Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Field charging

On the custom charger I built i've found that my car (idling) can supply about 80-85 amps continuous power to the charger at about 13.8 volts. That is just shy of 1200 watts, and while my charger technically can pull 1500 watts I almost never need much more than 1200-1300 watts even when charging 6 batteries simultaneously all from a fully dead (less than 25% remaining) state.

Being able to charge off AC line voltage OR a car battery saves me from having to purchase a generator and carry it + fuel everywhere I go.
Right. The Prius can supply about that too. It's nice that the engine doesn't have to run all the time. But it IS on, drawing juice from the traction batteries.

Right. The Prius can supply about that too. It's nice that the engine doesn't have to run all the time. But it IS on, drawing juice from the traction batteries.

I always wondered what a Prius (or Tesla?) could actually supply -- and in the case of a Hybrid like a Prius, do you just hook up to your 12V battery posts, and then the gasoline engines kicks in automatically (if the car is in the "on" position) when the draw gets too high / powertrain batteries get too low? That's really interesting...

I always wondered what a Prius (or Tesla?) could actually supply -- and in the case of a Hybrid like a Prius, do you just hook up to your 12V battery posts, and then the gasoline engines kicks in automatically (if the car is in the "on" position) when the draw gets too high / powertrain batteries get too low? That's really interesting...
That's exactly how you do it. I've never had to draw more than 1,000 watts and I hear that that's all you should draw from it, though I can't confirm that.

I've realized that one of the biggest needs for aerial work no deal with, us a camp ground, wirh RV hook ups. So I can plug into 110AC. :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GRQLarae44