Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

FW 1.09 observation

Reaction score
Judging by the content of most FW posts I'm gathering it's heresy to speak positively about one, so please tolerate my foolishness as I am yet a newbie.
I always update to the latest FW partially because I don't know any better but mostly because my I1 is still under warranty, I've already had one take a dive and I don't care to have DJI not take responsibility because I did not have the latest FW.
Ok, that being said it appears my Oly 14-42, now retracts fully when I power down! Holy of Holies all praise the drone Gods. However after the update the aircraft did appear to want to take a trip of it's own but I quickly switched to ATTI landed her relocated performed a fresh IMU Calibration and the world is turning normally again. Oh and maybe I should add I was flying immediately after a very large and powerful thunderstorm which in fact was still in the area. Also it appears to me she no longer holds altitude as precisely, I'm seeing 1 meter fluctuations which really causes a lot of sphincter tightening when i'm low down and almost level with the ground, (a blues lyric for some of the less enlightened), Please note these are the "observations" of a wide eyed drone loving rookie, please direct any analytical questions to those on the board who are vastly more knowledgable but slightly less better looking than I.

Last edited:
Seems that an IMU calibration and relink to the controller is needed after this update.

I have seen no problems reported once these two items have been completed.

Seems that an IMU calibration and relink to the controller is needed after this update.

I have seen no problems reported once these two items have been completed.

Dave, as the Editor will likely inform you need to perform a full round of calibrations after every firmware update and the calibrations include: IMU, Compass and Sticks. You can do the IMU cal inside your house but make sure you have a firm and level surface and do not walk around while the IMU cal is in progress. The compass cal needs to be done outside and away from anything that might effect the compass -- things like power lines, railroad rails, or anything that could skew the compass. The sticks calibration is done by moving the sticks and gimbal controls through there full range of motion -- I'm not 100% sure where the stick cal menu is but it's there and only takes a minute to do.

So, to repeat, perform all the calibrations after every AC firmware update. You need not do it if you only updated the battery firmware but it must be done if you update the AC firmware. I don't know that there's every been an RC update that didn't also come with an AC update so I can't say for sure if any of the calibrations are needed if only the RC firmware is updated and not the AC firmware.

Lastly, you should get into the habit of checking the MOD values before you fly. DJI has recommended that the compass needs to be calibrated anytime you move more than a little from the place you last cal'd the compass, but others here, including particularly the Editor, who's an engineer BTW, suggests that you should only re-calibrate the compass if the MOD value is outside of the 1400-1600 range with 1500 being dead nuts center. In my case I had be re-calibrating the compass every flight, but since E corrected me on this I've only re-cal'd the compass if the MOD value was outside of about 1430-1570 -- a bit tighter than the 1400-1600 spec. I did a trip in April where I traveled several hundred miles and saw only a modest change in MOD values.

Brian

Dave, as the Editor will likely inform you need to perform a full round of calibrations after every firmware update and the calibrations include: IMU, Compass and Sticks. You can do the IMU cal inside your house but make sure you have a firm and level surface and do not walk around while the IMU cal is in progress. The compass cal needs to be done outside and away from anything that might effect the compass -- things like power lines, railroad rails, or anything that could skew the compass. The sticks calibration is done by moving the sticks and gimbal controls through there full range of motion -- I'm not 100% sure where the stick cal menu is but it's there and only takes a minute to do.

So, to repeat, perform all the calibrations after every AC firmware update. You need not do it if you only updated the battery firmware but it must be done if you update the AC firmware. I don't know that there's every been an RC update that didn't also come with an AC update so I can't say for sure if any of the calibrations are needed if only the RC firmware is updated and not the AC firmware.

Lastly, you should get into the habit of checking the MOD values before you fly. DJI has recommended that the compass needs to be calibrated anytime you move more than a little from the place you last cal'd the compass, but others here, including particularly the Editor, who's an engineer BTW, suggests that you should only re-calibrate the compass if the MOD value is outside of the 1400-1600 range with 1500 being dead nuts center. In my case I had be re-calibrating the compass every flight, but since E corrected me on this I've only re-cal'd the compass if the MOD value was outside of about 1430-1570 -- a bit tighter than the 1400-1600 spec. I did a trip in April where I traveled several hundred miles and saw only a modest change in MOD values.

Brian
Thank you for the edumacation ☺️

Brian
Does it matter what order you do all those calibrations?

Does it matter what order you do all those calibrations?
My advice would be:
IMU first on a cold machine (one that has sat for 30 minutes or so switched off) as soon as you turn it on go straight into the IMU calibration and run it before the mems gyro units start to heat up.
Then do a compass calibration (with the caveats above about location away from anything that could skew it - so NEVER do it inside a building)
Lastly, stick calibration.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela