Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI Pilot crashing/slowing down/video lagging

Reaction score
OK, please don't shoot the messenger!......
I have now heard back officially from DJI and the problems with the Pilot app are known about and are being worked on.

Basically, DJI are working to optimise the code and put less of a loading on the tablet CPU whilst the app is running.
The Pilot app puts a huge strain on the processing muscle of every tablet out there - some fare better than others. The problems are being caused by thermal throttling of the processors cores after the app has been running for some time. This is why we virtually see zero problems on the first few minutes of flight etc and the issue is exacerbated when the ambient temp is high.

Some things to try to mitigate the problem (if your tablet/platform allows it)

1. Lower the apps frame rate in the tablets power management utility. (This will be on your tablet and NOT in the pilot app - some will allow it, some won't)
  2. Limit the CPU's speed to around 80% of max.
  3. Ensure all cores of the CPU are being utilised
  4. Turn off draw route in Pilot App
  5. Lower the bitrate in custom channel selection to minimum.
  6. Do not allow the tablet to become too hot (limit direct sunlight)
DJI are currently working on reducing the loading on the processor when the app is running and will continue to refine the code. This will (hopefully) produce better results for people come the next app release.

Like I said, I am not getting into the 'but my tablet never did it before' debate or 'why does my app only crash on a Thursday' etc as all of this is totally out of my control and I have no influence as to how DJI R&D will prioritise this.

I am purely the messenger. Give the above suggestions a try (if you can)
Peoples milage will vary.......

Thanks.

One related thing to know is that phone / tablet manufacturers are always quick to boast about their super fast CPUs... But in reality most of them can only sustain running at full speed and load for a few minutes, or even just seconds before slowing down to reduce heat generation.

A quick Google search will reveal quite a few tests showing the effect with hungry apps like games.

Envoyé de mon SM-G920F en utilisant Tapatalk

One related thing to know is that phone / tablet manufacturers are always quick to boast about their super fast CPUs... But in reality most of them can only sustain running at full speed and load for a few minutes, or even just seconds before slowing down to reduce heat generation.

A quick Google search will reveal quite a few tests showing the effect with hungry apps like games.

Yup, this is why throttling back on the max CPU speed on your tablet can help. It will limit the top end processor speed so keep the heat down but (hopefully) should still have enough muscle to run the app. (Especially if some of the other suggestions are utilised as well)
Will be interesting to see peoples experiences once a few flyers have had an opportunity to try out some/all of these.
I will fly half a dozen packs tomorrow if I can as I have experienced some issues on v1.2.0 Android myself.

OK, please don't shoot the messenger!......
I have now heard back officially from DJI and the problems with the Pilot app are known about and are being worked on.

Basically, DJI are working to optimise the code and put less of a loading on the tablet CPU whilst the app is running.
The Pilot app puts a huge strain on the processing muscle of every tablet out there - some fare better than others. The problems are being caused by thermal throttling of the processors cores after the app has been running for some time. This is why we virtually see zero problems on the first few minutes of flight etc and the issue is exacerbated when the ambient temp is high.

Some things to try to mitigate the problem (if your tablet/platform allows it)

1. Lower the apps frame rate in the tablets power management utility. (This will be on your tablet and NOT in the pilot app - some will allow it, some won't)
  2. Limit the CPU's speed to around 80% of max.
  3. Ensure all cores of the CPU are being utilised
  4. Turn off draw route in Pilot App
  5. Lower the bitrate in custom channel selection to minimum.
  6. Do not allow the tablet to become too hot (limit direct sunlight)
DJI are currently working on reducing the loading on the processor when the app is running and will continue to refine the code. This will (hopefully) produce better results for people come the next app release.

Like I said, I am not getting into the 'but my tablet never did it before' debate or 'why does my app only crash on a Thursday' etc as all of this is totally out of my control and I have no influence as to how DJI R&D will prioritise this.

I am purely the messenger. Give the above suggestions a try (if you can)
Peoples milage will vary.......

Thanks.
Thank you the advice.

Luckily living in the temperate climes of northern Scotland, heat is not my problem although I did suffer badly in last week heatwave of 26C.

There are various references to reducing the CPU load. Can this be done on the Apple devices under iOS?

No, Apple devices give you control over absolutely nothing as usual.

No, Apple devices give you control over absolutely nothing as usual.

I don't know but is there maybe an app that will give you access to some clock frequency adjustments and/or frame rates?
I don't know if there is as I haven't looked.

Glad I found this,
it basically confirms what I had been slowly finding out, At least I dont have to suspect the lightbridge of overheating anymore, (or maybe I do)
I had tried to find a cooler for the ipad but to no avail, maybe I will just glue some heatsinks on the back of it and put some fans on it :)

TE: running IOS leaves us with only a couple of options. The one that makes sense, to a degree, is to turn off the "draw route". But if you do this, and you have a fly-away, then you also loose the ability to track your missing craft. Correct?

Reactions: slim.slamma
Thanks Editor for this information.I get these crashes to much at the moment,and as you said it is always happening on my second or more battery or flying fast..So hope this will solved soon.

ive noticed that it does it worse when flying in an area where the whole image changes on the screen, IE yawing, if you fly without moving, and film a stationary image, the video compression seems to ease up on the ipad, however when moving camera angle etc, the whole lot goes ape.......

I can now only fly next to AC outlets if I want more than 3 mins of flight, and the I1 sits inside the car to cool down for a few mins between flights, I point the AC at the camera. I had the camera turn off in flight on one occasion

I can now only fly next to AC outlets if I want more than 3 mins of flight, and the I1 sits inside the car to cool down for a few mins between flights, I point the AC at the camera.
It's all climate change and global warming!!! No one ever mentions their location or ambient temperature when reporting overheating problems. +40C is normally the upper operating limit for most electronics.

Last edited:
It's all climate change and global warming!!! No one even mentions their location or ambient temperature when reporting overheating problems. +40C is normally the upper operating limit for most electronics.
I mentioned the temp in other threads on the subject. But I am currently fighting +45c - +50c at midday in the sun.
at those temps the question is more "what is the max operating temp for the pilot"

there is then the other problem that some IMU's need to be temp regulated, and large temp changes during flights send them squiffy.......... so going from a cold car to a hot desert isnt much fun for it.

The motors get scorching hot after a few flights also, and appreciate a good blast of AC

I dont blame global warming I blame HAARP :)

Reactions: mdomeny
Alternatively, just downgrade from v1.2 to v1.1.2 if you have your v1.1.2 .ipa on your computer (or can get it there from a backup / Time Machine copy).

Use iTools to install it.

It solved all my v1.2-introduced woes on my iPad Mini 2.

Rumor has it the next version (v2.0) will have this stuff fixed. TBD, but backing off v1.2 for now is your best recourse if doing all the above still produces "Disconnect" screens of death mid flight, random no-signals etc.

Yeah, this came with perfect timing. I tried shooting a skate video the other day and couldn't even believe how much lag there was in my video feed

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop