Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Do I need LAANC authorization if the airport is closed?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've been using LAANC successfully around airports lately but I've run into a new issue. I'm trying to secure LAANC authorization around Santa Monica airport for a night flight (3 am) and I get this message: "The planned operation area falls outside of controlled airspace and LAANC is not available."

This location is definitely within the Class D airspace, but this only happens when I try and get authorization for flights when the airport is not operating, it closes from 11pm - 7am. If I apply for authorization for flights when the airport is operational, 7am - 11pm, they get approved.

My question is this, does controlled airspace go away when the airport is not open/running?

Thanks for your help!

Hi everyone,
I've been using LAANC successfully around airports lately but I've run into a new issue. I'm trying to secure LAANC authorization around Santa Monica airport for a night flight (3 am) and I get this message: "The planned operation area falls outside of controlled airspace and LAANC is not available."

This location is definitely within the Class D airspace, but this only happens when I try and get authorization for flights when the airport is not operating, it closes from 11pm - 7am. If I apply for authorization for flights when the airport is operational, 7am - 11pm, they get approved.

My question is this, does controlled airspace go away when the airport is not open/running?

Thanks for your help!
You can look up the operational hours of the airspace in question but generally the controlled airspace goes away when the airport is closed and you wouldn’t need to get LAANC authorization.

You can look up the operational hours of the airspace in question but generally the controlled airspace goes away when the airport is closed and you wouldn’t need to get LAANC authorization.
That's what I guessed as the "LAANC is not available" message is the same as if I was asking for LAANC in class G airspace, it's not required.

"Erroneous denial" is one of the reasons I started hacking my drones. Too many erroneous NFZ's in my state dipping into my paycheck to rely on the LAANC system. I was denied flight 9.6 miles from the nearest airport once. ONCE.

D

Reactions: Brett8883
"Erroneous denial" is one of the reasons I started hacking my drones. Too many erroneous NFZ's in my state dipping into my paycheck to rely on the LAANC system. I was denied flight 9.6 miles from the nearest airport once. ONCE.

D
Yep and even when you do it DJI’s way it only works half the time and only after pulling your hair out.

Reactions: Donnie Frank
SOLVED

I just received an email from the FAA stating that when the airport closes it turns into Class G airspace.
Happy flying!
YOU know this and *I* know this and the FAA knows this. The question is, "Do the Chinese know this???"....<:^0

D

I have complained for years, that professionals (aka us) should not be burdened with geo-fencing and DJI should eliminate it from our birds. We all know the regs and do not want to risk our FAA cert by abusing the airspace. Once we are able to provide documentation, DJI should pull the plug on the geo-fencing - just like they offer law enforcement on their equipment. It makes zero sense for them to have firmware that often does not sync with the FAA.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips