Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI NFZ / GEO. Should DJI Restrict Commercial Operators?

Should DJI allow gov't certified operators to opt out of their NFZ / GEO system with verification?

• 1. No, DJI knows Best

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Yes, DJI has no role in restricting Government Certified operators.

Votes: 42 100.0%
  • 3. Don't really care one way or the other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Every part 107 pilot should know that.
Not sure where this thread is going. Anyone violently opposed to DJI software restrictions should not buy DJI. NFZ opt out is quite simple. End of problem.

Agreed! But what are the options? I got a 3DR Solo after owning 2 Phantoms, were is 3DR now! So I'm back with DJI with the I2. DJI has almost a monopoly.

So fly DJI. What is your concern? They don't have a monopoly, as the word is defined. They sell a good product.

After reading your reply I'm starting to believe I miss understood the topic.
I believe the topic was:
As a commercial pilot, if I take a job inside a restricted area, and I apply for the proper clearance and the FAA grants me the clearance, I can not do the job because my DJI drone will not take flight.
I understand I don't have to take a job inside a restricted area, I also understand I don't have to a buy DJI drone (my point being the choices are limited), and I also know I can choose another profession, but I believe that was not the topic.
The question is - should DJI keep us from getting jobs in a restricted area when we have the proper FAA approval?

After reading your reply I'm starting to believe I miss understood the topic.
I believe the topic was:
As a commercial pilot, if I take a job inside a restricted area, and I apply for the proper clearance and the FAA grants me the clearance, I can not do the job because my DJI drone will not take flight.
I understand I don't have to take a job inside a restricted area, I also understand I don't have to a buy DJI drone (my point being the choices are limited), and I also know I can choose another profession, but I believe that was not the topic.
The question is - should DJI keep us from getting jobs in a restricted area when we have the proper FAA approval?

"The question is - should DJI keep us from getting jobs in a restricted area when we have the proper FAA approval?' NO, it sucks, I think we agree with that premise. However, there's the world we would like to live in and the one we live in. DJI has cornered the market and they chose the NFZ route (they do have a process in place to unlock NFZs if the pilot has clearance. I have used it and it is pretty painless) . But, it is what it is. IMHO, Nothing we say here is likely to change their outlook on the issue...

I'd be a hell of a lot more worried about our Iphones than our Phantoms...

You mean the iPhones that are connected to our Phantoms?

I don't feel the need for a tinfoil hat when it comes to using Chinese products. However, I do have concerns with DJI data security policies (or lack thereof), insecure APIs, and lack of opt-out ability for data harvesting.

As for GEO and NFZ, I am not at all surprised to see the vote is 31 against and 0 in favor.

Once DJI had a firmware update that would NOT allow the props to start without the GPS plugged in, I simply installed a small toggle switch that interrupts the power supply going to the GPS module.
After I energize the motors, I simply walk up and flip the toggle switch.
(I never film in GPS mode anyways, not too smooth compared to ATTI).
I work in and around airports every week for 2 years and I do not know what it is like to experience DJI Geo Fence - lol

I am FAA107 certified and I also fly Yuneec typhoon H and I signed a form releasing them from NFZ responsibility..... and I am unlocked everywhere..........

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela