Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hazzy Skies

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
I want to reach out to all of you because I am at wits end. I'm struggling to get clearer video and photos. Normally this isn't an issue, but my province has so many wild fires that the sky is nothing but a haze.

I have read guides and other how-to's but they don't really touch on my issue. So I am curious if anyone else has this issue and how you adjusted for it. I have attached an unedited photo to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
Hi everyone!
I want to reach out to all of you because I am at wits end. I'm struggling to get clearer video and photos. Normally this isn't an issue, but my province has so many wild fires that the sky is nothing but a haze.

I have read guides and other how-to's but they don't really touch on my issue. So I am curious if anyone else has this issue and how you adjusted for it. I have attached an unedited photo to give you an idea of what I am talking about.

If you have a hazy atmosphere due to contaminants in the air there is nothing that will 'adjust' for this.
The light will scatter due to the amount of airborne particulates and unfortunately there is not a filter on the planet that can help.

The best you could do is put a circular polarized filter on to cut down on glare and polarise the light in one plane but I cannot see it helping that much in your circumstances. :(

Yeah, I had this problem when flying full-sized sailplanes and taking images and video from the air during forest fire season. The only thing that ever worked for me (but was a lot of effort, and didn't work that well) was to use a garbage matte and apply a filter in Premier to add a bit more blue to the haze -- the effect was just a little less depressing than a gray haze, but as Ed says, there is not enough information hitting the sensor for post processing to do much more. You could also try tweaking the contrast a bit in the haze area but I'm not sure you'll like the effect.

Reactions: The Editor
There is a new dehaze feature in the latest Photoshop and Lightroom if it's photos you want to fix.

More on it here with some examples...its pretty magical:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2015/0...aw-9-1-for-photoshop-cc-and-lightroom-cc.htmlView attachment 2749
View attachment 2750

thats cool, I just read it through on the link, but I dont understand how they can model the light derfraction and scatter etc from just the light that made it to the sensor of the camera, it seems impossible to me that they can get detail that isnt otherwise in the photo,,,,, still, they seem to be able to. Amazing

thats cool, I just read it through on the link, but I dont understand how they can model the light derfraction and scatter etc from just the light that made it to the sensor of the camera, it seems impossible to me that they can get detail that isnt otherwise in the photo,,,,, still, they seem to be able to. Amazing

Yeah it's pretty amazing.

A more complete write up on it here and a demo: http://petapixel.com/2015/06/16/dehaze-comes-to-adobe-photoshop-and-lightroom/

Content aware fill was another one a few releases back that just seemed impossible. I work at Adobe and I know the guys who worked on that feature and they are brilliant MIT guys (where a lot of the creative engineering guys come from).

Warp stabilizer in Premiere was another magical feature IMO.

There is a new dehaze feature in the latest Photoshop and Lightroom if it's photos you want to fix.

More on it here with some examples...its pretty magical:

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2015/0...aw-9-1-for-photoshop-cc-and-lightroom-cc.htmlView attachment 2749
View attachment 2750
Pretty amazing!
Not a lot of use for video unless........
I guess you could export out as say a targa sequence at your timeline frame rate, then let the dehazing feature work its magic on each 'frame'.
Then import back into your NLE of choice and Bob's your uncle......(in theory).
OK Damon, your mission, should you choose to accept it is to see if it CAN be done with video and a .tga sequence.
I'm thinking it could be render intensive though so get yourself a coffee and make a sandwich. :p

Pretty amazing!
Not a lot of use for video unless........
I guess you could export out as say a targa sequence at your timeline frame rate, then let the dehazing feature work its magic on each 'frame'.
Then import back into your NLE of choice and Bob's your uncle......(in theory).
OK Damon, your mission, should you choose to accept it is to see if it CAN be done with video and a .tga sequence.
I'm thinking it could be render intensive though so get yourself a coffee and make a sandwich. :p

Maybe but it may result in artifacts, as each frame is being analyzed independently, without regard to the previous or next frame.

Definitely worth trying though!

Note: I don't work in the creative business unit, so my knowledge of creative cloud features is only from a casual user perspective.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool