Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Editing with x5s

Reaction score
Hi, I’ve just ordered an x5s after upgrading from the x5. I want to be able to capture and edit 4K movies, however I have been advised that I will need to purchase a high end workstation to cope with the 6fps. I have been quoted around £2000 for a pc with 32gb of ram, Gtx 1070 graphics card, 4tb hdd to be able to cope with the demand of 4K. Does anyone have any advice as to whether this is absolutely necessary? If so, does anyone suggest a decent pc that can cope/ Mac etc?

PC or Mac doesn't matter - just know that ProRes is not natively supported on Windows, so the only way you'll be able to view your footage in the browser will be with the H264 files (if you shoot in ProRes which is the main advantage of the X5S). You can edit ProRes fine on Premiere or whatever it is you'll be using to edit, and then encode in H264 and view from there, but previewing the files natively through Windows won't work if you plan on shooting in ProRes.
As for the specs, they sound reasonable. I would go with a smaller sized internal SSD, then keep all your footage storage external, since over time you'll run out of space on your internal drive anyways. I'd get a big 6 TB external desktop drive and then upgrade when you fill it up. The SSD will provide a noticeable improvement in general speed and usability of the computer so I would definitely recommend that.

Hi, I’ve just ordered an x5s after upgrading from the x5. I want to be able to capture and edit 4K movies, however I have been advised that I will need to purchase a high end workstation to cope with the 6fps. I have been quoted around £2000 for a pc with 32gb of ram, Gtx 1070 graphics card, 4tb hdd to be able to cope with the demand of 4K. Does anyone have any advice as to whether this is absolutely necessary? If so, does anyone suggest a decent pc that can cope/ Mac etc?
Moved to X5S section.

You do not need a best of a system to edit 4K ProRes footage, but you do need a powerful system.

I would recommend a Windows PC, because 1) I have always been a Windows guy, 2) Windows is just as good as Mac these days, and 3) you can get the equivalent hardware for much cheaper.

for video encoding, would I be correct in saying that the CPU is the biggest factor in how fast it process anything?

I know premier does GPU boost that benefits the most from NVidia cards, but a faster/more powerful CPU is the biggest factor?

honestly, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get a system with 8th gen i7 processor (i7-8800k for example which has 6(!!!) cores), motherboard, 32gb of ram, ssd for your operating system and most used programs, a few TB of normal harddrives for your main storage and your power supply and case for in and around 1000 euro.

throw in a graphics card of your choice and youll have a beast of a PC.

also, its worth noting that any PC from the last few years will be able to edit 4k video if you knock down the playback quality while your doing the editing to 1/8 or less in premier. however, the export of the finished file will take a lot longer with slower hardware.

The most important aspects, in no particular order:

1. A fast CPU with lots of threads. Minimum recommendation is 4 cores/8 threads; I have 6/12.
  2. An SSD. You can get a fast 1TB SSD for $300 these days; there is no excuse not to have one.
  3. Lots of RAM. 16GB minimum, 32GB recommended.
  4. A fast video card. Yes, this makes a huge difference in video editing. The 1080 Ti is the best, but expensive; you can get a non-Ti 1080 for about $500. Don't spend less than $300 on your video card

Last edited:
Agree with above.

A friend of mine was showing me some specs of the Hex core out and it does make a pretty big difference. I had just updated to a 1070 liq cool from a x280 and it made enough of a jump to notice. However there lines are pretty gray to me when you are selecting using premiers GPU selection of how much the cpu would be doing if you are off loading primary loading to the GPU. Cpu matters, but its not clear to me on the math of this..

I run premier on windows. So I would be curious on any potential ways like this one?

Media Player Codec Pack Plus for Microsoft Windows

2.. I was just shopping for a m.2 SSD and saw a 500 gb evo for 234. This might be a good primary drive.

Guy at work is a massive gamer that I bought his old system. The talk we had is there is a large amount of work for GPU's in the near future we should see some nice jumps come down the pipeline.

-Cody

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP