Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA 333 Exemption

Reaction score
Good Morning! I have been looking into getting a commercial license to operate my drones "for profit." I have read through many of the threads and have come to the conclusion that it is an exhausting task to file for the exemption. While doing my research I came across Gowdy Brothers Aerospace, LLC which is a company that specializes in getting FAA 333 exemptions for individuals. The cost is approximately $1500 and covers 23 different purposes, as well as, 13 different drone types including the entire DJI line. Now my questions is, has any one ever had any business dealings with Gowdy Brothers Aerospace, LLC? I would appreciate any comments or help. Thanks and fly safe.

Malbr10

It's not that exhausting...what's exhausting is getting a pilots license and the **** paper work you have to do every month and every time you want to fly.

If you need an exemption just pick a company that got theirs with a phantom or inspire and replace all their info with yours...it's not very difficult

I don't know what you're doing...but everytime I need to fly commercially, I have to get about 3-5 days notice so I can get all the permissions I need as well as inform my local fsdo and than every month have to send out all my flights

Not too mention registering the aircraft was a pain in the *** as well

Good Morning! I have been looking into getting a commercial license to operate my drones "for profit." I have read through many of the threads and have come to the conclusion that it is an exhausting task to file for the exemption. While doing my research I came across Gowdy Brothers Aerospace, LLC which is a company that specializes in getting FAA 333 exemptions for individuals. The cost is approximately $1500 and covers 23 different purposes, as well as, 13 different drone types including the entire DJI line. Now my questions is, has any one ever had any business dealings with Gowdy Brothers Aerospace, LLC? I would appreciate any comments or help. Thanks and fly safe.

Malbr10

I submitted my exemption with Gowdy Brothers earlier this month. I've still got about a 3 month wait. I'll say this. They offer a money back guarantee and they have written in to the exemption our pilots only have to complete ground school and pass the test. If our employees can skip the full pilots license then thats $1500 well spent as I've saved a TON of money in forgoing the full pilot license program.

I submitted my exemption with Gowdy Brothers earlier this month. I've still got about a 3 month wait. I'll say this. They offer a money back guarantee and they have written in to the exemption our pilots only have to complete ground school and pass the test. If our employees can skip the full pilots license then thats $1500 well spent as I've saved a TON of money in forgoing the full pilot license program.

As you say a full pilots license is not needed but a Sport or Recreational Pilots license is a requirement to fly under the 333 exemption. I think that the 1500 dollar fee is reasonable for what they do.

As you say a full pilots license is not needed but a Sport or Recreational Pilots license is a requirement to fly under the 333 exemption. I think that the 1500 dollar fee is reasonable for what they do.

Our exemption doesn't even require a sport or recreational license. I just says ground school.

Mine went in 7-23 and has not yet gone public either.

You can get the exemption without a pilot license........... but to operate a UAV for your business you will need a pilot with an airman certificate. First question on FAA faq...

Section 333 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

What are the main requirements needed for me to operate an unmanned aircraft or drone for my business?
A. You will need:

1. a Section 333 grant of exemption,
  2. a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA),
  3. an aircraft registered with the FAA, and
  4. a pilot with an FAA airman certificate

Yup...anybody can get a exemption But in order to use it you will need a licensed pilot to be present during your flight operations.

To my knowledge the faa has not budged on that aspect of it nor will they until newer regs are out. They are aircrafts aircrafts require pilots

Highly doubtful.

Anyone care to place a wager on it clearing the FAA? Here is the exact wording in the exemption.

"Given the sUAV safety features outlined below, (insert my company here) proposes that its operations under this Exemption request should not be required to hold a commercial or private pilot certification. Instead, Operators should be required to: have successfully completed, at a minimum, FAA private pilot ground instruction and passed the FAA Private Pilot written examination or FAA-recognized equivalents; have completed (insert my company here) training program for operation of the UAS."

Anyone care to place a wager on it clearing the FAA? Here is the exact wording in the exemption.

"Given the sUAV safety features outlined below, (insert my company here) proposes that its operations under this Exemption request should not be required to hold a commercial or private pilot certification. Instead, Operators should be required to: have successfully completed, at a minimum, FAA private pilot ground instruction and passed the FAA Private Pilot written examination or FAA-recognized equivalents; have completed (insert my company here) training program for operation of the UAS."

You may get the exemption, but you wont meet the main requirement to operate a drone for your business. Separate issues.. At least the way it is written today, you will need a pilot with a FAA airman certificate.

From the FAA:

What are the main requirements needed for me to operate an unmanned aircraft or drone for my business?
A. You will need:

Last edited:
Highly doubtful.

You may get the exemption, but you wont meet the main requirement to operate a drone for your business. Separate issues.. At least the way it is written today, you will need a pilot with a FAA airman certificate.

From the FAA:

A. You will need:

If they approve it as written then I'm going to operate as such.

You can get the exemption without a pilot license........... but to operate a UAV for your business you will need a pilot with an airman certificate. First question on FAA faq...

Section 333 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

A. You will need:

The FAA also made two other changes to the Section 333 exemption process last week:

• The agency now allows operations under these exemptions by people who hold a recreational or sport pilot certificate. Previously, Section 333 operators were required to have at least a private pilot certificate. The newly added certificates are easier to obtain, and therefore less costly, than a private pilot certificate.
  • A third class medical certificate is no longer required. Now, a Section 333 operator only needs a valid driver’s license to satisfy the medical requirement. This change is consistent with the agency’s approach for sport pilot certificate holders, who may fly light sport aircraft with a driver’s license and no FAA medical certificate.

FAA Summary Grants Speed UAS Exemptions

Reactions: B-Scene Films

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop