Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Has Anyone Come Across This?

Reaction score
When I reach 360' distortion of crop lines become apparent. This is a unedited version, just wanted to get input of other pilots that might have come across this problem.It was shot at 1080 30fps..

I havent noticed this yet, but I guess I dont really go that high...I have a lot of fields in the background when i'm doing towers, but usually around 200' as most monopoles are. I definitely see what you're talking about but not sure if a setting could fix it...I'm sure someone else will know on here

off topic, but still...... out of interest, is that video of any use to the tower companies? surely its not detailed enough to be of use? I only ask because I am looking for new ways to move the inspire, and assumed the video was completely useless for an inspection.

I assume your video is for something other than inspection.

Hey m00se....This video was just a the first flight of when i received the Inspire, It's basically useless, not smooth, didn't change the tilt settings, ect... Just trying to get used to the controller functions. These are basically neighbors and I just wanted to see what kind of video can be produced. It would have been relatively easy to get close and stable footage of a particular component of this wind tower however I wasn't feeling comfortable with the new bird yet..

I do know the power company here is looking into utilizing drones to check power grid lines instead of the copters...

It wasnt me who made the flight. I assume permissions were granted. and the generator was stopped.

But its more about the camera used,

Reactions: Soflms
We do work for the company that builds these wind towers, and they also use this footage at there corp. events.... I wish it was better though....

It wasnt me who made the flight. I assume permissions were granted. and the generator was stopped.

But its more about the camera used,
Thanks for your reply. Yep, an official inspection would come with the proper permissions.

I was actually wondering about the OP's flight/video (and sorry for the off topic question.)

When I reach 360' distortion of crop lines become apparent. This is a unedited version, just wanted to get input of other pilots that might have come across this problem.It was shot at 1080 30fps..

This effect is called "moire' it happens when light and dark lines or other patterns are too close together ; the sharpness of the lens or camera software preset plays big part in this . The most DSLR cameras are equipped with so called low pass filter ,which will unsharp the image just a bit before the image hits the sensor.
I would say to do another test and set the sharpness to minus setting .

Last edited:
Reactions: Drone Mastery
Thanks for your advice and explanation Paul, I will try that....
Your welcome.
Moire' is little bit complex to explain , because the frequencies are involved in this as well.
My expertise is in still photography ,the videography not so much. If I remember correctly in Nikon series cameras the D800 was the first camera made with and without LOW PASS filter; the one without LP filter was ,or is popular by wedding photographers ,because it can deliver were sharp images ( only problem was with dreses with fine stripes ,but that could be managed by masking in editing).
I thing in videography it isn't such a big deal to see little bit of this effect here and there; in some documentaries on TV (like" Magnifica Italia" etc.) you can spot it there as well.
Try to unsharp in camera first (very little) and second test try to unsharp in editing and compare what will work better

Last edited:
Your welcome.
Moire' is little bit complex to explain , because the frequencies are involved in this as well.
My expertise is in still photography ,the videography not so much. If I remember correctly in Nikon series cameras the D800 was the first camera made with and without LOW PASS filter; the one without LP filter was ,or is popular by wedding photographers ,because it can deliver were sharp images ( only problem was with dreses with fine stripes ,but that could be managed by masking in editing).
I thing in videography it isn't such a big deal to see little bit of this effect her and there; in some documentaries on TV (like" Magnifica Italia" etc.) you can spot it there as well.
Try to unsharp in camera first (very little) and second test try to unsharp in editing and compare what will work better

Paul K,
Went out yesterday and tested at the same place and I just turned it down to -1 and it solved the problem completely, You are the man...... Thank you again for the advice.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop