastic parts.

If anyone can shed any light on how it might be possible to "unbind" the plastic from the CF non destructively I'm very keen to hear!

You can get CA debonder - it works well, but can take quite a bit of time to work through the bond as you can imagine. I have found it can take several hours just to debond small items (of just a few mm), so larger items are going to take longer & require a lot of debonder - but it does work !

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__8458__Un_Cure_CA_Debonder_1_oz.html

You can get CA debonder - it works well, but can take quite a bit of time to work through the bond as you can imagine. I have found it can take several hours just to debond small items (of just a few mm), so larger items are going to take longer & require a lot of debonder - but it does work !

http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/store/__8458__Un_Cure_CA_Debonder_1_oz.html

Thanks Paul - I've got some Acetone - which I'm hoping will work. I need to figure out if this is epoxy or CA first - if it's epoxy I'm not even sure it would be possible to remove the CF arm without doing something like grinding / sanding it down - which really sucks.

On the S1000 & S900 the replacement arms look like they are riveted to the plastic parts.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips