Final and detailed guide on X5 "lens calibration"

Can i confirm if you are using other lenses such as Olympus 12mm or 17mm in manual focus (for mapping) does calibration still need to take place if i have no intention of using auto focus ?

Thanks Very much for this. got an X5 yesterday spent 5hrs trying to get it to work only to find out it was a faulty unit. got a replacement today but didnt have time to calibrate or know how, thanks for writing this up, hopefully I'll have a succesful day tomorrow

Im having a terrible time getting it to focus. I have tried just about everything I can think of and it still doesn't want to calibrate correctly.
Mine is the same and just about to go back to DJI. I can get a beautiful focus manually, but I can not get the damned thing to calibrate. I follow the recommended procedure but as soon as I tap infinity MF, the image is out of focus. If I refocus manually and then check the hyperfocal length and near focus, it is perfect. I just can't get it to set on infinity.

My camera is not calibrating but I still get amazing images by calculating hyperfocal length for nearest to infinity and focusing at that distance before take off. the sharpness throughout the depth of field is awesome. I am tempted not to return it to dji and just persist with MF but my concern is if anything else goes wrong with the x5.

i tried this like 10 times and when i click in infinity its never in focus, and seems to be over shooting. Why is that? I followed all the steps.

Update: After i restarted the camera and remote, it seems that selecting "infinity" does focus on the 50meter to infinity now.

Last edited:

I am trying to solve a focussing issue with the 14-42 m.zuiko power zoom. I bought the lens for the inspection of very small items at a distance of approx 2 meter. Optical zoom plus digital zoom gives a decent 6x zoom. My only problem is that the photos are only really tack sharp once in ten times.
Reading the post above, I now doubt the usefulness of this lens for my purpose.
Will this lens not properly auto focus at 2 meter?
I don't think it is a calibration problem because I don't use the infinity preset.
I also read about macro rings that can be placed between the camera and the lens to shorten the focus distance. But from what I've read these focus only at a few centimeter from the lens.

Last edited:
What bird are you flying?
What kind of props are you using?

The I2 has rotor issues and currently some camera issues that would cause your problems.

I'm currently trying to find a way to attach carbon props to my I2 to eliminate jello and out of focus shots.

Well actually I was still doing research on the kitchen table no Props or motors armed yet. But I think I got fooled by the poor light performance of the lens. Indoors with little light, the photo can get blurry. I think this is due to the long shutter time and the creeping of the camera (is that normal?). So I THOUGHT a long shutter time wouldn't hurt an image, as the copter was still fixed on the table, but actually it did. Moving the Goapp settings to a fixed shutter (S) position and adding some light to the copter resolved my problem.
It is more reliable now. This is probably why the 45mm prime lenses with low light performance are more popular, different price though.

Thanks for the great post. Did you figure out hyperfocal distance for other f-stops besides 1.7?