Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Fell out of the sky.

Reaction score
Inspire 2 X7 standard RC's upgraded all firmware including batteries.

For a split second I saw a warning flag on screen and my eyes darted up to the drone to see it falling out of the sky tumbling until it hit the ground and essentially exploded.
walked up to it and it was powered on.
I pulled data off from the last flight and am uploading it here if anyone is able to analyze it further.
latest firmware on remotes, craft, and all batteries.
standard I2 remotes.
was flying on a set of batteries that haven't been regularly flown together, in fact they have been largely used for ronin gimbals.

I am already in touch with DJI and have sent them these logs as well, but I would love to have some unbiased eyes on them as well.
Thanks in advance!

-Ross

Log files linked: Log Files (google drive)

You sure those are the right log files? Just looked at it and it shows you landed the machine normally. Pics and video are also very useful to find a root cause- especially if there was some kind of mechanical failure.

Thanks for the replies!
You sure those are the right log files? Just looked at it and it shows you landed the machine normally. Pics and video are also very useful to find a root cause- especially if there was some kind of mechanical failure.
I do believe the flight logs are txt or dat files
I just assumed that the most recent date stamped log would be the crash since it was unable to fly after that.
Here are all the logs from that day included the video of it crashing.

OKay, looks like the accident flight was along a rural road near Moab Utah at 6:24pm and has a log index of 372. Based on the data at the end of the flight there was wild attitude fluctuations combined with fast spinning yaw. The video shows a portion of this as well. I'd say it was either a motor failure, motor mount failure or prop failure. And if so, the generally high altitude of that area would have increased the severity of the problem.

The log shows a significant negative altitude of the machine after it came to rest. Did you take off at a point higher than where it ended up?

If you have any pics of the wreckage before anyone touched it those could help further identify the cause. Like if it was a mount failure there are telltale signs.

OKay, looks like the accident flight was along a rural road near Moab Utah at 6:24pm and has a log index of 372. Based on the data at the end of the flight there was wild attitude fluctuations combined with fast spinning yaw. The video shows a portion of this as well. I'd say it was either a motor failure, motor mount failure or prop failure. And if so, the generally high altitude of that area would have increased the severity of the problem.

The log shows a significant negative altitude of the machine after it came to rest. Did you take off at a point higher than where it ended up?

If you have any pics of the wreckage before anyone touched it those could help further identify the cause. Like if it was a mount failure there are telltale signs.
these were the only two images i shot of the crash site
Take off and altitude of where it crashed would be roughly same altitude
can confirm all 4 props were properly attached as that's something I check before each flight.
thanks again for your help!

Attachments

• IMG_4930.jpeg
    IMG_4930.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 46
  • IMG_4931.jpeg
    IMG_4931.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 48
From your photo it doesn't look like a motor mount issue. Were the aft starboard propeller blades near by the wreckage? It kind of looks like it but hard to tell. If so, it wasn't a prop failure and then this gets a lot more interesting. Looking through several of your logs prior to the accident flight you had a variety of error messages but it's difficult to say if they were any kind of precursor to this event. When the drone started to fall it didn't go silent right? From the log it seems like at least some motors still had power until the very end. It doesn't seem like this was a power related issue but I guess it could have been.

Please keep us posted with what the DJI people tell you.

Reactions: rosshasadrone
If you set up a free account on Airdata you can sync your logs to them, and they will decode everything into a very readable format with timeline, map and playback capability.

Aside from forensics, it's a great platform generally. I have a paid account for general operations & maintenance Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV

Reactions: rosshasadrone
If you set up a free account on Airdata you can sync your logs to them, and they will decode everything into a very readable format with timeline, map and playback capability.

Aside from forensics, it's a great platform generally. I have a paid account for general operations & maintenance Drone Data Management and Flight Analysis | Airdata UAV
thanks for the tip! is it anything like "phantom help"? this link seemed to show us some good info. Phantomhelp.com

From your photo it doesn't look like a motor mount issue. Were the aft starboard propeller blades near by the wreckage? It kind of looks like it but hard to tell. If so, it wasn't a prop failure and then this gets a lot more interesting. Looking through several of your logs prior to the accident flight you had a variety of error messages but it's difficult to say if they were any kind of precursor to this event. When the drone started to fall it didn't go silent right? From the log it seems like at least some motors still had power until the very end. It doesn't seem like this was a power related issue but I guess it could have been.

Please keep us posted with what the DJI people tell you.
thanks for the help! I'll definitely update ya'll with what I hear, suppose we're just waiting for final say from @sar104 ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Melodee207