Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Domestic airline - how to travel with Inspire and batteries...?

Jaq

Reaction score
Next month, I will be traveling with my drone for work.
Not sure which airline yet, but what is the current status of checking/carrying on the drone and the batteries?
I've read a bunch of pages and threads, but am looking for the most recent applicable info.
Alternatively, we can UPS or FedEx it before out trip. I don't like this amount of separation, though...
I've attached a screen shot from the TSA search I just performed.
Advise away!

Attachments

• TSA.JPG
    TSA.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 27
Depends on the drone, the batteries and how many of them? If I were to assume your talking about an Inspire, you can put a TB-47 or TB-48 in the drone and check it as luggage. The remaining batteries need to be carried on board. Carrying 4 TB-47 really isn't an issue, carrying 10 may. Most of the gate agents are aware of lithium batteries, but I have yet to find an agent or flight attendant that is knowledgable of the actual regulation and/or the airlines specific policy regarding batteries, milliamp limitations and total capacity.

Depends on the drone, the batteries and how many of them? If I were to assume your talking about an Inspire, you can put a TB-47 or TB-48 in the drone and check it as luggage. The remaining batteries need to be carried on board. Carrying 4 TB-47 really isn't an issue, carrying 10 may. Most of the gate agents are aware of lithium batteries, but I have yet to find an agent or flight attendant that is knowledgable of the actual regulation and/or the airlines specific policy regarding batteries, milliamp limitations and total capacity.
We should not be putting a battery into the bird and checking it.
Even if that's allowed, they should be in carry on only.
I travel with my i1 quite a bit, have never had an issue, have always carried 8 batteries on board at storage charge inside lipo bags. Everytime, they check the batteries and bag for explosives at security and have always allowed me to board. I check the rest of my kit in the original case inside a pelican case.

Reactions: Jaq
Next month, I will be traveling with my drone for work.
Not sure which airline yet, but what is the current status of checking/carrying on the drone and the batteries?
I've read a bunch of pages and threads, but am looking for the most recent applicable info.
Alternatively, we can UPS or FedEx it before out trip. I don't like this amount of separation, though...
I've attached a screen shot from the TSA search I just performed.
Advise away!

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Does this answer your question?

We should not be putting a battery into the bird and checking it.
Even if that's allowed, they should be in carry on only.
I travel with my i1 quite a bit, have never had an issue, have always carried 8 batteries on board at storage charge inside lipo bags. Everytime, they check the batteries and bag for explosives at security and have always allowed me to board. I check the rest of my kit in the original case inside a pelican case.

I like the pelican case idea. The i1 case is a bit too large to carry-on, after speaking with a United rep. Thank you for the reply.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CandyGolds