Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Drones for kids

Reaction score
So my mini me (8yrs old) has hinted he wants a drone next month. Does anybody have any advice or experience with kids drones.
I see there are tons of kids drones but have no experience and have been told most of the really cheap kids drones are crap and hard to fly.
Any advice will be appreciated.

Reactions: rbycapri
Mini 1 or 2
Welcome to the forum.
Also If you don’t have one or ever had one you need to study up
big time. Lots of laws you have to go by not to mention all that
goes with having one. Check out YouTube.

Bougth my youngest this Sanrock U61W with camera. Think it is a good starter drone and not too expensive to keep in the air. Very basic camera, but enough to keep them entertained.

Last edited:
mini 2 costs about 600 bucks or less if 2nd hand.

i teach ppl fly drones for a living.

my humble suggest is
buy him and buy yourself two mini fpv drones like " xmax tinyhawk" or a "cetus pro" with stabilized flight, a benniger fpv kit.

its not gonna be cheap as 50$ should be about 600-700 bucks.
but as father you are going to spend lots of time with him learning together batteries, management, skills, crashes and laughs , aside positive vibes being together father-son.

there are fpv pilots that are 5 years old! so age is ok too.

these kind of drones are extremely durable no worries for a crash.

camera drones like dji are quite boring for a kid unless you want him sitting in front of a monitor learning how to post a photo or editing..

all the best !
EMAX TinyHawk III FPV Racing Drone RTF Bundle

A Tello with a Bluetooth controller like a GameSir is a good drone to learn to fly indoors. They've got an easily accessible API kit, can be a good way to learn to code a drone. They're tame, stabilized with downward vision, will hover in place if you let go of the sticks, makes it easy to learn to fly and move on to less tame FPV drones or better cameras depending on the kid's interested...

Reactions: CoreySnipes
I've a EMAX Tinyhawk RTF Micro Indoor racing drone which also operate my kids. This was my first "non toy" drone and my first FPV. The lightweight design also makes it easy to control, so you don’t have to worry about crashing. And with a control distance of 100 meters and a height of 50 meters.

Last edited:
I had so much fun with the little DJI Phantom 3 drone and actually shot several listings with it I then decided that I would get a Mavic Mini 2 pro to go with it. I completely agree that this is a "B" drone but it can do some pretty good work. There are complete details but the only drawback as I see it for 360 pano's is one must do the processing the RAW images in PTgui. It's really not that bad but be prepared that those will not be in drone/camera processing. I tried to do it in Lightroom and it did a weird thing on the Nadir. It was probably me but I had to get these up by the next morning so I didn't piddle.

I say get them on a flight simulator and then get an FPV type drone. Not a DJI FPV, a real racing drone. Once they have mastered that flying a camera drone will be cake and they can concentrate on learning the photgraphy part instead of both at once. Kids are super good with learning controls so now is the time to learn the fast moving, complicated manual drone.

So my mini me (8yrs old) has hinted he wants a drone next month. Does anybody have any advice or experience with kids drones.
I see there are tons of kids drones but have no experience and have been told most of the really cheap kids drones are crap and hard to fly.
Any advice will be appreciated.
DJI mini SE. cheapest DJI drone on the market.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo