Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Failsafe RTH issue?

?? I don't know. Thats why I have failsafe.... I feel like you are skirting the issue. There are obviously ways to loose connection. Battery on radio dies, controller just blows up for no reason, maybe I get clocked in the head by YOUR inspire and now I can not control mine. I do not know the reason why it would happen but obviously it is possible and it is the reason fail-safes are there. For this reason, it coming in straight makes no sense. If it is so easy to control, why not just have it come straight in from 1KM away?? Because sometimes you can't....

?? I don't know. Thats why I have failsafe.... I feel like you are skirting the issue. There are obviously ways to loose connection. Battery on radio dies, controller just blows up for no reason, maybe I get clocked in the head by YOUR inspire and now I can not control mine. I do not know the reason why it would happen but obviously it is possible and it is the reason fail-safes are there. For this reason, it coming in straight makes no sense. If it is so easy to control, why not just have it come straight in from 1KM away?? Because sometimes you can't....

Im trying to understand the issue. The craft will raise to the set homepoint value, unless it's within 20m of homepoint.

From my understanding, the 2 issues are that:
- It should climb even if it is within 20m, it's not because you're close that there are no obstacles in between
- There are many reports of it not climbing as it should even when beyond 20m.

Last edited:
Reactions: Richard-Inspire
Ok. I guess I just prefer that not be the case then? Not trying to be argumentative here but in all honesty I personally do not like that system and would prefer a way to modify it. I do a lot of low flying when I film at different locations and, although I have never used RTH, if it had kicked in and for some reason I could not control my bird, it would have crashed into buildings, racks, vehicles, or worse. Granted, it is very unlikely that I would loose connection, it is physically possible and if it happened, I would be sad. :(

really?!

the issue is perfectly clear. We don't want the inspire to decide to fly straight back at us, without fair warning, in the event of a problem. Asking "Why would you have a connection problem so close?" is ridiculous.

If it's going to fly anywhere autonomously, it should elevate first. that's basic safety and common sense.

From my understanding, the 2 issues are that:
- It should climb even if it is within 20m, it's not because you're close that there are no obstacles in between
- There are many reports of it not climbing as it should even when beyond 20m.

If it didn't work the way it is then it would fight you if you where trying to control rth if incase of bad positioning when landing..Say it was off by a few feet and was going to land on an incline, this would be bad... Wouldn't you want the control to avoid a tip over?

Maybe they should reduce 20m to maybe 10m.

I have tested rth many times and it has always raised to the set altitude. I will try even harder to try to replicate it. Have you seen this kilrah?

Last edited:
Reactions: PGT
If it didn't work the way it is then it would fight you if you when trying to control rth if incase of bad positioning when landing..Say it was off by a few feet and was going to land on an incline, this would be bad... Wouldn't you want the control to avoid a tip over?

Why? Don't understand why you should only have one or the other. Need to have BOTH the climb AND control.

Have you seen this kilrah?

Not myself yet, I keep forgetting to test it when I fly then get reminded of it by another report.

Those reports may or may not be due to misunderstanding of how it's supposed to work though. For example it climbs on loss of control, but not on manual RTH... or only with an automatically set home point but not a manually set one, or whatever.

In the absence of detailed behavior description in the doc people assume it should first climb to the set height above start point whatever the reason for the RTH (beyond 20m) and even if it is or has been flying below the start altitude during that flight, but it seems not to be the case.

really?!

the issue is perfectly clear. We don't want the inspire to decide to fly straight back at us, without fair warning, in the event of a problem. Asking "Why would you have a connection problem so close?" is ridiculous.

If it's going to fly anywhere autonomously, it should elevate first. that's basic safety and common sense.

You fair warning would be to understand the procedure of RTH.

Those reports may or may not be due to misunderstanding of how it's supposed to work though. For example it climbs on loss of control, but not on manual RTH... or only with an automatically set home point but not a manually set one, or whatever.
Whoa, is this true? This changes a lot. If control is lost it WILL climb no matter what??

You fair warning would be to understand the procedure of RTH.

Please show me the bit in the manual about the 20m radius. Otherwise there's no need for such a smug response.

Besides which, there are plenty of people on here also complaining about the same behaviour.

Blade is a really good dude and really helpful. I am not 100 percent but what sounds smug may be partially due to a language translation.

Please show me the bit in the manual about the 20m radius. Otherwise there's no need for such a smug response.

Besides which, there are plenty of people on here also complaining about the same behaviour.

I didn't give the smug response you did. It was actually rude..

This was stated in the release notes posted on DJI's website:
release_notes.jpg

Blade is a really good dude and really helpful. I am not 100 percent but what sounds smug may be partially due to a language translation.

No it's called **** auto correct.. I do most of my post on my cell, since I'm at my day job currently:(
Thanks for the kind word as well:)

That's where something doesn't come right...

It should:
<20m: Just descend and land where it is
>20m: Climb to preset height above ground (if it is currently below) and come land on home point

But then why do we see several reports of the I1 coming straight back to home point at its current altitude that is lower than the preset one without climbing first?

Reactions: Mazz
That's where something doesn't come right...

It should:
<20m: Just descend and land where it is
>20m: Climb to preset height above ground (if it is currently below) and come land on home point

But then why do we see several reports of the I1 coming straight back to home point at its current altitude that is lower than the preset one without climbing first?

Good question.. I know I have tested RTH (many times) within 20m and she just auto lands. This is what confusing...?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk