Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Heads up: potential v1.0.3 iOS app issues

Reaction score
Quite a few folks on the Facebook groups are reporting the v1.0.3 iOS app update is a significant step backwards.

A few issues reported so far:

- removed large set of channel options. Some folks reporting up to 20% shorter flights due to lack of clear channels

- removed most details in About panel

- MP4/MOV, and PAL/NTSC setting still not fixed

- app crashes mid flight and new home point set mid flight in app restart

- inability to record / broadcast with Shou after upgrade

Just a heads up. You may want to consider setting automatic app updates to OFF on your iOS device if you want to wait to update and stay on v1.0.2 for now.

DJI really needs to provide Release Notes on these app updates in my opinion.

Also: if you have issues with the app, my suggestion would be to post a review with those issues on the App Store for the current version. I'm guessing DJI reads those as they are public.

FB post link with some discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/DJIInspire1Owners/permalink/1577460732526808/

Last edited:
Reactions: Joola
Kinda too late...From here on out I'm definitely just gonna leave auto update off.

"- removed large set of channel options. Some folks reporting up to 20% shorter flights due to lack of clear channels"

This one makes absolutely no sense though.

I'm with tech 49...does anyone have a 1.0.2 they can send us?

It also looks like the IMU calibration was moved into the sensors menu...I'm calibrating right now...

Last edited:
Kinda too late...From here on out I'm definitely just gonna leave auto update off.

"- removed large set of channel options. Some folks reporting up to 20% shorter flights due to lack of clear channels"

This one makes absolutely no sense though.

I'm with tech 49...does anyone have a 1.0.2 they can send us?

It also looks like the IMU calibration was moved into the sensors menu...I'm calibrating right now...

Possibly due to using frequencies outside the allowable range in some jurisdictions?

Noted on the IMU calibration function move. I've updated the original post above.

Sadly though you can always delay accepting a new update but ultimately you are going to need to. When they release new features that you really want (POI, GS) you're going to need to update to that version which includes accepting it will all its glitches and warts. It fucks me off when they 'fix' things that are not broken but otherwise the improvements are normally worth upgrading to IMO.

Sadly though you can always delay accepting a new update but ultimately you are going to need to. When they release new features that you really want (POI, GS) you're going to need to update to that version which includes accepting it will all its glitches and warts. It fucks me off when they 'fix' things that are not broken but otherwise the improvements are normally worth upgrading to IMO.

What "improvements" are you seeing in v1.0.3?

I'm only seeing issues watching the forums and social media.

Understood about future features being delivered in the app but my sincere (albeit naive?) hope is that reporting these issues to DJI will allow them to fix them so that when the feature release arrives, we aren't faced with the "devil we know vs devil we don't" dilemma.

I'm not seeing any improvements in v1.0.3 yet because I have not flown with it since updating it yesterday. The issues that needed remedial action are more to do with the actual Inspire firmware rather than the app.

Well I flew today...I didn't have the app crash. I didn't notice a degradation in flight times. I did notice (which is new for me) that almost everytime I took off the app would say "homepoint relocated see map" or whatever she says, something along those lines however I didn't noticed the homepoint relocated at all, so this could be an app error not a flight error, as I never had this issue before.

IMU calibration is definitely in the Sensors menu...I had to calibrate at the field - seemed like a dumb thing to remove to begin with

And Im not familiar with the mp4/mov ntsc/pal issue.

All in all didn't have any issues except the gps switching to atti - this is a firmware issue though not a app issue.

Well I flew today...I didn't have the app crash. I didn't notice a degradation in flight times. I did notice (which is new for me) that almost everytime I took off the app would say "homepoint relocated see map" or whatever she says, something along those lines however I didn't noticed the homepoint relocated at all, so this could be an app error not a flight error, as I never had this issue before.

IMU calibration is definitely in the Sensors menu...I had to calibrate at the field - seemed like a dumb thing to remove to begin with

And Im not familiar with the mp4/mov ntsc/pal issue.

All in all didn't have any issues except the gps switching to atti - this is a firmware issue though not a app issue.

Thanks for the feed back. It's funny, everyone now expects the worst when an update comes out. Progress is made by taking small steps in the same direction. **** ups are made by taking giant leaps in any direction.

Flew through three batteries on 1.03 this afternoon. I had repeated issues of the camera functionality locking up when shifting back and forth between photo and video, or starting and stopping video recording. In most cases the camera picture would go black and none of the camera control functions would respond to touch, and in one case it just froze the camera display with the recording time no longer advancing. Telemetry still worked and was reporting altitude, distance, etc. I tried killing and restarting the app several times, but in each case I eventually had to power cycle the aircraft to get camera functionality back.

I updated and have not flown yet. Wonder if there is a way to revise back to the older version once you have made the upgrade?

Flew with 1.0.3 today and no issues. Settings that didn't stick do stick again, the reset/continuous file numbering option has been added, the app is now localized at least in French.

The illegal channels have indeed been removed in the manual LB settings.

Reactions: johnmont250
Flew with 1.0.3 today and no issues. Settings that didn't stick do stick again, the reset/continuous file numbering option has been added, the app is now localized at least in French.

The illegal channels have indeed been removed in the manual LB settings.
Hi Kilrah,
I don't do Apple (other than pie) but obviously this will come to Android in the coming days. I'm guessing DJI have had to comply with channel allocation and avoid running foul of the likes of OFCOM (UK). The auto channel function (which I always used anyway) will have to be bound by the same limitation, I just wonder if now range is going to be compromised due to a potential increased noise floor on the localized channels?

Oh well, guess there is nothing we can do in any case since the impending FW will require the up to date app. I'm guessing the next release will be mandatory.

If you used auto then there will be no change. Auto never went out of the legals channel anyway, you had to be in manual mode to use the others.

Hi Kilrah,
I don't do Apple (other than pie) but obviously this will come to Android in the coming days. I'm guessing DJI have had to comply with channel allocation and avoid running foul of the likes of OFCOM (UK). The auto channel function (which I always used anyway) will have to be bound by the same limitation, I just wonder if now range is going to be compromised due to a potential increased noise floor on the localized channels?

Oh well, guess there is nothing we can do in any case since the impending FW will require the up to date app. I'm guessing the next release will be mandatory.

Apparently yes, depending on radio traffic in your flight area.

One example was a guy yesterday who has flown 30+ times in the exact same area, same flight path and always got >1.5km range, now only gets 350m on v1.0.3. He reported all channels were red, indicating radio noise.

Your mileage will vary, depending on conditions, but it seems very unfortunate we all have to undertake this reduction in channels when perhaps only some areas restrict it.

I'm also having issues with this update.
I took off yesterday after full calibration in an area I often fly in.
Bird was hoovering at around 9ft then within seconds it started yaring right of its own accord, a message appeared in red within pilot app, compass no calibrated

I'm also having issues with this update.
I took off yesterday after full calibration in an area I often fly in.
Bird was hoovering at around 9ft then within seconds it started yaring right of its own accord, a message appeared in red within pilot app, compass no calibrated
I immediately landed and compass calibration returned to green.
A little spooked by this I checked everything over within pilot app and inspire 1.
Took off and then flew no problem.

One example was a guy yesterday who has flown 30+ times in the exact same area, same flight path and always got >1.5km range, now only gets 350m on v1.0.3. He reported all channels were red, indicating radio noise.
Unless the guy was manually setting a channel outside of the legal band before, the app update would have nothing to do with it. RF environments can and will change from a day to another, people need to start understanding that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop