Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dji pilot app not for ios anymore ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you understand the current political climate? This has nothing to do with my personal appetite for risk. This has to do with a hard push by the FAA to regulate quads to the point where no one can fly them, with full support of certain members of Congress (like Diann Feinstein). This has to do with a government that is anxiously awaiting an opportunity to overregulate and not wanting to give them that opportunity. I started flying RC aircraft in the early 1970s, and the political climate was NOTHING like it is right now. The success of the quad market and the implication that anyone with a pulse can now be out there flying one has changed the landscape significantly. Don't shoot the messenger - let's figure out how to solve it (or at least not make it worse). That starts with manufacturers not being tone deaf to what's going on out there.

As a retired airline pilot and currently working for a major aircraft manufacturer teaching foreign pilots how to fly their latest airliner, I do think I understand what the FAA is about and what their stance is regarding UAVs, particularly small UAS weighing less than 55 lbs. This has less to do with the "current political climate" than with the technical issues of licensing, education, certification and enforcement. Regulation of the UAV industry is not just limited to the impact of small consumer multirotors, but the regulatory environment will have to contend with much more complex craft with greater endurance, max altitudes, weights, and missions than FPV flying or aerial photography/videography.

But I was answering your post about your unhappiness with DJI and the not-problem-free Inspire launch. And trying to convey to you that the issues that have come up are no different, and in most cases much less alarming, than those accompanying the launches of other high tech products. As a matter of fact, unlike your "tone deaf" accusation, I think DJI has been in the forefront of attending to concerns about improper flying of these products by baking in max ceiling, distance and restricted area no-fly zones into their flight controller, much to the consternation of many on this forum who would prefer none. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If you're not happy with their product, move on. There are plenty of alternatives. See how well they deal with your concerns.

My impression from an admittedly anecdotal survey of Inspire mishaps is that a number of them could reasonably be attributed to inexperienced users unfamiliar with the functions of this complex machine. It has a steep learning curve, contrary to some of DJI's over the top marketing. It's not a beginner drone. That's why I asked the question about your experience level, not to belittle you, but to assess your understanding of the current state of drone technology.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

As a retired airline pilot and currently working for a major aircraft manufacturer teaching foreign pilots how to fly their latest airliner, I do think I understand what the FAA is about and what their stance is regarding UAVs, particularly small UAS weighing less than 55 lbs.

If you're a retired ATP and current instructor then I'm certainly not going to question your familiarity with the FAA. Understand though that as a lowly VFR-only PP-ASEL I have some familiarity with them too.

I am, as I've said, also watching the developing politics, which are quite different than they were just six months ago. I'm sure you're aware that the FAA has solicited pireps of UAV sightings and I'm sure you're also aware that they are being reported to/by the mainstream media as near-collisions with airliners, even when the UAV is at a markedly different altitude and far from a collision course. The result is growing unease by the non-UAV-flying public that their safety is being endangered. This sort of thing often results in calls to legislators to "do something."

This has led, among other things, to recently reported legislation in New York City which, if it passes, will effectively ban UAV operation anywhere inside the five boroughs. If that effort succeeds, expect other municipalities to follow suit, challenging the UAV community to file suit claiming municipalities lack jurisdiction over the NAS. Meanwhile the FAA has somewhat tipped its hand regarding what it wants of UAV operators, at least those of us who might want to sell the footage we capture, by requiring a private pilot certificate and current third class medical for operation of a UAV under 55 pounds.

Regulation of the UAV industry is not just limited to the impact of small consumer multirotors, but the regulatory environment will have to contend with much more complex craft with greater endurance, max altitudes, weights, and missions than FPV flying or aerial photography/videography.

And if they were planning on confining their regulatory efforts to those craft, there would be no issue. But clearly they're not.

But I was answering your post about your unhappiness with DJI and the not-problem-free Inspire launch. And trying to convey to you that the issues that have come up are no different, and in most cases much less alarming, than those accompanying the launches of other high tech products.

Earlier on, I would argue, the threat of overregulation was less.

My impression from an admittedly anecdotal survey of Inspire mishaps is that a number of them could reasonably be attributed to inexperienced users unfamiliar with the functions of this complex machine. It has a steep learning curve, contrary to some of DJI's over the top marketing. It's not a beginner drone.

And part of my criticism has been precisely that "anyone with a pulse can fly one" marketing effort, first of all putting these craft in the hands of people who don't realize you don't just push "go" and get pretty pictures, and compounding the problem through inadequate beta testing (thus the after-the-fact need for prop locks, emergency firmware updates due to flyaways, etc.).

My concern is that if DJI and other companies like it aren't more careful, they could impact the entire marketplace in a way that could set it back years, perhaps decades. It's not just a matter of "buy something else." It's a matter of not wanting to be grounded indefinitely, regardless of what product I own, because someone got careless.

All they need to do is have the app up by weeks end. If that happens, case closed.

I saw a copy of email chat between DJI support and Inspire owner on the Facebook inspire group.. Time stamp on email was 16:15 today. (18th). I couldn't copy/paste it as it was a copy of the email. In a nutshell, after apologizing for the delay, the support person said the new IOS pilot app would be available in a week. Also confirmed that those that wanted to use the .9xx beta could use it until the app came out. A working pilot app is available to android users. Now we wait and see.

I saw a copy of email chat between DJI support and Inspire owner on the Facebook inspire group.. Time stamp on email was 16:15 today. (18th). I couldn't copy/paste it as it was a copy of the email. In a nutshell, after apologizing for the delay, the support person said the new IOS pilot app would be available in a week. Also confirmed that those that wanted to use the .9xx beta could use it until the app came out. A working pilot app is available to android users. Now we wait and see.
This link worked for me for a reinstall of the apple app

http://install.diawi.com/QqqLHb

Sent from my Dev Note 4

No one has had their iPads "messed up".
DJI have pulled support for iPad for the minute, supposidly until they get the official nod from Apple. They pulled their download links. The ones you see floating around are a backup of the app file. They work (I've tried them), and are completely unofficial but will get you up and running with iOS.

Quadpilot and Mohan, Thanks for holding me over. Pete Gould thanks for your input on the current state of regulations.

Any input on this

Should I update the firmware to v1.2.0.16 while using pilot 0.9.1?

I'm using an ipad air 2

As a retired airline pilot and currently working for a major aircraft manufacturer teaching foreign pilots how to fly their latest airliner, I do think I understand what the FAA is about and what their stance is regarding UAVs, particularly small UAS weighing less than 55 lbs. This has less to do with the "current political climate" than with the technical issues of licensing, education, certification and enforcement. Regulation of the UAV industry is not just limited to the impact of small consumer multirotors, but the regulatory environment will have to contend with much more complex craft with greater endurance, max altitudes, weights, and missions than FPV flying or aerial photography/videography.

But I was answering your post about your unhappiness with DJI and the not-problem-free Inspire launch. And trying to convey to you that the issues that have come up are no different, and in most cases much less alarming, than those accompanying the launches of other high tech products. As a matter of fact, unlike your "tone deaf" accusation, I think DJI has been in the forefront of attending to concerns about improper flying of these products by baking in max ceiling, distance and restricted area no-fly zones into their flight controller, much to the consternation of many on this forum who would prefer none. Damned if they do, damned if they don't. If you're not happy with their product, move on. There are plenty of alternatives. See how well they deal with your concerns.

My impression from an admittedly anecdotal survey of Inspire mishaps is that a number of them could reasonably be attributed to inexperienced users unfamiliar with the functions of this complex machine. It has a steep learning curve, contrary to some of DJI's over the top marketing. It's not a beginner drone. That's why I asked the question about your experience level, not to belittle you, but to assess your understanding of the current state of drone technology.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best.

Quadpilot,
I used to subscribe to your mindset, what's evident in your post is congruent with a traditional (post WW2) FAA inspector who balks at the glass cockpit while referring to his instruments filled with spirits & heavy mechanical gyros to provide the neccessary information as to an aircrafts orientation. It's this same stubborn attitude that's choked the development of aviation over the years & using the safety record as proof they are correct with their methods & procedures. Blah blah blah...
The problem comes in with the average layman who has ALWAYS wanted to fly, but the costs have put all but the simulators out of reach. Now, with the advent of UAV's & FPV equipment the average person CAN & is flying, sorta... This has grown into an industry right under the FAA's nose, they were just to arrogant to even recognize it & it's potential. Now, the FAA is playing catch up & CYA, but wait they have no control over these people!! The normal FAA tactics of pulling license, grounding aircraft, & suspending repair certificates until you pay homage to the FAA gods, doesn't work with these folks, so what does the FAA do? EVERY LEGAL OR POLITICAL TRICK IN THE BOOK. It's got nothing to do with safety right now, but everything about covering their *** & incorporating UAV's into their authority. The FAA was perfectly comfortable just the way things were, well funded, & able to move at their own pace, oh & they just burdened the industry with any expense such as AD's, obsolete flight systems, & anything else that might cut into their salaries. All of us in the industry said "yes sir FAA", because we couldn't afford to lose our license's, certs., etc. we did so without question. This created a shell where the FAA & those in the industry were shielded from the outside world, the FAA had complete control of what & who came into this shell & was allowed to stay. This was wrong, terribly wrong & were just beginning to find out how bad the aviation industry is in the U.S. I predict before the rules are in place for UAV's you'll see a complete overhaul of the FAA possibly desolution of the agency in favor of a more accountable group of agency's in order to prevent this dictatorship style of governing the FAA has been caught doing.

I'm an A/P have been in general & corporate aviation all my life, I thought Mrs. Beech was my grandmother until I was about 10 years old, because we were constantly flying up there to spend the weekend with them. Our local FSDO is right next door to us, so I KNOW the FAA. I'm not proud of what I said above, nor am I comfortable with it, as being one of those inside this FAA shell it's uncomfortable seeing UAV's buzzing around without a N# or CoA but that's a sign of the times. It's time to change guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: peteC and catware
After all the DJI delays, a LOST or STOLEN Inspire that never made it to me....my Inspire FINALLY arrived today....only to find out the goddam IOS app is well, NOT AVAILABLE. WTF SERIOUSLY?! Are you kidding? Final slap in the face for me. I called DJI in Cali and learned that they're "trying" to get the app back up for the ipad - the brand new ipad I purchased solely for the Inspire that took forever to arrive and now can't be used. Oh, and Tech support informed me that I should probably wait to fly it anyway because there have been propellers loosening and falling off - AND in another thread I read that the Inspire can't be launched from a boat or a moving object. WHAT?! It specifically say in one of their promo vids that the dynamic home point was "for situations like when you're on a boat" .
So now I am going out to grab a beer and decide if I am going to list the $3500 paperweight I have on my desk for sale.

Suggest you keep documenting all your issues and send directly to DJI via their website. Maybe DJI will credit us all for the pain.
Best regards,
Steve

http://install.diawi.com/dPHckc You seem to be having the same problem lots are having and because you asked so nicely this app downloaded for me this morning at 8:30 Central Time. All I had to do is click on the link and it put the app on my IPad Air 2. Good luck.

You cannot download it! This is their message.

"The application you are looking for is not available anymore: it has reached the maximum number of installations.
Contact your app developer for any question."

I just don't understand why folks just download the DJI Pilot app from these links & then iFunbox both on to their PC, then connect their iPad to their PC (make sure iTunes isn't running) & then install the Pilot app using iFunbox? It doesn't mess with anything they have or any functionality within the AppStore or iTunes then or after. It's about as easy as easy can get...

Wormwood

I agree I would rather do it the proper way within the AppStore but given the options, this is a minor inconvenience...

Reactions: diverreb
I just don't understand why folks just download the DJI Pilot app from these links & then iFunbox both on to their PC, then connect their iPad to their PC (make sure iTunes isn't running) & then install the Pilot app using iFunbox? It doesn't mess with anything they have or any functionality within the AppStore or iTunes then or after. It's about as easy as easy can get...

Wormwood

I agree I would rather do it the proper way within the AppStore but given the options, this is a minor inconvenience...
One reason is that the safari I have on my ipad air 2 will not download it and the second is why use ifunbox if you don't need it. All I had to do is click on the link and it added the app to my ipad without doing anything else.....now that is easy.

Stop complaining! It will be available! I downloaded the app yesterday off of one of the links here, drug it into my iTunes, synced my iPhone 5S, did 3 flights today, and I can't believe how amazing the Inspire is compared to the V+...

I am impressed with every aspect of it!!

Reactions: Mactab
I just "live chatted" with DJI support. His response to the ipad app returning was not that encouraging. He avoided an answer of "yes or no" and told me the app was available on the internet. Yikes! I was looking for something more positive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cruzamikayla