Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

DJI X4S Image Quality Question

Reaction score
I have flown my new I2 with the X4S, and have a question regarding image quality for photos...I have shot a few pictures, and with the image size set to 16X9, the file sizes are about 3.2MP. These images don't seem very clear, and I do not have a 100% understanding of picture MP values...X4S says max resolution on 20MP, photos seem not the clearest, and I do not see an image quality setting in the menu, only for video. I have the camera settings set on auto. Is the 20MP rating all smoke and mirrors?

Reactions: **Kyle**
Hope you are enjoying the Inspire 2! One thing to look at is if you are shooting the photos in JPG, RAW (DNG) or BOTH.

From a cameras perspective, when you ask it to give you RAW photos you are essentially asking for the sensor readout - or the same data the lens passes to the sensor. The sensor maps the image from the lens across all of its pixels and thats what you get with RAW photos (in the most simple terms). To look their best, they need to be processed (using something like Lightroom). Generally you will need to adjust the temp, exposure, contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc.

For a JPG, the camera gets a few more tasks. After seeing the image from the lens on its sensor its instructions are to improve the look of the image by adjusting the contrast, saturation, sharpness, etc. Its then told to compress all the info into a smaller size. So JPGs get much smaller file size and a more finished look while RAW files are much larger and have the more editing flexibility.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: **Kyle**
I do not own a x4 s but have understanding of DJI cameras in general. To yield the largest file size in jpg set 3x2 format. 16 x 9 is not far behind but the 3x2 should produce 20mp images. The x4s does not appear to have size selection such as s,m and large DSLRs so this may not be the issue. If it it does then set large in the app.

If it still doesn't show around 20mp it might be just simply because of two things. You are seeing the compressed size or you viewing the image downloaded onto an iPad where it reduces it size to increase download speeds.

You mentioned the image is not clear. To check this set the software you are using to view the images at 100% sometimes called 1-1 or full size. If it still blurred it might be the camera settings within the app. You will find that you should be able to set saturation, sharpness etc. Increase the sharpness to near max and see if it improves. If you could send me a pic I could possibly help more. I have notice that on windows 10 for example many very sharp picture appear very unsharp until they are viewed actual 100 % but then not always. The real check is to use adobe lightroom or photoshop or similar.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

I think your issue is that you're actually in the video mode, not the photo mode! That's why you're only getting images that are a few Mpix - the jpegs are being recorded at the video frame size. It would also explain why they're not always the clearest. Video mode allows you to take stills by pressing the photo shutter button on the remote even when you're actually recording video, but as I said above, they're only recorded at the video resolution, not full 20Mpix.

You've two ways of switching to stills mode from video... use the double circular arrow above the shutter button on the djigo app (it has a camera in stills mode, or a video camera in video mode) , or bring up the advanced camera settings, chose the gear cog and then pick/highlight photo... you can also then chose the stills resolution, jpeg, raw etc.

Hope that sorts you out!

Reactions: Ace423
That sounds like a good solution. Never considered the camera was not set to camera mode. In video mode providing it set to 4K many cameras are able to produce a large sharp images at 12mp. I have not played with the x4s so would not be aware if it is able to do this.

Sent from my iPad using InspirePilots

Thinking about it, just pressing the photo shutter button should switch to photo mode automatically (unless you're recording video already, In Which case it just takes a single jpeg image ) . You'd know if you're taking video because the big shutter button on djigo would be lit up red and you'd see the seconds counting up underneath it....

Sam, When you take a photo, what do you see on the djigo screen...? And what do you see underlined/highlighted when you go into advanced camera settings->gearwheel->video/photo settings... photo or video?

Reactions: samtheparrot
I have been having the same issue with my X4s. I've been getting much clearer stills when taking it while recording video. I've tried taking photos in raw format and seeing if that helps and I still get a blurry outcome.

My settings are at 16x9 as well. I have not yet tried to shoot in 3 x 2 but I will try that today and let you guys know what happened. I'll also import the picture to my photo editing software see if I can clear it up a bit but from what I see, right off the bat after previewing the picture on the playback Function inside the app, it is still blurry. I can usually play back in full resolution without downloading it first but this is not the case with stills.

Yes.... I'm have this same problem. I also shoot in 16x9 in Jpg and raw.... and compared to my p4p, the images appear to be blurry.... around the edges, in infinite focus.....the p4p has no blur around the edges

Just seen this thread. I posted elsewhere a query on final file size which has been answered (thanks guys!) but in trying to find an answer first I looked through the X4S manual which I downloaded off of the DJI site. In there it states that the X4S will not focus properly at infinity unless the camera is first calibrated. Can anyone tell me is this done automatically the first time you turn it all on and set it up, or does this indeed have to be done manually afterwards?

Thanks.

Samtheparrot,

There should not be a setting that will yield a 3.2 megapixel image. 16:9 yields about 16.8 megapixel. Where are you seeing your resolution listed as 3.2mp? Is it possible that you're actually just seeing a 3.2 MEGABYTE file size? A 16.8 megapixel JPEG could easily be 3.2mb...

My experience with X4S images has been very positive, to the point that I haven't even bothered to pick up an X5S yet. With correct settings, you should be able to get very good images. If you post an image/link, perhaps we can diagnose further.

What are some of the basic settings on x4s I don't like my pictures too soft (been using auto).

My pics are fine at -1 sharpness.... however I fine the video is soft , even at 000

So I have been messing around with the settings quite a bit along with photography research. What I've found that works for me is making sure your aperture is set correctly if your in manual mode(I was told manual mode is the best to shoot in with the X4s and its proven to be correct) the higher the aperture the more in focus the far objects will be and the lower it is, the closer objects will be more in focus.

I uasually shoot in 4.3. When ever I select 16.9 it usually seems more blurry with the bigger picture. But I'm not a professional quite yet so there is still a lot I'm figuring out.
My videos are always clear as day though and usually have sharpness turned up to +2

Reactions: ajobmusee
So I have been messing around with the settings quite a bit along with photography research. What I've found that works for me is making sure your aperture is set correctly if your in manual mode(I was told manual mode is the best to shoot in with the X4s and its proven to be correct) the higher the aperture the more in focus the far objects will be and the lower it is, the closer objects will be more in focus.

I uasually shoot in 4.3. When ever I select 16.9 it usually seems more blurry with the bigger picture. But I'm not a professional quite yet so there is still a lot I'm figuring out.
My videos are always clear as day though and usually have sharpness turned up to +2

Cool I'll give that a try

I have flown my new I2 with the X4S, and have a question regarding image quality for photos...I have shot a few pictures, and with the image size set to 16X9, the file sizes are about 3.2MP. These images don't seem very clear, and I do not have a 100% understanding of picture MP values...X4S says max resolution on 20MP, photos seem not the clearest, and I do not see an image quality setting in the menu, only for video. I have the camera settings set on auto. Is the 20MP rating all smoke and mirrors?

Did you ever resolve the issue? I am having the same problem. I have been taking photos in RAW and utilising the histogram to make sure the exposure is right. I've tried manually altering the ISO etc but my photos still do not look that clear even when I edit them in Photoshop.

Kind of..I set the image quality to landscape in the go app, and also sometimes use the custom setting, now my images are 7-8 MP in jpeg.

I have both cameras and they are great! You have to learn your equipment... take your time and shoot lots of pictures for practice as they don't really cost anything like film did. delete what you don't want to keep after each flight. Turn on your Histogram too. You will get much better pics when you learn how to use this.

Reactions: Advexure

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaricruzRa