Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Flying the Inspire with one transmitter

Reaction score
Hello Friends,
I am shopping for the Inspire 1 and have a question regarding one or two transmitters.
I understand that two transmitters can be used for optimal cinematography. How many of you are using single transmitters and how many are using two? I previously used a Phantom 1 for our aerial photography business and can't wait to get the Ferrari of drones ;)

Thank You and I would appreciate your feedback on this,

James Rule
Lumberton, TX
www.rulethesky.net

I bought two transmitters, but I've only flown with one having yet to find a compatible camping / travel companion for this sort of work. The very real issue, IMO, is dividing my attention between flying the aircraft and getting the shot. Of course, I want to do both, but in tight flying situations, it's not very feasible without a LOT of practice and experience and planning.

My last flight, I was going to cruise down a stream bed to film to running water, rocks, etc., and began lowering the craft into the embankment. Suddenly, a HUGE mass of leaves appeared in the FPV feed, having flown the Inspire within a few feet of a tree. No disaster, but THAT close.

IMO, buying only one transmitter is a serious handicap. A *pilot* flies the aircraft, and a *photographer* gets the shot with the second transmitter, the photographer giving real-time flight path requests and suggestions to the pilot (via voice) to adjust the available shots. The pilot's ONLY concern is the safety of the craft.

My basic single-transmitter techique so far (I'm a complete novice, BTW) is quite cumbersome: I pilot the craft into a safe situation, evaluate the flight hazards, plan a route, then put on my "photographer's hat" and take the shot. Repeat for the rest of the battery life. As I said, pretty cumbersome, and subject to pilot-me distraction while the photographer-me has the controls.

Of course, if you're flying where there are no flight hazards, then a single transmitter might work. Even then, with my very limited experience, getting smooth shots while both controlling the gimbal and the flight path is pretty tough.

IMO, having a compatible photographer running the second remote is clearly the best way to go. The term "compatible" being fairly instrumental.

mTp

Last edited:
I use only one transmitter. It hasn't hampered my flying and/or photography. Just make sure you do your flight checks before hand. If you are planning to video or take pictures just map out your shots before you fly.
If you have someone to be with you every time you fly, buy two. If not buy one.... and save the money for other goodies....

Reactions: jamesRuletheskY.net
Thank You... I aced the Phantom 1 over the last 2 Years without FPV. I think it is absolutely amazing with the light bridge technology and stability of the new DJI quads...

Thank You... I aced the Phantom 1 over the last 2 Years without FPV.

That's funny....

I also have 2 rc but it's difficult because as a cinemtographer it's hard to find people that can get the shots I want them to get. The other edge of the sword though, when flying in a challenging environment where you should be concentrating on flying, having a second op is very helpful but if they can't get the shot where does it leave you?

DJI really gimmicked the dual op feature imo, the way they marketed the whole thing, "hey just pass your radio off to your friend" yeah most of my friends just look at me like "what the **** am I supposed to do here" most of them actually ask that....it's just a really funny experience. Overall dual op is very communication orientated and the camera op is lead on that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed.... I am working with a professional videographer on the second controller, but am frustrated at the learning curve I am forced to wait for him to progress on. I really wish I could find another excellent operator (flyer) and switch off as I know the shots I want to get and if I had someone I could trust to fly I would kill it on the camera...I guess I'm fortunate though to have someone to work with at all..

That's where some of the promised autopilot / POI / ground station functionality COULD be made to assist the pilot in getting the shots. I love my wife, but she isn't the best camera operator. I know the shots I want to get and I agree - if I could pass off the piloting of the craft temporarily to an autopilot and take full dual-stick control of the gimbal that would a very nice feature.

Having said that - two controllers gets her involved in the hobby - worth the price right there :)

Agreed.... I am working with a professional videographer on the second controller, but am frustrated at the learning curve I am forced to wait for him to progress on. I really wish I could find another excellent operator (flyer) and switch off as I know the shots I want to get and if I had someone I could trust to fly I would kill it on the camera...I guess I'm fortunate though to have someone to work with at all..

Must not be very professional than. The cinematographers and photographers I've worked with are very quick to catch on to these things, it's my friends that aren't very quick, ya know regular people.

This is how I feel about it:

Unless your buddy is a pilot as well I would suggest to keep the camera task as simple and straight forward as possible (up/down - exposure settings, record start/stop), , but even then, you need a well talked through flight plan, considering all conditions.

It should be ideal to be able to team up with another experienced Inspire1 pilot (or at least someone who's filmed a lot with a Phantom) when you have a job that specifically requires a separate camera controller. I saves a lot in explaining stuff, since he is able to anticipate on the chosen flight plan/path, wind condition and possible behaviour of the craft.

The few times I flew with a camera controller it was difficult, because my buddy, although experienced filmer, wasn't able to regain his orientation relative to the flight direction after rotating the gimbal.
He got the landing gear in panning shots, because he didn't know that/how the quad would bank into the wind in GPS mode (couldn't use Atti because of changing wind and little room between houses and trees). Next time although a bit more educated, same thing happened. So I 'ordered' (being PIC) him to use only the vertical movement and have me pointing the nose.

That worked a LOT better. This way I was able to at least have control over the basic framing (a lot less frustration for me). My camera buddy only had to concentrate on the (manual) exposure settings and keeping the target vertically in the frame, freeing me up to concentrate on the nose position (glancing at the screen) automatically camera friendly flying, keeping LOS (RPAS flying rules). This time the shots we got were the shots I expected to get, no surprises. And because he didn't have to concentrate on the camera direction, he also had the chance to keep an eye on things as well, warning me of subjects in close proximity, people coming too close etc.

(edited for typos)

I've been flying the P2 for more than a year. This thread interested me since I do everything myself (no friend to help). I know the Inspire has advantages over the P3, but if shooting solo with the I1 is difficult, wouldn't the P3 be a better solution?

I'm not trying to turn this into a P3 vs. I1 discussion, I'm just trying to understand why the P3 with one controller wouldn't be preferred if you are doing everything yourself.

Thanks,

I've been flying the P2 for more than a year. This thread interested me since I do everything myself (no friend to help). I know the Inspire has advantages over the P3, but if shooting solo with the I1 is difficult, wouldn't the P3 be a better solution?

I'm not trying to turn this into a P3 vs. I1 discussion, I'm just trying to understand why the P3 with one controller wouldn't be preferred if you are doing everything yourself.

Thanks,
In one word...power

In one word...power
+++

10 m/s wind today at the lake and very nasty gusts. Even the kite surfers we were filming were chickened, so they told us, some even quit. The Inspire1 was very stable, even though I had to keep the pitch stick at 75% to hold it in place, even during GPS hovering. Keeping the nose in the wind it was very doable though and my confidence grew every minute.

Incredible machine.

I did put my, above mentioned, theory to the test, and flew together with another Inspire pilot/buddy. We were cameraman for each other and that worked very well. Both of us were physically (pilot) or mentally (camera) flying the craft. We had 2 extra pair of trained eyes as well this way.

Hello Friends,
I am shopping for the Inspire 1 and have a question regarding one or two transmitters.
I understand that two transmitters can be used for optimal cinematography. How many of you are using single transmitters and how many are using two? I previously used a Phantom 1 for our aerial photography business and can't wait to get the Ferrari of drones ;)

James Rule
Lumberton, TX
www.rulethesky.net
...James.. DON'T DO IT... buy something that has SPARE PARTS AVAILABLE...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

(BTW, Argyle, Tx)

Hello Friends,

James Rule
Lumberton, TX
www.rulethesky.net
Get two. The video is so much better.

Reactions: jamesRuletheskY.net
Has anyone tried giving the pad to another when you have to concentrate on flying in a tight spot? They can move the camera with a stylus and just tell you when to snap the picture or video. And if you explain the APP to them they can also give you info... battery levels, warnings. That could take away the need of a second controller. I have tried this on a bench, (not while flying) and you have control of pitch and yaw. And the other person doesn't have to know how to use the sticks. (just thinking out loud)

Has anyone tried giving the pad to another when you have to concentrate on flying in a tight spot? They can move the camera with a stylus and just tell you when to snap the picture or video. And if you explain the APP to them they can also give you info... battery levels, warnings. That could take away the need of a second controller. I have tried this on a bench, (not while flying) and you have control of pitch and yaw. And the other person doesn't have to know how to use the sticks. (just thinking out loud)

That's a very interesting idea. But, rather than handing off the tablet, how about a USB hub to distribute the remote's USB i/o to multiple tablets? Since USB is designed to handle multiple devices, and the app can't really know that you don't have three hands ( :) ), I'd think it'd work. Have a nice, long USB cable for the camera operator's tablet. Worth a try, I'd think!

mTp

Reactions: STClassic01
That's a very interesting idea. But, rather than handing off the tablet, how about a USB hub to distribute the remote's USB i/o to multiple tablets? Since USB is designed to handle multiple devices, and the app can't really know that you don't have three hands ( :) ), I'd think it'd work. Have a nice, long USB cable for the camera operator's tablet. Worth a try, I'd think!

mTp
I was thinking of using the micro usb port on the controller to hook up a second tablet. But I don't think you will have control of the camera , another person could possibly see what the camera is seeing. I have not tried this yet though.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry