Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Downunder - How many of us are there?

Hi all, just joined up and thought I’d better say hello to fello Aussies. Live in Canberra and doing my RePL in a couple of weeks.

Well thanks to CASA and their infinite wisdom in introducing the sub 2kg class, we have decided to join the mass exodus and leave the industry. Unfortunately the way the regs are at the moment, certified operators are at a distinct disadvantage. We have gone from 8 to 9 jobs a week to 2 per month and competing with sub 2kg operators who not only fly in No Fly Zones but doing jobs for as little as $50.
CASA will tell you that the advantages of being certified are:
1. you can fly bigger craft (with camera technology improving most lower budget jobs can be shot on a Phantom 4 Pro so no advantage).
2. you can get approvals for no fly zones. (Try and get one that is workable and cost effective for you client. The last one we applied for would have cost the client in the region of $3000 before the actual job by the time everything was in place to satisfy the approval. We hired a jet ranger for $700 which is less than the approval fee alone)

All the areas of the industry that we had good results from are gone. Real Estate (nearly impossible now). Inspections and insurance assessing (building inspectors and insurance assessors can do it themselves). Agriculture 3D mapping and crop data. (farmers can fly over their own property. Buy a Phantom and subscribe to Drone Deploy and jobs done.)

The only good thing to come out of this is that we will no longer have to deal with CASA.

Well thanks to CASA and their infinite wisdom in introducing the sub 2kg class, we have decided to join the mass exodus and leave the industry. Unfortunately the way the regs are at the moment, certified operators are at a distinct disadvantage. We have gone from 8 to 9 jobs a week to 2 per month and competing with sub 2kg operators who not only fly in No Fly Zones but doing jobs for as little as $50.
1. you can fly bigger craft (with camera technology improving most lower budget jobs can be shot on a Phantom 4 Pro so no advantage).
2. you can get approvals for no fly zones. (Try and get one that is workable and cost effective for you client. The last one we applied for would have cost the client in the region of $3000 before the actual job by the time everything was in place to satisfy the approval. We hired a jet ranger for $700 which is less than the approval fee alone)

All the areas of the industry that we had good results from are gone. Real Estate (nearly impossible now). Inspections and insurance assessing (building inspectors and insurance assessors can do it themselves). Agriculture 3D mapping and crop data. (farmers can fly over their own property. Buy a Phantom and subscribe to Drone Deploy and jobs done.)

The only good thing to come out of this is that we will no longer have to deal with CASA.
Yes DJB CASA can be VERY challenging to deal with. Not surprised to see you giving it up. We might go the same way later this year for basically same reasons.

To be fair, you can’t rely upon Regulation to protect your competitive advantage. All this change has highlighted is that your business didn’t actually have a competitive advantage to begin with - I’m not trying to be harsh, but it is what it is. You said yourself that all the work you used to do can now be done by a small drone and an unlicensed operator; your competitive advantage should be around the unique capability you provide - the cinematic quality of the camera and gimbal, the speed of the aircraft, the skills of the pilot and camera operator, post production expertise, quality of service and the customer experience etc. As you implied, small budget jobs like real estate and inspections don’t need - and have never needed - these extensive capabilities, so why use a shotgun to swat a fly? If your business model was only ever around “dude with a drone”, it was always going to be shortlived.

Don’t cry into your beer about CASA destroying your business model; get back on the front foot, understand your market, undstand your value proposition, adapt your business model to the new environment and get back out there and go do stuff that small drones and unlicensed operators can’t do!

A main battle tank is only good in certain situations - in others it’s vulnerable to light infantry that are smaller, more mobile and more agile. You need to understand the capabilities of your drone (and your business) that other platforms (and other businesses) can’t provide. Regulatory change isn’t the end of the world, it just forces you out of the complacency you’ve been enjoying all this time...

Reactions: A.U.S.
Fully understand what you are saying, but there is a point as to when it is no longer viable. Jobs where we were getting $300 for, clients are getting for $95. I don't know about you, but am not preapared to put $7500 of equipment in the air for $95. Clients prefer the quality of our work, but when they come to you and say "i can this this done for less than half, even though your product is superior, I can't justify the extra cost to my vendor" what do you do. If you break it down to a dollar per hour rate you get more pulling beers in a pub that what these guys are charging. Yes, they maybe gone in 1 to 18 months time, but the damage is done.

I am lucky in that I have other photography work to fall back on.

I wish you well with your business, but I am not the first to go this way and certainly won't be the last.

Don't look fr favours from the public or competitors, it't not there.
Been a photographer all my adult life, taking photos now in RAW,Nikon camera, guy next to me taking same photo indoors with Galaxy phone, he gets better depth of field and photo right there.( when we both look at our screens) I have to go back to computer and fix my photos for customer. Doesn't seem fair does it! but it is what it is. Same thing is happening in the air as you say undercutting B's with less bling in the footage but at the right price for most of the public Sh...T!

G'day fellow Aussies.
New member and RePL pilot w/Inspire Pro located near Maryborough Victoria, should any locals see this and wish to 'network/fly'.

I came to this from the Heli hobby, then mini quads and now combined amateur interests of flying and photography. Not a lot of actual flight hours to date, yet that is growing weekly. Still familiarizing myself with all the DJI GoApp adjustments/settings, and the 3x camera capabilities.

My focus/interest is in the Architecture/Industrial/Mapping/3D Modelling arenas should that make a difference, though i am open to ALL formats of Flying/Vid-Pohotography.

A.U.S.

Last edited:
G'day Alsy, is this a hobby for you, or do you work in the commercial arena?

Once i get mine repaired, we should/could catch up and plan a project.

What say you?

Anyone else regional like to 'network'?

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk