Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drone vrs plane?

Was just about to post on this issue. CBC showed a graphic of the location based on the recorded flightpath Toronto-bound Porter flight nearly hits flying object, possibly a drone.

If it were a drone, certainly seems well outside the 9km restriction around airports, but well above the 90m (300') height limit. That said, what recreational drone would have this kind of range given the distance from the shore? It appears to be close to the US/Canada border in the middle of Lake Ontario about 20-25km from shore so if it were a recreational drone, then probably operated from a boat. Other thought is could it perhaps be drone operations from CFB Trenton (do we even have military drones... I thought we just relied on the US fleet)?

Logical thought is that perhaps it wasn't a drone, but media like to hype it up.

"Porter said the plane was over Lake Ontario near Pickering when the pilots noticed an object in the distance. As they approached the object, they realized it was very close to their flight path and decided to take appropriate evasive action,” said the statement from the airline."

Actual Cockpit voice recordings :) Hey Joe copilot, you see something out there? Yes I do Captain Pete, maybe we should adjust our course a little bit to see if that changes anything? No lets wait till we have to make an emergency evasive maneuver and injure some of our passengers and crew. Roger, Roger got the Vector Victor?

Last edited:
Reactions: james tulloch
"Porter said the plane was over Lake Ontario near Pickering when the pilots noticed an object in the distance. As they approached the object, they realized it was very close to their flight path and decided to take appropriate evasive action,” said the statement from the airline."

Actual Cockpit voice recordings :) Hey Joe copilot, you see something out there? Yes I do Captain Pete, maybe we should adjust our course a little bit to see if that changes anything? No lets wait till we have to make an emergency evasive maneuver and injure some of passengers and crew. Roger, Roger got the Vector Victor?
Surely you can't be serious? - Do we have clearance Clarence?

Reactions: SanCap
Was just about to post on this issue. CBC showed a graphic of the location based on the recorded flightpath Toronto-bound Porter flight nearly hits flying object, possibly a drone.

If it were a drone, certainly seems well outside the 9km restriction around airports, but well above the 90m (300') height limit. That said, what recreational drone would have this kind of range given the distance from the shore? It appears to be close to the US/Canada border in the middle of Lake Ontario about 20-25km from shore so if it were a recreational drone, then probably operated from a boat. Other thought is could it perhaps be drone operations from CFB Trenton (do we even have military drones... I thought we just relied on the US fleet)?

Logical thought is that perhaps it wasn't a drone, but media like to hype it up.
I heard that the pilot described the object as being ten feet across.

Hey maybe it was an advanced release of the Inspire 2!

Reactions: licensed pilot
2 thing I don't understand is (1) what drone can have 19.5+km range (14.5 km from shore +9000 feet in the air) and (2) was it gas powered? The round trip would have been 40km. The BS is oozing from this story.

2 thing I don't understand is (1) what drone can have 19.5+km range (14.5 km from shore +9000 feet in the air) and (2) was it gas powered? The round trip would have been 40km. The BS is oozing from this story.
Airforce fixed wing drones can do that easily. Some hobby fixed wing crates also reach incredible distances, flying waypoints far beyond control link.
Once aviation authorities have defined 'Drone Instrument Flying Rules', and lightweight certified transponders are available we will see commercial (fixed wing or hybrid rotor/wing drones that do these distances legally. At least that is what our CAA is preparing for.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207