Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying in Greenland... any advice?

Reaction score
Website
www.lancekoudele.com
I'll be taking off to Greenland to shoot stills for a heliski company there in 2 weeks. I'm guessing that GPS satellites may not be much help up there. We will be located just above the Arctic Circle.

Looking for any thoughts on how I should prepare for this. I am new to the Inspire 1.

Thanks!

I'll be taking off to Greenland to shoot stills for a heliski company there in 2 weeks. I'm guessing that GPS satellites may not be much help up there. We will be located just above the Arctic Circle.

Looking for any thoughts on how I should prepare for this. I am new to the Inspire 1.

Thanks!
Pretty ballsy. .I love it!!!!!
Make sure you read your manuel to make sure the inspire is designed to work there under the conditions you plan on flying it in..
also sounds like a serious gig so I would recommend having more than one inspire or other drones for back up..any serious perfessional would..
Make sure and practicing as much as possible to get to know your equipment before arriving in the field..
seems like a tall order but go for it and make us proud !!!
Turbo. .

Thanks!
Make sure you pre heat your batteries before each flight. DJI do a battery heater that's perfect for the job. Insulate the batteries in the Inspire with the neoprene protectors to keep the heat in.
Expect up to 50% less flight time from your lipos - In reality it may not be THAT bad but be prepared for sudden voltage drop off. Your packs will not give up their charge so easily in extremely cold environments so try to avoid heavy current draw as much as possible (like fast climb outs).

I do not think GPS will be a real issue if I'm honest but what probably will give you problems is the compass :eek:. It may not even calibrate that far North.

I hope I am wrong and you come back with some amazing shots but please, please be mindful of my comments above and be vigilant at all times whilst airborne for ANY abnormal behavior from your Inspire.

Good Luck...

The weather in two weeks there shouldn't be that bad, temperature wise. It won't be "extreme' cold conditions.
Also, GPS will work up there so no worries except you might not have as many satellites.
Be on the look out for snow squalls, blizzards, wind etc. Maybe, if it's warm enough, rain, but it might be too early for that.

I just heard from the heli pilots that they are connected to 6 or 7 satellites.

regarding preheating the batteries wouldn't just keeping them next to your body be enough? I do this with my camera batteries in cold temps and it seems to work fine.

also wondering if taping a hand warmer around the battery would be helpful. something like this . although probably not a good idea- wondering if anyone has done that though...

just go to walgreen and pick up those pocket hand warmer packets. slide them next to the batteries an hr before flight. you can even tape them onto the battery. $2 solution for battery heating.

How do i know? I ride motorcycles year round, i stuff those packets in my gloves and socks, they work like a champ.

Thanks!
Hi,

May I ask you how your experience was and where in Greenland you have been ?

I know the GPS is working quite well but the compass inclination is high which makes the compass more sluggish the further north you go in Northwest Greenland. We will be there this summer again. I am thinking about buying a Phantom 4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LewisuhaAbips