Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Dumb question re: X5R and colour profiles

Reaction score
Hey there, I've been shooting with our X5R for a while now and I'm loving the image this thing can produce. There is only one question I have that has me stumped, and I am assuming it is something obvious I am missing... It doesn't seem to matter what colour profile I choose in the app, d-log, cinelike, whatever, the raw footage always comes out looking the same. Pretty contrasty and definitely not 'log'. The H.264 footage has always come in properly, but it seems the look is the look for the raw stuff. Is there a box I'm not checking somewhere in Cinelight? Maybe that's just how it works? I know with the blacks crushed to the level they are, grading will be a little trickier than anticipated so I'm hoping to figure this out.

Thanks

Hey so I've done some searching and found that colour profiles are not actually baked into the raw footage, although there is some debate around using d-cinelike as it tends to overexpose the image... This is definitely what I am finding with the cinelike profile, so I will probably just stick to using d-log or none. I do find the camera crushes the blacks a fair bit, so I'll keep playing around with the profiles to get a consistent image.

One question I do have stemming from this, is if you mess with the sharpness, saturation and contrast values in the advanced colour settings, does this have any effect on the raw footage?

Sorry for the unnecessary thread!

Assuming you are referring to the raw footage recorded on the SSD... The raw footage is, by definition, raw. No color profile, no sharpening, no color temperature, no nothing. Just what the camera saw. This gives you ultimate control over everything in post-production.

The color profiles, etc. affect what is recorded on the Micro SD card. This is highly compressed, and highly processed.

Reactions: RMartin and gruvpix

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido