Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FINALLY APPROVED ND-FILTERS !

Yesterday I received my filters. Went out flying for some testing. I know it is difficult to put on the filters but somehow I couldn't turn the ND8 filter all the way fully secured. I don't want to ruin the threads on the camera. It looked if I could turn the filter only halfway on the camera. At the end I switched to a standard DJI filter with no problems so the threads are okay. Any thoughts?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

All my filters screwed on ok with no problems, maybe you have a bad one. I would contact Renaat direct and let him know

Reactions: PB30X
Yesterday I received my filters. Went out flying for some testing. I know it is difficult to put on the filters but somehow I couldn't turn the ND8 filter all the way fully secured. I don't want to ruin the threads on the camera. It looked if I could turn the filter only halfway on the camera. At the end I switched to a standard DJI filter with no problems so the threads are okay. Any thoughts?

I think I know what you're referring to. The threads on the camera and filters are very fine, making them also delicate. It takes a bit of patience and a light touch to get them lined up correctly. If not, it will seem that they do not want to screw on properly--just back off, rotate the filter slightly and try again. Then once it is properly seated turn gently and do not over tighten--just finger snug.

P.S. When it comes to camera equipment (any equipment that is expensive), do not force anything! Strong-arming can lead to expensive repairs.

Last edited:
I think I know what you're referring to. The threads on the camera and filters are very fine, making them also delicate. It takes a bit of patience and a light touch to get them lined up correctly. If not, it will seem that they do not want to screw on properly--just back off, rotate the filter slightly and try again. Then once it is properly seated turn gently and do not over tighten--just finger snug.

P.S. When it comes to camera equipment (any equipment that is expensive), do not force anything! Strong-arming can lead to expensive repairs.

I have found the threads easily accumulate dirt/dust from landing and take off.

I have found a cotton bud(q-tip) soaked in pure alcohol and rubbed gently round the threads cleans them out.

Keep gently rubbing cotton buds(q-tip) round until it stops picking up dust etc.

HTH

Reactions: sirnikolas
Hi Renaat & Aileen, I just received your shipment of filters and they look awesome. And the ND64 too! Thunderstorms here in TX have prevented me from testing them but no doubt the clarity is exquisite. Thanks guys.

Just paid! So excited...all the comments and videos posted sound and look awesome.
Thank you Renaat and Aileen for what you have done for the i1 community!!

Hi Renaat and Aileen,
First of all thank you for unselfishly producing your filters and sharing them with us.
My filters arrived the end of the week and as is every one else , I am impressed and wish to extend my gratitude.I can't wait to get these babies in the air.
I wasn't able to get in any flying but did spend some time tonight doing some tests that may not be terribly technical but I felt that it was a good starting point for a discussion on Color temperature and exposure compensation. Below are some results that I would like to share with our members.
First off I dusted off my old Color Temperature meter and in a darkened room as to not get any extraneous color pollution , I top lit the color meter with one of my shooting lights . I did however notice that the color temperature readings fluctuated ( only about 30 to 40 Kelvin but different) so that explains why I did a reading immediately before I added each Neutral Density.
You will see that prior to the ND 8 and ND 16 test the Meter was reading 5180K
Prior to the ND 32 the meter read 5170K
Prior to the ND 64 the meter read 5160K
Again not a big difference but a difference never the less.
However I think what is important is the shift is read as a difference from each individual reading immediately prior to covering the meter with each ND filter.
Next , I did a similar test with an exposure meter.
I set the meter to 640 ASA and 1/60th exposure time. For no reason , other than with the light I had above the meter , that would give me enough latitude to allow for more stops variation without having to make changes along the way, most likely making me more confused.
Prior to adding each Filter the Light reading was T16.
The only concern I had was that the ND 64 should be ( and correct me if I am wrong)a 6 stop filter.
I read it several times , at different settings with both my light and my meter and in each case my readings were 7 stops. Starting at T16. and ending in T1.4.
16 - 11- 8 - 5.6 - 4 - 2.8 - 2 - 1.4. ( 7 stops) All full stops so that was my only cause to gather opinions.
I don't profess to be any sort of expert and am in no way trying to demean this product.
I am, as it seems most members also are a huge fan of what you have done and been able to achieve in such a short period.
I would hope that this little test contributes in some way and is seen as nothing more than a starting point for further discussions.
Best regards
Tony

ND Color TestA.jpg Exposure Change-A.jpg

you will get your tracking today: Please give me some time for food and rest before I mail the last 91 tracking numbers of the 2nd shipment (totally >300) by manual looking for email address and manual writing down the long 10 digit number. I confirm it is picked up as you can see on the photo. :)
Hi - How do I go about ordering a set of these nd filters?...Thanks Grant

Hi Tony P, Impressive work to say the least and more extreme than I would go through. I have not been able to take the filters for a spin yet either, however since you have gone through this testing I will keep the 1 stop difference on the ND 64 in mind when shooting footage. The difference in the color temps in my view is not enough of a concern and easily corrected in post or better yet in camera settings. In a visual look I noticed a difference looking at DJI's ND 4 (I believe it's supposed to be) and the ND 8 having a apparent tint. I'd like to know the Kelvin temp of DJI's filter. I don't have a color temp hand meter and appreciate you sharing this info. Hey, great you had it even dusty! The more info we all get the better off we'll be in the long run. Thanks.
Richard

Hi Renaat and Aileen,
First of all thank you for unselfishly producing your filters and sharing them with us.
My filters arrived the end of the week and as is every one else , I am impressed and wish to extend my gratitude.I can't wait to get these babies in the air.
I wasn't able to get in any flying but did spend some time tonight doing some tests that may not be terribly technical but I felt that it was a good starting point for a discussion on Color temperature and exposure compensation. Below are some results that I would like to share with our members.
First off I dusted off my old Color Temperature meter and in a darkened room as to not get any extraneous color pollution , I top lit the color meter with one of my shooting lights . I did however notice that the color temperature readings fluctuated ( only about 30 to 40 Kelvin but different) so that explains why I did a reading immediately before I added each Neutral Density.
You will see that prior to the ND 8 and ND 16 test the Meter was reading 5180K
Prior to the ND 32 the meter read 5170K
Prior to the ND 64 the meter read 5160K
Again not a big difference but a difference never the less.
However I think what is important is the shift is read as a difference from each individual reading immediately prior to covering the meter with each ND filter.
Next , I did a similar test with an exposure meter.
I set the meter to 640 ASA and 1/60th exposure time. For no reason , other than with the light I had above the meter , that would give me enough latitude to allow for more stops variation without having to make changes along the way, most likely making me more confused.
Prior to adding each Filter the Light reading was T16.
The only concern I had was that the ND 64 should be ( and correct me if I am wrong)a 6 stop filter.
I read it several times , at different settings with both my light and my meter and in each case my readings were 7 stops. Starting at T16. and ending in T1.4.
16 - 11- 8 - 5.6 - 4 - 2.8 - 2 - 1.4. ( 7 stops) All full stops so that was my only cause to gather opinions.
I don't profess to be any sort of expert and am in no way trying to demean this product.
I am, as it seems most members also are a huge fan of what you have done and been able to achieve in such a short period.
I would hope that this little test contributes in some way and is seen as nothing more than a starting point for further discussions.
Best regards
Tony

View attachment 1966 View attachment 1967
Much thanks for your analysis. Knowing your results we keep them in mind while using them. At the moment we use the most N16 and 32 as we enter in the sun period at Qingdao.
By the way we will not be at home from Mai 27 - Mai 31
Again much appreciated your work.
Renaat

Hi Richard
I would love to have compared the DJI ND filter but alas, the breaking of my original was the start of the search that lead me to Renaat and Aileen.
I can get hold of one through a friend next week and will do the same test on an original.
I will post that result hopefully next week. June 1st-ish.
Tony

Wow.... What a service from Renaat!! I had problems with my ND8 filter not fitting on the camera, the other 2 filters turned on fine. I sent some photo's of the problem.
Today I get a mail with a DHL tracking number with a new filter.... Amazing.....

Thank you so much for this great service!!!!!!

I find that to keep turning them in the 'unscrew ' direction until you feel a slight click, then gently turn to screw in the tighten direction , seems to work best as it's easy to get it cross screwed.

I find that to keep turning them in the 'unscrew ' direction until you feel a slight click, then gently turn to screw in the tighten direction , seems to work best as it's easy to get it cross screwed.
I know but with this filter was definitely a problem! All others went fine and without a problem.

Excellent filters, thank you Renaat and Aileen! And for those on here who have brought, tested and posted their findings to help the rest of us. Here's my small video, hope it helps.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SUPER-WEB-DEVELOPMENT-LLP