Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying around a power plant

Reaction score
Besides legal issues, if one had permission to fly around a natural gas operated power plant what concerns would there be regarding electrical interference, gps issues etc.

Maybe I should give a little clearer info. I have been asked to help document a large turbine replacement at a local FPL power plant. I am not going to be flying nilly willy around the power plant. They made need some inside platform shots and some low flying shots above the entrance of the main building plus maybe a 300 foot or so aerial of the complex. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

We did do our videos in the power plant today. It went well. There was no way I was going to fly in the property. I became a production assistant :) These power plants are amazing! After the shoot I did fly and got some video from the church parking lot across the street. Here is a frame from the 4K video I took. 6 Turbines and 2 Peakers.

3545132_orig.jpg

Flying near nuclear power plants is a big no-no. It's probably restricted airspace, at least I believe the Sydney plant is. Very nice shot you have there though :)

Reactions: Kilrah and SanCap
Flying near nuclear power plants is a big no-no. It's probably restricted airspace, at least I believe the Sydney plant is. Very nice shot you have there though :)

As of now this natural gas power plant is not in a NFZ. They do have extremely tight security inside.

Hmmm....didn't know the Inspire was ATEX Certified.... :rolleyes:;)

Was there not Zone2/Zone22 ATEX/IEC classification around the plant?

Nothing noted on any thing I have found. Even after searching Zone2/Zone22 ATEX/IEC, I still do not know what it is??

EDIT, It looks like Zone2/Zone22 ATEX/IEC is for the EU, I am in the USA.

Nothing noted on any thing I have found. Even after searching Zone2/Zone22 ATEX/IEC, I still do not know what it is??

I've noticed that with most of his posts, I never understand most of it. And Google sometimes will give answers, not always though

I think they call them Class 1 divisions or UL1203 over your side of the pond :p
Its all to do with explosive atmospheres around power plants/oil rigs etc.
We have to have ATEX certified UAV's to work in those environments :)

I think they call them Class 1 divisions or UL1203 over your side of the pond :p
Its all to do with explosive atmospheres around power plants/oil rigs etc.
We have to have ATEX certified UAV's to work in those environments :)

Is there some sort of range or distance that would be required. I would think that would be fairly well publicized here in the states.

WOW! I have seen the rough cut of the video and my some of my footage will be in the opening scene for a GE promo video.
Which plant are you at? I'm guessing the Ge 7f engines? I'm actually working for GE gas turbines in South Carolina right now, I live in Jupiter Florida though!

Which plant are you at? I'm guessing the Ge 7f engines? I'm actually working for GE gas turbines in South Carolina right now, I live in Jupiter Florida though!

This shoot was at a South West Florida plant. I do not work for the plant. I will share the video when I am allowed to. I am not sure of the turbine being used but this is what a small portion of it looks like.

T5s.jpg T5s.jpg

Please share the video when u can! Very interested to see the finished product. Was it an internal production or did they contract it out to a production company? Love the stills!! :). Thanks!

Reactions: SanCap
Please share the video when u can! Very interested to see the finished product. Was it an internal production or did they contract it out to a production company? Love the stills!! :). Thanks!

GE was was repairing a turbine and hired an outside production company (from Atlanta) who hired several contractors (from South West Florida) to assist with the production. This was to showcase a new product. I will share when I can.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry