Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone recovery with i2. Advice?

Reaction score
I was contacted by someone who lost their Mavic 2 on a rocky bluff that is unreachable by foot. They can see it but just can't get to it so they asked if I can fly my i2 with some sort of retrieval system. Anyone have any ideas how to go about this? Long rope with some sort of hook on the end?

• Wow
Reactions: Phillip DeVore
I was contacted by someone who lost their Mavic 2 on a rocky bluff that is unreachable by foot. They can see it but just can't get to it so they asked if I can fly my i2 with some sort of retrieval system. Anyone have any ideas how to go about this? Long rope with some sort of hook on the end?
If you're in love with this person, go for it! Otherwise run, run as fast as you can ...:)

I think the only way I would attempt this kind of task would be with a release mechanism.
If your line/hook got stuck on an adjacent rock/log/tree you could release it and save your I2.
If no drop mechanism, I would try a line with a very low test strength.
Mavic 2 spec sheet shows 580 Grams/1.28 pounds.
I read that the test, or breaking strength is for wet line, since a wet line is said to be weaker.
So, a 2 pound test line dry would likely be able to hold 2.4-2.5 pounds.
I know from personal experience I can lift 7 pounds at 7200 feet msl with my I2
using standard props and a Gannet release mechanism.
You should have more than enough power to snap the line if it becomes stuck.
With the concept of Dynamic Rolloever in mind, I would recommend a straight up yank,
not a side load to break away if needed.

• Wow

While I understand everybody's trepidation, a Mavic 2 is a pretty small drone. And if this guy's your friend...well....friends help friends.

If you decide to take this on, I would use a neodymium magnet on a string. I salvage them from old hard drives. If memory serves, the older PATA/IDE hard drives have the larger, more-powerful magnets. Dollars to doughnuts you have an old one on its last leg laying around somewhere.

1610034261379.png

While the magnet in this photo isn't quite strong enough to fully lift my Mavic Pro, I DO have one at my house that I'm pretty sure is. This would be the best, easiest retrieval method IMHO. Since it's your buddy's drone, charge him with finding a strong magnet. Bonus points if it has a loop for a string.

Before attempting the rescue, I would simulate an equal payload in a controlled environment to make sure that your drone can handle it. This will also give you practice flying with a dynamic, swinging payload, which can be challenging for both pilot and drone. I speak from experience...<:^0

UPDATE: Utilizing the most powerful Hard Drive magnet I own, it seems the magnet DOES support the Mavic Pro. However, if the load becomes too dynamic, the magnet DOES let go of the drone. I honestly would want something stronger. There are plenty of stronger magnets available. However, they may not be free like this one was.

1610054265860.png

Good luck!

D

Attachments

• 1610033694114.png
    1610033694114.png
    6.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
There are retrieval systems for something like that BUT it’s a very risky thing to try. And you’re risking your Inspire 2 for a Mavic!!

Reactions: Mavikhan
You can buy those magnets in varying sizes (strengths) at Rockler.com, a woodworking store. I have several sizes, but have never rescued a drone with them. Make sure that however you mount your magnetic breakaway, it is directly under the c.g. of the Inspire 2.

You can buy those magnets in varying sizes (strengths) at Rockler.com, a woodworking store. I have several sizes, but have never rescued a drone with them. Make sure that however you mount your magnetic breakaway, it is directly under the c.g. of the Inspire 2.
What do you mean by "breakaway", Phil? Once the magnet successfully sticks to one of Mavic's motors, the Inspire will be actually anchored and totally dependent on its lifting power. Unless, of course, she'll be equipped with some sort of rope release mechanism (unlikely) ...

I just meant that the Inspire should be able to create more lift than the force of the magnet to hold. In the event of some kind of unexpected resistance from the Mavic (jammed in rocks or ??), you can still break the magnet away from the Mavic and retrieve the Inspire 2 (most important).

This is all great advice and thanks to everyone. I have to admit, when Dobmatt first suggested not doing it, I thought, "What's the big deal? Fly in, try to hook it, and if I fail at least it would be a good attempt". I wasn't concerned at all with my ability to fly around trying to snag it, especially with wide open space (no trees or bushes) but he did put doubt in my mind and upon further reflection I realized that yeah, if I hook it on something other than the drone or even if I hook the drone but it's stuck and can't be pulled free, I'm f'd and there's a very real risk of losing my Inspire. Not worth it one bit.

Good suggestions using a release mechanism but that now becomes more trouble than it's worth for a one-off rescue attempt.

I have both a Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro and I simulated a rescue in my back yard but the Mavic Pro simply doesn't have enough lifting power. And it was a pretty good challenge getting it unhooked even though I was only 10 feet away.

So thanks to all for saving me from a potentially disastrous and regrettable decision!

... thanks to all for saving me from a potentially disastrous and regrettable decision!
Crap ... A well made YT video of this catastrophic rescue failure will generate some money for you due to its virality! Chicken!!! LOL.

But seriously, I'm glad that you've come to your senses ...

• Haha
In a much more controlled and visible situation, I had a youngster... get his pride & joy Telo stuck in one my tall trees. Since he viewed me as the neighbor drone guy, his pleading face and eyes gave me reason to try. After trying various things "thrown" up to release it failed I thought I'd try my Mavic or Inspire. I was willing with a M1 or I1, but not worth the I2.

We tried a weight from a string to possibly knock or dislodge... failed, then tried a magnet... both methods became snagged in the upper branches giving me a butt pucker moment to free my own craft. After a few self inflicted near casualties... I aborted.

To do that from a higher Altitude, harder to visually observe wouldn't be an option I'd consider unless I could release the arresting line and safely retrieve my craft by climbing up in Altitude.

The magnet is a great suggestion, I used a strong circle magnet with a center hole I had in my tool chest... but just the string or magnet can easily get entangled more than you can imagine.

A Telo, I had a moment that I'd just donate my little Telo to the Lad... low cost.
An I2 hanging up next to a Mavic would be a sad sight to walk away from... I'd avoid it.

Story end... a bicycle pedal tied to a long twine rope tossed over the limbs... used to shake the limb freed the little Telo and I gave him a new set of props!

In a much more controlled and visible situation, I had a youngster... get his pride & joy Telo stuck in one my tall trees. Since he viewed me as the neighbor drone guy, his pleading face and eyes gave me reason to try. After trying various things "thrown" up to release it failed I thought I'd try my Mavic or Inspire. I was willing with a M1 or I1, but not worth the I2.

We tried a weight from a string to possibly knock or dislodge... failed, then tried a magnet... both methods became snagged in the upper branches giving me a butt pucker moment to free my own craft. After a few self inflicted near casualties... I aborted.

To do that from a higher Altitude, harder to visually observe wouldn't be an option I'd consider unless I could release the arresting line and safely retrieve my craft by climbing up in Altitude.

The magnet is a great suggestion, I used a strong circle magnet with a center hole I had in my tool chest... but just the string or magnet can easily get entangled more than you can imagine.

A Telo, I had a moment that I'd just donate my little Telo to the Lad... low cost.
An I2 hanging up next to a Mavic would be a sad sight to walk away from... I'd avoid it.

Story end... a bicycle pedal tied to a long twine rope tossed over the limbs... used to shake the limb freed the little Telo and I gave him a new set of props!
A truly uplifting and share worthy story, John ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wild2Game