Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Got told off today! - Not allowed to fly in Country park, UK

Reaction score
I went out early today to do some flying, I was on my second battery and a van approached me on the football fields where I was standing. It was the country park ranger, he told me I'm not allowed to fly there.

I was in the middle of 6 football pitches, hardily no one around as I was there early, these pitches are on the edge of about 500 acres of woodland which I was flying over, I kept will within LOS and was about 90m high in general.

I asked why I'm not allowed and he seemed to make up excuses - he accused me of flying over people and a little cafe. I showed him my fight path and video to prove this was not the case.

He then said it's got a camera "you can't fly because of that". So I asked if I could fly it if I took it off, he said no.

I said OK - please can you let me know where I can review the "rules" as I wanted to ensure I abide by them in future, he then then muttered something about a bye law, to which I asked which one, so I can look it up - he didn't know. (I call the local authority to esbalish this)

So I guess I've got to find other spots to fly - but if I can't fly in an area with 500 acres of dense woodland it's going to be limited where I live just north of London. In the south of England 500 acres is a lot !

So the morale of the story, you can still get an adverse reaction even when you have gone somewhere safe to fly!

Last edited:
Oh yes....peoples ignorance of the law unfortunately.
You did the right thing but should have asked for the name and contact details of his superiors so you can verify and get direction as to what part of the Air Navigation Order CAP722 you are in breach of as you were flying for recreational purposes away from congested areas and not within 150/50m of people/structures etc during flight/take off and landing.
It is a good idea to have a copy of the pertinent section of the ANO with you for those eventualities which you can hand out to jobs worth when they appear like that.

My response to questions like that is always to try and be OVERLY helpful. "Really?!? I'm sorry, I had no idea... listen, I know a LOT of folks who fly, and this is something they really need to be made aware of. Can you show me that regulation, or tell me where I can find it? I want to be able to share this with them, so I can help make YOUR job easier." You'd be surprised how quickly people change their tone lol.

-KC

I fly at a country park, never seen a ranger, then the other day I was flying where they were working. After a few min they both came over and were asking all about the inspire, they then went and carried on doing their job and all was fine. You should say " I'm a pilot and you are disturbing my concentration, if I crash you will be liable for the crash, please wait for me to land, thank you".

I went out early today to do some flying, I was on my second battery and a van approached me on the football fields where I was standing. It was the country park ranger, he told me I'm not allowed to fly there.

I was in the middle of 6 football pitches, hardily none around as I was there early, these pitches are on the edge of about 500 acres of woodland which I was flying over, I kept will within LOS and was about 90m high in general.

I asked why I'm not allowed and he seemed to make up excuses - he accused me of flying over people and a little cafe. I showed him my fight path to prove and video to prove this was not the case.

He then said it's got a camera "you can't fly because of that". So I asked if I could fly it if I took it off, he said no.

I said OK - please can you let me know where I can review the "rules" as I wanted to ensure I abide by them in future, he then then muttered something about a bye law, to which I asked which one, so I can look it up - he didn't know. (I call the local authority to esbalish this)

So I guess I've got to find other spots to fly - but if I can't fly in an area with 500 acres of dense woodland it's going to limited where I live just north of London. In the south of England 500 acres is a lot !

So the morale of the story, you can still get an adverse reaction even when you have gone somewhere safe to fly!

I just laugh and let them taze me. Then I sue their asses!

The Editor could not have put this better. If you have been flying within the law there's nothing they can do about it. Being a responsible quad owner you will almost always know more than the people who try and tell you where you cannot fly. so show them the rules and then continue enjoying your I1 right where you were flying.

Honestly the negative public perception of what is essentially just a flying camera is quite irritating and stopping us from getting those amazing unique shots. :(

Hey guys..
I wouldn't suggest telling a police officer in American the law..
You might not enjoy his or her response..
The statement there's nothing they could do..cracks me up..
They do whatever they want and that could include beating your ***..
Turbo..

Sadly this is true. I assume you mean in America? I do feel they are a little better here in the UK. And I do say this from experience after having a conversation with police after flying on some private property (with permission) where some people called the police due to 'Privacy concerns'

Afterwards I was back in the air without a problem.

But yes obviously this is about the type of person that comes to deal with you. some people cannot be told regardless of the law.

I'll remember to more tactful in the states ;)

Reactions: rosey
My response to questions like that is always to try and be OVERLY helpful. "Really?!? I'm sorry, I had no idea... listen, I know a LOT of folks who fly, and this is something they really need to be made aware of. Can you show me that regulation, or tell me where I can find it? I want to be able to share this with them, so I can help make YOUR job easier." You'd be surprised how quickly people change their tone lol.

-KC
To be fair to him I did say I didn't want to upset anyone, he said I've got no problem with it, I'm just doing my job.

Oh yes....peoples ignorance of the law unfortunately.
You did the right thing but should have asked for the name and contact details of his superiors so you can verify and get direction as to what part of the Air Navigation Order CAP722 you are in breach of as you were flying for recreational purposes away from congested areas and not within 150/50m of people/structures etc during flight/take off and landing.
It is a good idea to have a copy of the pertinent section of the ANO with you for those eventualities which you can hand out to jobs worth when they appear like that.
I did ask for a name and he gave me a mobile number - I left a message for him to give me a call back, a quick google and he is the "Parks and Open Spaces Service Supervisor"

So let's see what he says when he calls back...

I did ask for a name and he gave me a mobile number - I left a message for him to give me a call back, a quick google and he is the "Parks and Open Spaces Service Supervisor"

So let's see what he says when he calls back...
OK, keep the forum posted on how you get on as I'm sure there will be a lot of interest here.
Remember, whoever you talk to needs to explain why they believe you were in breach of the Air Navigation Order.
Of course there MAY actually be some bylaw that no Radio Controlled models/aircraft are allowed in the park.....in which case you're stuffed!!! :p:p:p.
The only way round that one is to get a special permission from the CAA but if you do not have permission for aerial work already granted from them you won't get it.

I'll post back once I've spoken to him. Your right there may well be a bylaw, which is why I backed down until I knew for sure. If there is one I'll find out the details and if it covers certain areas or the whole 500 acres.
It got me thinking, I have an allotment in this area and I have a friend who's garden backs onto it.... Could I take off from one of these?

Hey guys..
I wouldn't suggest telling a police officer in American the law..
You might not enjoy his or her response..
The statement there's nothing they could do..cracks me up..
They do whatever they want and that could include beating your ***..
Turbo..

You're right Turbo I wouldn't but if you have documentations with you explaining that your are within the law a police officer has no basis to go any further. A few key note to adhere to are 1) be polite and nice, 2) be articulate in your explanation, 3) better have supporting documents to back your explanation.

I've heard and known people in PRK (People's Republic of Kalifornia) when they encountered a police officer regarding a legal AR15 rifle in their possession.

Most (90-95%) Law Enforcement officers do not know squat about what is a legal semi-auto rifle. Thus I have documents and a "flow chart" to what is legal and illegal.

Just in case some of y'all may think I am full of it here is a copy.

awflowchart.jpg

Anyways when I visit a CA State Park and plan to fly there I always will call in ahead of time to let them know I will be there and carry these documents.

Attachments

• California State Parks` Filming Policy.pdf
    116.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Definition of Commercial Filming Projects.pdf
    165.5 KB · Views: 11
  • District Office Contact Information.pdf
    161.3 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: turbodronepilot
Impressive flow chart! Fortunately our gun laws in UK are not so complicated...but I think I do need to get copies of the other "UK" related documents.

I agreed. We are two different cultures separated by a philosophy and perspective. Oh by the way if you ever encounter Piers Morgan kick him in the nuts for me. :D

ok - I called him today and mentioned I had given his name to get clarification on flying a quadcopter.

His reply "sorry what is a a quadcopter, is it a drone?"

I asked about bylaws etc and asked for details, he said it's not so much about that it's about them giving permission and asked that I send him an email. He said they need to review as they "can't give blanket permission otherwise they will have everyone flying around' He said he will need to review as he needs to ensure public safety etc.

I asked if this is how it works then?, rather than me being responsible for flying within the law and being responsible for the inspire, they have to give persimmon to each indiviadaul?

He said yes as they need to review it, even though it's a public space they still own the land.

So I need to put an email together, but I need to be fairly factual in terms of what I'm asking. Do I simply ask for details on the laws? Or is it really just a case of sticking to their rules?

I'd round up a list of safety guidelines that you subscribe to and include that. Add "I will" or "I do not" in front of these and modify as required :)

Example:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/civilaviation/standards/general-recavi-uav-2265.htm?WT.mc_id=1zfhj#safety
--------

DO:

Only fly your aircraft during daylight and in good weather (not in clouds or fog).

Always keep your aircraft in sight, where you can see it with your own eyes – not only through an on-board camera, monitor or smartphone.

Make sure your aircraft is safe for flight before take-off. Ask yourself, for example, are the batteries fully charged? Is it too cold to fly?

Respect the privacy of others – avoid flying over private property or taking photos or videos without permission.

DONT FLY:

Closer than 9 km from any airport, heliport, or aerodrome.

Higher than 120 metres from above the ground.

Closer than 150 metres from people, animals, buildings, structures, or vehicles.

In populated areas or near large groups of people, including sporting events, concerts, festivals, and firework shows.

Near moving vehicles, avoid highways, bridges, busy streets or anywhere you could endanger or distract drivers.

Within restricted airspace, including near or over military bases, prisons, and forest fires.

Anywhere you may interfere with first responders

Reactions: rosey

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo