Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FAA tests British Anti-UAV Defence System (AUDS)

I hope it does more than jam the radio signal... Most drones can fly a set path. Jamming a signal wont stop a drone flying on a set route pre-programmed in. A couple of Florida rednecks with lawn chairs and a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 would do a better job than a jamming device.

Reactions: damoncooper
I hope it does more than jam the radio signal... Most drones can fly a set path. Jamming a signal wont stop a drone flying on a set route pre-programmed in. A couple of Florida rednecks with lawn chairs and a bottle of Wild Turkey 101 would do a better job than a jamming device.
A 'set path' is no good when the UAV has neither control signal or GPS.
The UAV can do nothing more than land (or hover until the battery depletes)

Reactions: Scotflieger
So this works until the first drone is manufactured that failsafe's to accelerometer control in absence of gps and signal control. Not necessarily a wise manufacturing move though, unless the gyro's and accelerometer are of such quality that they can accurately track current location, and their growing volume of uncertainty as time passes.

If it not only jams the RC<->Drone comm but also the GPS signal it may well freeze the drone in place, but the battery will eventually die and the drone is going to come down. I'm guessing that if the FAA approves this method they may push the drone makers to have the firmware react to loss of both RC<->Drone comm and GPS by slowly descending until its landed. I'm not actually sure what my i1 would do now if it lost all RF.

Brian

If it jams the GPS the craft would go into Atti mode. While hovering, the wind could send it many miles away (maybe even OVER the area they would like to protect) until the batteries die. I wonder if they thought of that. Unless they could take over the control signal completely they wouldn't be able to have the craft hover and stay on the same spot.
I guess........

They say the ray is making the drone unresponsive. I fear a unresponsive drone could actually be more dangerous than a controlled drone, maybe they can shoot it down once it's over a safe area.

Last edited:
A little off topic but.......has anyone considered that the latest firmware (which changed the 2.4ghz encryption) may have actually been implemented to comply and pander to the FAA so that taking control of the FHSS data stream is made easier for authorities?
Hmmmmm???????

IGNORANT ALERT!

So will the (U.S.) AUDS signal abruptly end at five miles out from its point of origin around airports? Have we learned how to send out light rays (visible and/or radio) that end at a predetermined distance?

A little off topic but.......has anyone considered that the latest firmware (which changed the 2.4ghz encryption) may have actually been implemented to comply and pander to the FAA so that taking control of the FHSS data stream is made easier for authorities?
Hmmmmm???????

I believe that's the change yes

Hmmmmm???????

Yeah, our governments love the back doors now don't they -- with or without KY...

Brian

IGNORANT ALERT!

So will the (U.S.) AUDS signal abruptly end at five miles out from its point of origin around airports? Have we learned how to send out light rays (visible and/or radio) that end at a predetermined distance?

I don't think the idea is to permanently broadcast the jamming signal, in fact the FCC has rules against that. What this system is intended to do as I understand it is to provide point defense for high value locations such as the White House or the Supper Bowl.

Brian

I don't think the idea is to permanently broadcast the jamming signal, in fact the FCC has rules against that. What this system is intended to do as I understand it is to provide point defense for high value locations such as the White House or the Supper Bowl.

Brian

That makes sense. Thanks!

China first supplier of Auto Anti UAV system with radar detection/RF detection, optical tracking system, neutralization systems and command center, which has been delivered into one of China prison.
For more details, please visit: www.uav-defender.com or send the email to us: [email protected]

Attachments

• Anti drone system.jpg
    Anti drone system.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0521.JPG
    IMG_0521.JPG
    91.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0523.JPG
    IMG_0523.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_0525.JPG
    IMG_0525.JPG