Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FPV Camera app

I have seen great footage from these apps, but how do they work with the DJI Go app? Are they used INSTEAD of DJI GO. If so, what happens to all the battery monitoring, logging, gear up/down and return to home facilities? Any risk of conflict between apps. Effect on Warrantee, etc

Looks like you are new to this.
The apps work fine with all the battery info etc on screen as though it was the DJI app.
With these apps, you don't need to use the DJI app at all. RTH is right there too!
You raise and lower the landing gear manually from the controller, like you should be doing anyway. NEVER use the auto takeoff or landing feature EVER!
If something goes wrong during takeoff in auto mode, it can crash right down to earth crushing the camera.
A good op will always do take off and landing manually as it is good flying practice.
We need to control when the bird lands, not DJI.

Looks like you are new to this.
The apps work fine with all the battery info etc on screen as though it was the DJI app.
With these apps, you don't need to use the DJI app at all. RTH is right there too!
You raise and lower the landing gear manually from the controller, like you should be doing anyway. NEVER use the auto takeoff or landing feature EVER!
If something goes wrong during takeoff in auto mode, it can crash right down to earth crushing the camera.
A good op will always do take off and landing manually as it is good flying practice.
We need to control when the bird lands, not DJI.
I have been flying for about 12 hrs. I never use auto takeoff or landing, but do allow the gear to go up and down automatically. Encourages slow landings while I wait for the gear to go down. Ironic that you don't trust the DJI app, but entrust a flight to these automatic flightpath apps. Can you take over the waypointed flight at any time?

I have been flying for about 12 hrs. I never use auto takeoff or landing, but do allow the gear to go up and down automatically. Encourages slow landings while I wait for the gear to go down. Ironic that you don't trust the DJI app, but entrust a flight to these automatic flightpath apps. Can you take over the waypointed flight at any time?
Yes, absolutely!
Just flip the controller to P mode and you've got full manual control.
The machine will immediately hover when you do this as well so you can decide the next move.

Take a look at this video.
Never mind the guy taking off with a Critical battery warning but look what happens when he has the landing gear on auto, then decides to lower manually after takeoff...Yes he did take off!...but it's too late gimbal is lower than the legs...crash.

White Airwolf is giving you good advice. There is always a chance of failure (in this case it was pilot ignoring the warnings and lowering the legs and the draw on the battery was too much with what was left) so the more you are in control of the aircraft the safer your flight experience will be. If he was in manual control of the landing gear he could have protected the gimbal/camera.

Nearly all SDK apps display some critical info. Some more than others.

With all these apps it again is good practice to take off using GO, do all your preflight checks etc, takeoff, keep low (2m), let battery warm a little, check battery cell levels, check compass levels, check GPS hold, check stick inputs etc only then raise the gear. Then climb to around 5m. If all is still OK, flick to F mode and run your SDK app.

I don't know any SDK app that can check the compass calibration value for example. This is a prime cause of drifting yet it will still say Good to fly. Seeing 'Good to Fly' does not always mean it is good to fly.

Reactions: PB30X
I have seen great footage from these apps, but how do they work with the DJI Go app? Are they used INSTEAD of DJI GO. If so, what happens to all the battery monitoring, logging, gear up/down and return to home facilities?
Yes they are used instead, and the amount of replication of DJI GO features depends on what that app's developer has chosen to implement, each app offers a different set of features (which can be annoying at times).

Looking for Mission Planner on App Store, but only see FPV Camera.
So, do I purchase the FPV Camera, which leads to purchasing Mission Planner as the in-app purchase?

FPV Camera v3.0 is released. What's new in v3.0:

General:
• Deploy the latest DJI SDK 3.1
• New: Support Phantom 4, Phantom 3 (Pro/Adv/Std/4K), Inspire 1 (X3/X5/X5R), Matrice 100
• New: Full camera settings without requiring DJI GO, such as Auto/Manual mode, Shutter, Aperture, ISO, Video 720p-4K (24-120 fps), etc.
• New: C1 (left) button customization (Gimbal Pitch/Yaw, Gimbal Follow/FPV, Camera Forward/Down, Mission Pause/Resume, Aspect Ratio 4:3/16:9)
• Improved: Gimbal indicator
• Improved: Settings menu reposition
• Other minor fixes & enhancements

Camera:
• New: Additional Custom Telemetry for camera settings
• New: Gimbal wheel speed control

Mission Planner:
• New: Video panorama
- Configurable 1/3/10 revolutions
- Configurable yaw speed (2-10)
- Auto video recording upon mission start
• New: Auto takeoff in Waypoint, Target-Waypoint, Pano-Waypoint missions
• New: Pilot Wand option
• New: Camera shutter gesture: one-finger double-tap on main window with live video feed
• Fixed: Screen recorder crashed upon starting Orbit mission
• Changed: Checklist shows Initial height, RTH height, Estimated battery

FPV Goggles:
• New: Toggle On/Off Navigation Map
• New: Additional Custom Telemetry for camera settings
• New: Support both 4:3 (larger goggles side-by-side display) and 16:9 display

Never tried the Pana mode though.
Not sure exactly whatnot does.
Is it strictly a photo mission?
What is the point if it?

Ok thanks.
Also, I tried the auto tilt feature but can I make it work by not flying a mission? In other words, manual flying?
I prepared a mission, started flying then paused and then lowered the Inspire to the ground and up again and the auto tilt worked.
I then tried to fly away to try the auto tilt but it wouldn't let me fly because it was tied to the set mission.
Is there a way to have auto tilt work while flying manually?
If not, please add it. It would be a great feature as the tilt wheel, as you know, is extremely awkward to use on the left side of the controller, especially for right handed folks.

Ok thanks.
Also, I tried the auto tilt feature but can I make it work by not flying a mission? In other words, manual flying?
I prepared a mission, started flying then paused and then lowered the Inspire to the ground and up again and the auto tilt worked.
I then tried to fly away to try the auto tilt but it wouldn't let me fly because it was tied to the set mission.
Is there a way to have auto tilt work while flying manually?
If not, please add it. It would be a great feature as the tilt wheel, as you know, is extremely awkward to use on the left side of the controller, especially for right handed folks.
Auto-Tilt is designed to work in Target-Waypoint (multiple POI) and Orbit missions.

If you want to fly manually, Camera mode allows you to change Gimbal Speed (a slider) under Settings menu for slow/smooth tilting. There are other apps with vision focus feature to auto-tilt camera & yaw aircraft, but we thought they are not safe nor reliable.

As you might be aware back to early this year, another app developer found a so called critical issue (failed to RTH if signal lost during virtual joystick mode in SDK) affecting related flight modes in those apps. This issue has been persisting in FW 1.6/1.7 as of today, and hope DJI will fix it in the next FW update. However, there is no impact to FPV Camera nor DJI GO apps since we don't use virtual joystick mode flying aircraft.

We also considered what happen if the app crash? It's always a balance between feature-rich vs. safety and reliability. It's worth to read Safety and Usability.

Last edited:
The latest DJI aircraft FW 1.8 and RC FW 1.6 fixed C1 button customization pop-up window on FPV Camera.

A new beta v3.1 is available. If you have signed up as beta tester, you may update v3.1 beta in TestFlight.

- New: Terrain elevation on Google Map with WP/Target/Home elevation & AFE (Above Field Elevation)
- New: Custom Telemetry of Lowest/Average/Highest Cell Voltage (L.C.V, A.C.V, H.C.V)
- New: Custom Telemetry available in Mission Planner
- Fixed: Custom Warning in Mission Planner
- Fixed: P4 Panorama mode drift issue

Reactions: slim.slamma
- New: Terrain elevation on Google Map with WP/Target/Home elevation & AFE (Above Field Elevation)
Could you give an example of how this works?
I don't want to assume but for long range flights this should be just what I need. To have a honest height reading.
I'm separated from bird for about 1 week so I can't check myself. I have the paid app

Could you give an example of how this works?
I don't want to assume but for long range flights this should be just what I need. To have a honest height reading.
I'm separated from bird for about 1 week so I can't check myself. I have the paid app
Terrain Elevation (v3.1 beta)

Terrain elevation is crucial for planning and flying in mountain terrain. Improper planning might cause crashing into mountain or tree.

IMG_0410_800.jpg

• When Show Elevation option is enabled in Settings, additional elevation of waypoint/target/home point and AFE (Above Field Elevation) values are shown on the map as above screenshot.
  • Home Elevation: Elevation of planned home point. Once home point is changed or updated upon connected to RC/aircraft, the elevation and all corresponding AFE of waypoints and targets (POIs) are updated accordingly. The screenshot shows 693m elevation at home point.
  • Waypoint Elevation: Field elevation of waypoint. The screenshot shows 794m at waypoint-1 and 884m at waypoint-2 respectively.
  • Target (POI) Elevation: Field elevation of target (POI). The screenshot shows 932m at target-1, which is a weather radar station at the peak of mountain.
  • Height: This is normal planned Height of waypoints and targets above/below home point (as known as AHL - Above Home Level). All waypoint/target altitude settings are based on Height. The screenshot shows 150m at waypoint-1 and 180m at waypoint-2 respectively.
  • AFE (Above Field Elevation): This is planned altitude of waypoints and targets above/below the field terrain (calculated per home point elevation + Height - waypoint/target elevation). The screenshot shows 49m at waypoint-1 and -11m at waypoint-2 respectively, while negative value means crash. If we fly this mission, aircraft will crash into mountain/tree between waypoint-1 and waypoint-2. AFE also excludes trees, buildings, power line towers or any obstacles in the field, which should be taken into account in planning stage.

Reactions: slim.slamma
Terrain Elevation (v3.1 beta)

Terrain elevation is crucial for planning and flying in mountain terrain. Improper planning might cause crashing into mountain or tree.

IMG_0410_800.jpg

• When Show Elevation option is enabled in Settings, additional elevation of waypoint/target/home point and AFE (Above Field Elevation) values are shown on the map as above screenshot.
  • Home Elevation: Elevation of planned home point. Once home point is changed or updated upon connected to RC/aircraft, the elevation and all corresponding AFE of waypoints and targets (POIs) are updated accordingly. The screenshot shows 693m elevation at home point.
  • Waypoint Elevation: Field elevation of waypoint. The screenshot shows 794m at waypoint-1 and 884m at waypoint-2 respectively.
  • Target (POI) Elevation: Field elevation of target (POI). The screenshot shows 932m at target-1, which is a weather radar station at the peak of mountain.
  • Height: This is normal planned Height of waypoints and targets above/below home point (as known as AHL - Above Home Level). All waypoint/target altitude settings are based on Height. The screenshot shows 150m at waypoint-1 and 180m at waypoint-2 respectively.
  • AFE (Above Field Elevation): This is planned altitude of waypoints and targets above/below the field terrain (calculated per home point elevation + Height - waypoint/target elevation). The screenshot shows 49m at waypoint-1 and -11m at waypoint-2 respectively, while negative value means crash. If we fly this mission, aircraft will crash into mountain/tree between waypoint-1 and waypoint-2. AFE also excludes trees, buildings, power line towers or any obstacles in the field, which should be taken into account in planning stage.
Sorry I'm a Inspire 1 forum loyalists
Facebook is just not my thing. Thanks for the example:rolleyes:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EarthmovingAdelaide