Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Gimbal Gyroscope Error

Reaction score
Website
www.pageforestry.co.uk
Hi,

Further to my earlier post on "No Image Transmission Signal - Gimbal OK" I received the camera back from DJI. Now on FW 1.11.01.50. I followed Donnie Franks magic Key and it's now saying it is on FW 1.08.01.00. All well and good, see photo...

However, the Gimbal is Limp, The drone fires up and the gimbal doesn't do it's dance. Otherwise the drone seems to operate well (on the bench without props). The camera sends a picture and I can physically point it at an object and focus it via the GO app.

The GO app says "Hardware error" and "Gimbal Gyroscope Error - contact DJI"

It's not a hardware fault the camera is just back from DJI, I watched it do it's dance this morning when I attempted the magic key for the first time.

Since then it hasn't danced, but has just dangled there limp, like the last turkey in the shop.

Any advice anyone?

Cheers

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_7188.jpg
    IMG_7188.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
Hi,

Further to my earlier post on "No Image Transmission Signal - Gimbal OK" I received the camera back from DJI. Now on FW 1.11.01.50. I followed Donnie Franks magic Key and it's now saying it is on FW 1.08.01.00. All well and good, see photo...

However, the Gimbal is Limp, The drone fires up and the gimbal doesn't do it's dance. Otherwise the drone seems to operate well (on the bench without props). The camera sends a picture and I can physically point it at an object and focus it via the GO app.

The GO app says "Hardware error" and "Gimbal Gyroscope Error - contact DJI"

It's not a hardware fault the camera is just back from DJI, I watched it do it's dance this morning when I attempted the magic key for the first time.

Since then it hasn't danced, but has just dangled there limp, like the last turkey in the shop.

Any advice anyone?

Cheers

Mark

Well, it has been determined that DJI has used newer parts in the cameras that are not compatible with older firmware.

So, that means that you should use the same "forced" method to try to update to 01.11.01.50. Hopefully that will restore functionality in the camera.

If it does, then your only option is to get a X3 camera and force the upgrade to the older firmware. You can also use an Osmo version of the X3 or Z3 camera.

Here is the rule for firmware on the Inspire 1:

A) You want 1.8,x,x or 1.9.x.x on your aircraft. Both are fine and if you read my previous firmware dissertations, they are functionally the same, just that 1.8/1.9 are needed depending on the camera you are using. You also want the matching firmware on the controller to maximize range and usability.

B) You want the LATEST firmware on the cameras themselves. Doesn't matter if it is a X3, Z3, X5 or X5R. They made plenty of fixes to the camera process to take into account jitter, color corrections, white balance fixes, even codec changes that affect the output, all in the most progressive manner possible (ie, later firmware make fixes and improve image quality).

Now, there was talk of a certain update that caused an issue with image quality on the X5, but was determined that the latest 01.11.05.50 firmware actually fixed that issue entirely, so chasing that red herring is fruitless.

Unfortunately, if you revert the aircraft to a previous firmware, you also end up reverting the cameras. That is why if you use a Osmo camera (be sure to use the X3 firmware of 1.08.x.x for the regular Osmo, and the Z3 1.09.x.x firmware for the Osmo+ camera) to do the firmware update, you can then take the Osmo camera, put it back in the Osmo handle and flash it with the appropriate Osmo firmware with the "forced" option and get the camera back to where it is useful again.

Personally, that is my methodology of doing firmware downgrades on the aircraft and has worked excellently on all 3 of my own Inspire 1.

I also had a X5 go "limp" and useless while doing a "forced" update per DJI instructions and had to have it replaced by DJI since it became unresponsive. That was the event that caused me to deep-dive into Inspire firmware to begin with.

I'd come to the same conclusion as you (use the forced update method to get it back to 1.11.50) and I've tried to "Force update" it to 1.11.50 and succeeded. Gimbal unresponsive, and "No image transmission" now.

The reason I wanted to downgrade it was the image transmission was poor, screen flickering and image dropping all the time from just a few metres away.

Not sure what to do now. I've tried to "Force update" it to 1.11.50 a few time, hoping that one time it will resurrect the link between the camera and the gimbal, but to no avail.

Seems like I've bricked the dam' thing - at least the repair came with 3 months warranty (three weeks ago) so I can send it back to Heliguy/DJI and see what they say. But it's pretty dam' annoying that such expensive and apparently well made technology can be screwed up by the manufacturers.

The trouble is I like the look of the Mavic 2 Pro, maybe not as good a camera as the Inspire 1 X5, but it is portable and has a 30 minute flight time which makes it very attractive to me in my line of work.

However I now have little confidence in DJI, their ethos and their expensive products.

Yeah I was afraid the firmware downgrade was going to brick the camera.

Pretty sad they didn't change stuff inside the camera firmware to keep that from happening.

The camera now doesn't connect to the drone, so there's something stopping it. I've tried the drone-hacks app, but the Inspire 1 isn't yet supported by it. I hope it is soon.
The camera is now bricked. You have to send it in, no option. Been there, done that.

Also the Inspire 1 won't be supported by drone-hacks, since it is not needed. With the right firmware you can hack the internal config to do what you want. That config change can be loaded like a firmware update, but it doesn't flash the firmware it only flashes the config. Again, I have done that on mine.

Thanks(!). No, really! It's all frustrating. I'm likely to head to Heliguy (DJI) tomorrow. I can't be without a drone, so I'm thinking of the Mavic 2 Pro.

If the Inspire gets fixed I'll likely put it up for sale to offset the cost of the Mavic.

If Ford, Toyota, Whirlpool, etc treated their products and customers this way there would be a massive negative response by consumers and governments... Imagine if you bought a 150 HP car today and three years later Ford made it 75 HP, then screwed up the maintenance system so that when you tried to correct it it was rendered unusable?

Brian, I wouldn't mind you pointing me in the way of the right firmware you mentioned that can hack the internal config.

Orrabest

Mark

As far as drones, the Mavic 2 Pro is a GREAT drone. Pictures are excellent, with the X5 having an edge in only some settings with different lenses or settings.

You will find the Mavic 2 Pro is a TOTALLY different drone experience also. It hovers dead SOLID. It is almost mechanical it its movements, where-as the Inspire 1 is more or less organic in comparison.

My fleet includes:

Phantom 4 Pro
Mavic 2 Pro
Mavic 2 Zoom
Mavic Air
Parrot Anafi
Inspire 1 x3 (V2, Pro and RAW with X3/Z3/X5/X5R cameras)

Every single drone has a different capability. Even the Parrot Anafi (has a vertical camera for direct underneath inspections and shots). All are 4K video.

Also, the firmware you want for making config changes are the same preferred versions, ie, 1.08.x.x and 1.09.x.x. Lookup the posts I have made and I did a big dissection of the various firmware options and why those are the best.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasovinido