Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Failsafe RTH issue?

That's where something doesn't come right...

It should:
<20m: Just descend and land where it is
>20m: Climb to preset height above ground (if it is currently below) and come land on home point

But then why do we see several reports of the I1 coming straight back to home point at its current altitude that is lower than the preset one without climbing first?

Mostly agree. Id like to see that option along with the option to just always have it climb to the height assigned no matter what. I just do not see how that could hurt (actually sounds like the best option to me but I guess it is my opinion).

I know blade is an invaluable resource to us. i'm not trying to be difficult, and apologies for my abruptness, but I am not alone in finding this weird.

Also, those release notes describe that the craft will auto-descend and land if within a 20m upon activating RTH, not that it will fly back to the home point at whatever altitude it currently is at (which is obviously dangerous).

So therefore all the behaviour being described (including by Blade) is not as intended?

I know blade is an invaluable resource to us. i'm not trying to be difficult, and apologies for my abruptness, but I am not alone in finding this weird.

Also, those release notes describe that the craft will auto-descend and land if within a 20m upon activating RTH, not that it will fly back to the home point at whatever altitude it currently is at (which is obviously dangerous).

So therefore all the behaviour being described (including by Blade) is not as intended?

Correct, this is why I was trying to fully understand the issue... something isn't right.

I'm sorry if my respone was smug in your opinion. Just trying to fully understand the issue at hand

I just do not see how that could hurt (actually sounds like the best option to me but I guess it is my opinion).
Unless you're flying indoors (that would be typically close to you...) and happen to have GPS reception. Ceiling doesn't sound good.

Unless you're flying indoors (that would be typically close to you...) and happen to have GPS reception. Ceiling doesn't sound good.
Nice, very good point. I film indoors actually for a concert venue locally. I have done quite a few events for them. GPS is always off on that one though and I only use the phantom for safety reasons.

I'm sorry if my respone was smug in your opinion. Just trying to fully understand the issue at hand

not a problem. this thread has got hot suddenly and I was too keen to reply quickly.

but if you were indoors you could set a RTH height of 2m.
No because the app doesn't let you set a height below 20m... which I don't understand either. :(
I flew in a large tent where I had GPS reception (it's just fabric) and setting RTH to 1-2m was the first thing I thought of doing and tried before taking off, but no.

it's close to being a perfect implementation, but obviously buggy from what a number of people have discovered, and also none of this addresses the people whose inspires have flown straight line from further than 20m. Need some proof of that I guess.

Ok, so blade, as you can see we have a lot of user suggestions for RTH. Bring them to your people :D.

not a problem. this thread has got hot suddenly and I was too keen to reply quickly.
Haha I wouldn't worry too much about it. I think it started with some grammar or autocorrect mistakes so we were all thinking offense.

Roger that.. if people have a video or if they can make one that shows the craft going straight to home within 20m or not raising to 20m, this would help.

Thank you.

No video (yet) but I promise you that it does not raise when you are in close proximity to it. Skimmed over a few cars in RTH in front of a house. Luckily I was able to control it enough to lift it just above the cars and land it in the street. I had missed the opportunity to cancel the RTH in the app and the bird flew horizontally straight towards the home point (where cars just happened to be in the way).

No video (yet) but I promise you that it does not raise when you are in close proximity to it. Skimmed over a few cars in RTH in front of a house. Luckily I was able to control it enough to lift it just above the cars and land it in the street. I had missed the opportunity to cancel the RTH in the app and the bird flew horizontally straight towards the home point (where cars just happened to be in the way).

Ok, can you please provide how far the craft was from you?

Within 20m or greater than 20m?

Last edited:
Reactions: Jre
Ok, can you please provide how far the craft was from you?

Within 20m or greater than 20m?

Within. Maybe 10-20 feet. I was trying to land and inadvertently ignored the RTH warning. Seemed to go into RTH very fast, so it definitely requires an immediate reaction or you may get all discombobulated if you wait "too" long (like 10-20 seconds?).

Within. Maybe 10-20 feet. I was trying to land and inadvertently ignored the RTH warning. Seemed to go into RTH very fast, so it definitely requires an immediate reaction or you may get all discombobulated if you wait "too" long (like 10-20 seconds?).

Any chance you might be able to provide video or at least logs to DJI to help document the case?

That'd be awesome

In my case, it was about 2000 feet away when I lost signal and failsafe RTH started. It went home at a very fast rate of speed and did not climb.

Blade is enjoying some time with his wife and you guys have beat him up pretty well. Remember that we are here to try to help and sometimes we do not have all the answers. Blade made the inquiry to DJI HQ and we received the following back:

"I guess they moved the A stick while aircraft is trying to climbing up. In the released firmware .16 and .17, it will interrupt the climbing up and continue to return to home. On the other hand, if the aircraft is 20m around the homepoint, it will land down straightly instead of go home."

Please do not touch the sticks until it has reached the specified height. This has been changed in the current beta firmware and will be a part of the next release.

I hope Blade feels the love now. This sounds like pretty good news.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry