Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dji pilot app not for ios anymore ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am awaiting my Inspire to be delivered. I bought an Ipad Air 2, I downloaded the IOS Pilot App from the dropbox link that Bama kindly provided and used ifunbox. It took me 10 minutes to install instead of the couple of minutes it would have taken through the app store.
Not a problem. I'm happy.

One reason is that the safari I have on my ipad air 2 will not download it and the second is why use ifunbox if you don't need it. All I had to do is click on the link and it added the app to my ipad without doing anything else.....now that is easy.

Okay, I understand the frustration, this arrangement isn't exactly the way it was presented by DJI. I do hope that it's corrected, for the sake of DJI & all of us, before regulatory agencies & lawyers get involved. If that happens then it could be years before we get anything resolved. HOWEVER, with the current circumstances, it seems that if you'd prefer to fly the Inspire 1 before D.C. & the FAA issue a moratorium on all UAV flights, installing iFunbox on a PC is a pretty simple hurdle to overcome. If you don't have a PC then perhaps your priorities aren't in order & if you can't figure out how to install iFunbox then it's likely that operating an Inspire 1 is probably beyond the capacity of your brain to manage.

Wormwood

I never said I did not have a PC as you indicated.......I said the only ios device I have is an ipad air 2. I have been working with computers in finance for 30+ years. I never said I could not figure out how to download iFunbox, I never tried. The download in Google was the one that safari would not let me download. I said why do that when all I had to do was click on the link I posted and it downloaded the pilot app to my ipad without doing anything else. If you want to talk about diminished brain capacity address your remarks to the idiot you see when you look in the mirror.

Last edited:
Wow - approx $4,000 later and upon receipt (for which I paid for accelerated shipping so that I could use the Inspire on the weekend), I get an Inspire that apparently needs "prop locks??" and has no iOS app. I am an iOS only person, so I currently have a very expensive paperweight. This is always my greatest fear in dealing with SE Asian companies--Low proactivity, hard to reach, harder to understand, and a profound lack of concern about customer satisfaction after the sale. There is no translation for "service after the sale" or "end-to-end customer satisfaction" as is exemplified by this transcript:

-----------------------------------

hi

welcome to DJI

how can I help you

09:06:16
I just received my new Inspire 1 but am having some difficulty--I was told that you have an iOS app and all the training videos show the trainers using an iPad but I cannot find the app and so cannot use my new $4000 quad

09:07:21
This is profoundly upsetting to me--I called before purchase and was told that your device works with iOS--I would not have purchased it if I could not use an iPad as I do not own any android devices.

we are so sorry for the inconvenience , for ios app , please kindly wait about 2 weeks

09:08:53
That is not OK, I did not buy this to wait two weeks to use it. I was told by your staff and B and H Photo the dealer I bought it from that you have iPad capability.

I want a manager or someone with some kind of authority to contact me by phone at 1 (406) 579-3636 -- now!

we are so sorry for the inconvenience , please kindly click on the link which one of our customer send to me , maybe you can get some information inside

http://www.inspirepilots.com/threads/dji-pilot-app-not-for-ios-anymore.551/

09:11:53
This is known as a "Bait and Switch" and in the United States is illegal.

09:14:39
I am so sorry for the inconvenience , since our own app still under process for the permission from apple company , this is only way you can get it from other customers sharing

there is no problem for your solve the problem for a short time

But is the app stable and is that the current version???

09:15:39
I am so sorry??? How would you feel if you had spent approx $4,000 and now you could not use it???

I even paid for extra shipping to get it here for the weekend....

09:16:45
this app is stable and newest version , you can use it , many of our cusomer choose this way

What is the latest version of the app???

09:18:02
can you checksum the app??

09:19:18
why was it pulled from the app store???

09:27:00
Hello??

09:28:30
hi , sorry Sir

if you are worry to use that one , please kindly wait some days , we need to get the permission form Apple

09:29:31
You haven't answered my questions??

09:30:34
apple company force on it

What are the MAJOR issues I should look out for as a new Inspire Pilot and what is this I hear about propeller problems??

we already ship out the prop lock , there is no problem for now

please ask you dealer send you the lock

09:31:35
prop lock??

I did not get a prop lock???

we already start the shipping to dealer's shop

you can call you dealer to get the lock

It's Friday and I live in Montana -- how the hell am I going to get a prop lock here????

09:32:45
Get me to someone well above your level - - NOW!

09:34:50
Customers in North America:
Please call +1 (818) 235 0789 Mon-Fri 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (PST) , or email to [email protected]

--------------------------------------

I am now on hold in my tenth minute of the estimated less than 4 minute wait time...

I have been flying without the prop locks as well with no issues. I just make sure to tighten them well. As for the iOS app it's been working flawlessly for me.

i flew one time without prop locks and with the iOS app.....worked flawlessly....really want to fly more but waiting for the prop locks just out of pure nervousness

For Dji to get around the video issue, then we will all end up buying the video out adaptor from apple. This may be the only way around it. Won't look as nice as just a lead, but at least it should all work and be on the App Store.

Can someone please tell me what tablet I should purchase for my new Inspire 1 quad? I need a tablet and own Apple products but I do not know if I should invest in another Apple tablet since DJI does not have an app yet. Suggestions?

Suggest the Apple Mini 2, Model number with 16 GB at a minimum: ME279LL/A

If you need more memory, move to 32 GB model. But i am using this ME279LL/A..

Hope that helps.

Quadpilot,
I used to subscribe to your mindset, what's evident in your post is congruent with a traditional (post WW2) FAA inspector who balks at the glass cockpit while referring to his instruments filled with spirits & heavy mechanical gyros to provide the neccessary information as to an aircrafts orientation. It's this same stubborn attitude that's choked the development of aviation over the years & using the safety record as proof they are correct with their methods & procedures. Blah blah blah...
The problem comes in with the average layman who has ALWAYS wanted to fly, but the costs have put all but the simulators out of reach. Now, with the advent of UAV's & FPV equipment the average person CAN & is flying, sorta... This has grown into an industry right under the FAA's nose, they were just to arrogant to even recognize it & it's potential. Now, the FAA is playing catch up & CYA, but wait they have no control over these people!! The normal FAA tactics of pulling license, grounding aircraft, & suspending repair certificates until you pay homage to the FAA gods, doesn't work with these folks, so what does the FAA do? EVERY LEGAL OR POLITICAL TRICK IN THE BOOK. It's got nothing to do with safety right now, but everything about covering their *** & incorporating UAV's into their authority. The FAA was perfectly comfortable just the way things were, well funded, & able to move at their own pace, oh & they just burdened the industry with any expense such as AD's, obsolete flight systems, & anything else that might cut into their salaries. All of us in the industry said "yes sir FAA", because we couldn't afford to lose our license's, certs., etc. we did so without question. This created a shell where the FAA & those in the industry were shielded from the outside world, the FAA had complete control of what & who came into this shell & was allowed to stay. This was wrong, terribly wrong & were just beginning to find out how bad the aviation industry is in the U.S. I predict before the rules are in place for UAV's you'll see a complete overhaul of the FAA possibly desolution of the agency in favor of a more accountable group of agency's in order to prevent this dictatorship style of governing the FAA has been caught doing.

I'm an A/P have been in general & corporate aviation all my life, I thought Mrs. Beech was my grandmother until I was about 10 years old, because we were constantly flying up there to spend the weekend with them. Our local FSDO is right next door to us, so I KNOW the FAA. I'm not proud of what I said above, nor am I comfortable with it, as being one of those inside this FAA shell it's uncomfortable seeing UAV's buzzing around without a N# or CoA but that's a sign of the times. It's time to change guys.
I find your statement quite logical and accurate. Much like NACA, the FAA has become a bloated, self-serving bureaucracy (as most do). NACA was replaced with NASA (which has now become a bloated, self-serving bureaucracy). It is time to replace the FAA and break it up a bit (yes, they will each become bloated bureaucracies, themselves). But first, the US will probably over-react and the FAA will try to make a last-ditch effort to shore up its power. Have you noticed that I've never mentioned the word "safety"?

Suggest the Apple Mini 2, Model number with 16 GB at a minimum: ME279LL/A

If you need more memory, move to 32 GB model. But i am using this ME279LL/A..

Hope that helps.
Thank you but being Apple has no app for this drone I am reluctant to purchase an I pad.

I just received my my inspire and am also thinking it may have to go back. This is far from my first drone but I am not excited about getting an android tablet with lots of apple gear laying around.

I appreciate the smart replies above about being to stupid to install ifunbox etc but the issue I am running into is that none of my windows machines had iTunes installed. When fun box is installed it says it requires iTunes to be installed so no problem right? I do this. I have been unable to get Ifunbox to run on two separate machines both with the latest version of iTunes as that's all I can install. I get an error that says unable to load IOS device drivers in ifunbox. Upon doing a search I found a post that says the latest version of iTunes 1/31/2015 blocks programs such as ifunbox.

I just received my my inspire and am also thinking it may have to go back. This is far from my first drone but I am not excited about getting an android tablet with lots of apple gear laying around.

I appreciate the smart replies above about being to stupid to install ifunbox etc but the issue I am running into is that none of my windows machines had iTunes installed. When fun box is installed it says it requires iTunes to be installed so no problem right? I do this. I have been unable to get Ifunbox to run on two separate machines both with the latest version of iTunes as that's all I can install. I get an error that says unable to load IOS device drivers in ifunbox. Upon doing a search I found a post that says the latest version of iTunes 1/31/2015 blocks programs such as ifunbox.

FWIW - I installed the Pilot App on a new iPad Air 2 yesterday using iFunbox. But, I use a macbook and was told NOT to have iTunes open when using it. It didn't work the first time, ifunbox couldn't "find" the iPad. I restarted my computer and then it worked fine with no issues. Are you sure you need iTunes open? Just trying to help . . .

upload the XXX.ipa to www.diawi.com, and it will give you a magic link.
visit that link from safari on your ipad and the app will be downloaded and installed on that ipad

this technique does not require funbox

share the diawi magic link with your friends, after you ave downloaded the app to all your devices

upload the XXX.ipa to www.diawi.com, and it will give you a magic link.
visit that link from safari on your ipad and the app will be downloaded and installed on that ipad

this technique does not require funbox

share the diawi magic link with your friends, after you ave downloaded the app to all your devices
I tried that yesterday and it no longer works

Thanks for all the replys they are appreciated. iTunes cannot be open but must be installed started poking around on ifunbox and saw they had a link to their Facebook page. I thought I would leave a comment looking for help but the issue was already addressed there with a link to a version that works with the newest version of iTunes.

Instant Success!! It might be a nice link to add on their download page it would have saved me hours but hey it's free.

I also did know the Mac version worked any more as it is pretty old.

Hey guys, same problem here
I only have Mac, so I downloaded Xcode from the App Store on my Mac, it's free!
Connect your iPad to your Mac with a lightning connector, go to 'window' - 'devices' select your iPad from the list on the left hand table. add the previously downloaded .ipa file ( previously listed on Dropbox in this thread) by either dragging it onto the main window or using the 'plus' symbol
Then hey presto it is on your device. It takes seconds. I have it in all my iPads and my iPhone too this way.
Hope this helps.

No need for iTunes or syncing etc.

Getting really tired of all the crying about prop locks and no official iOS. If it bothers you don't buy an Inspire. Pretty sure there are over 10,000 inspires out there now... As a best guess. Maybe five units had the props fly off, for whatever reason. Mine never did... and I don't know of anyone else who had the issue. There are some videos with incredibly aggressive maneuvers to show that they don't fly off. The prop locks are a free, simple, and easy to use safety blanket if you you are concerned. As for the iOS the app is easily available online and all it takes is a little effort to find and install. It works perfectly on the latest Apple devices. There is a legitimate concern at this point when and maybe even if the app will become official. It's been three weeks past the supposed fix date, with no official word coming from DJI.... Not a optimal practice keeping customers in the dark..... Until such time that the Android version continues to advance and all the the new bells and whistles are in that version there isn't an issue. If that happens a few months from now and no iOS is available I might have to spend another $250.00 to get an Android Tablet. An extra HC Battery costs $200.00. If you are using this for any serious flying you'll need a couple of them or three or four standard batteries.... So what's another $250.00. Point is that the Inspire is a pretty amazing piece of equipment. I won't be happy to have to spend another $250.00 bucks, but for me it's more than worth it as a cost of flying this amazing machine. If Go Pro or someone else builds a better mousetrap, then so be it, but for now there isn't anything close in this price range. I'm flying mine with an iPad Mini, WiFi only and having a ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alecia4669