Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hello All! Greetings from Coastal South Carolina

Reaction score
Myrtle Beach and Pawleys Island, South Carolina
Hi,

I'm new here and just wanted to introduce myself. I'm Richard Bachman and live near Myrtle Beach, South Carolina with my wife, Joan, our 3 dogs, a Parrot named General Lee (He thinks he's in charge..and will tell you so) and a geriatric senile cat.

I am told that my new Inspire-1 will arrive tomorrow. YEA!!! Well, I say "YEA" I haven't got the nerve up yet to tell my wife just how much I spent on a "toy." It's my money, but she sure does stake a convincing claim to it. LOL. Any advice from some of you more experienced husbands is greatly appreciated. (BTW, I've already chosen a casket) LOL.

I've not played with RC for about 10 years, but have "old-time" RC helicopter and plane experience. I'm a licensed pilot, but rarely fly anymore. I was looking at the Phantom-'s but took the hit and chose the Inspire because I figured I'd upgrade in a few months anyway. Besides, it can't be harder than an old time gasser 'copter, right?!?!?!?!

Anyway, I'll be unpacking the box tomorrow and greatly appreciate any advice, coaching, etc. and etc. specific to this aircraft and it's operation/idiosyncrasies/lessons-learned/advice/etc. I want to ensure I get going on the right foot and avoid some of the novice mistakes that's typical with this particular aircraft.

Thanks!

Rich B.

Rich:
It's not a TOY.
It's a member of the class of T.O.Y.S -- "Tools of your success." It's a revenue generating device in a fast emerging sector of technology and will put you in the forefront of unmanned airborne vehicles. (Try not to giggle when saying that to your lady wife -- it ruins the effect. AMHIK.)

To avoid an expensive crater, be sure to read the documentation. Also learn to fly the simulator (see the DJI App under the Help section for the simulator -- you need to have the remote controller connected to the DJI I1 and both powered up in order to fly the sim.

Also be sure to search for Inspire 1 video tutorials on YouTube, etc. DJI has a bunch of them accessible via the help section of the DJI Pilot app.

Be sure to post on this forum with questions.
The Editor knows everything! :) So does Mazz.

Andy.

When you first unpack it, pay attention to the instructions around assembly and be sure to heed the instructions to power off the craft after it transitions to landing mode and before mounting the camera gimbal.

Someone else mentioned the simulator already. It's good for learning about some of the settings in the app. One of which is enable "multiple flight modes". Enabling this setting will permit ATTI mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardB
Welcome Richard,
the Inspire1 is a stunning piece of technology and a lot of fun to fly.

Be advised though that only the IOS version of DJIPilot has the simulator.

I think that the simulator is invaluable to test out the behaviour of your Inspire with the actual settings you have, with certain wind conditions, without physically sending the bird up. It is quite accurate. It only provides a Line of Sight view, but that is actually a good thing. It will help you to learn to recognise the orientation of the craft in LOS. Keeping LOS is very important with the Inspire1 since it is not a toy but a 4Kg heavy flying lawnmower that you don't want to have ending up someones head. When it falls, it comes down like a 4 Kilogram brick. Max velocity is only after a few seconds and then it's coming down with something like 25m/s. You can test this safely in the simulator......

I can only hope the Android version will catch up soon. But for now, as it is, it's only for Apple users.

I was in the same boat, fixed wing and nitro cp heli experience, but no flying for 12 years. PPL training over 20 years ago. First bought a Phantom and learned a lot. Especially about orientation. Maybe the basic GPS mode flying is easy, but it is still a matter of knowing where your bird is going to go when you pitch it in any stick direction. Sometimes, just trying out by moving a stick slightly and see what it does, is already hazardous, if you're flying in (too)close proximity of any object. Your heli experience will prove very worthy whenever something goes wrong and your Inspire1 switches to Atti (semi manual) mode, or even full manual (sometimes electronics can fail...). Your muscle memory, from back then, will take over and you will bring in your bird safely. I had to get used to the self centring throttle stick at first, but after a while it felt very comfortable and natural.

I have a dog that adores my phantoms and inspire1. Whenever I say teedeeleedeelee (mimic of the startup sound) she becomes extremely happy and expects me to take her with me to go flying. She keeps a respectful distance but she's always around (when and if I let her). If the cat is coming too close she chases it away :). She actually knows that I'm the one controlling it!
Not an Inspire1 clip but you get the point.

Just checked in the simulator, max velocity when falling down is 22m/sec or 80km/hr. Not 25 as I stated before, but close :)

Welcome Richard,
the Inspire1 is a stunning piece of technology and a lot of fun to fly.

Be advised though that only the IOS version of DJIPilot has the simulator.

I think that the simulator is invaluable to test out the behaviour of your Inspire with the actual settings you have, with certain wind conditions, without physically sending the bird up. It is quite accurate. It only provides a Line of Sight view, but that is actually a good thing. It will help you to learn to recognise the orientation of the craft in LOS. Keeping LOS is very important with the Inspire1 since it is not a toy but a 4Kg heavy flying lawnmower that you don't want to have ending up someones head. When it falls, it comes down like a 4 Kilogram brick. Max velocity is only after a few seconds and then it's coming down with something like 25m/s. You can test this safely in the simulator......

I can only hope the Android version will catch up soon. But for now, as it is, it's only for Apple users.

I was in the same boat, fixed wing and nitro cp heli experience, but no flying for 12 years. PPL training over 20 years ago. First bought a Phantom and learned a lot. Especially about orientation. Maybe the basic GPS mode flying is easy, but it is still a matter of knowing where your bird is going to go when you pitch it in any stick direction. Sometimes, just trying out by moving a stick slightly and see what it does, is already hazardous, if you're flying in (too)close proximity of any object. Your heli experience will prove very worthy whenever something goes wrong and your Inspire1 switches to Atti (semi manual) mode, or even full manual (sometimes electronics can fail...). Your muscle memory, from back then, will take over and you will bring in your bird safely. I had to get used to the self centring throttle stick at first, but after a while it felt very comfortable and natural.

I have a dog that adores my phantoms and inspire1. Whenever I say teedeeleedeelee (mimic of the startup sound) she becomes extremely happy and expects me to take her with me to go flying. She keeps a respectful distance but she's always around (when and if I let her). If the cat is coming too close she chases it away :). She actually knows that I'm the one controlling it!
Not an Inspire1 clip but you get the point.

Cute Pup! I'm amazed she just sat there and enjoyed watching it fly with you....so many others would run away. Thanks for the advice also. When I was flying the large nitro helicopters I could usually plan on making at least a $100 hole about every other flight. After awhile I ran out of hole money and hide to learn to fly it properly, LOL. By the way, don't you find RC piloting much harder than General Aviation aircraft? I do (or did) LOL.

Thanks again!

Rich:
It's not a TOY.
It's a member of the class of T.O.Y.S -- "Tools of your success." It's a revenue generating device in a fast emerging sector of technology and will put you in the forefront of unmanned airborne vehicles. (Try not to giggle when saying that to your lady wife -- it ruins the effect. AMHIK.)

To avoid an expensive crater, be sure to read the documentation. Also learn to fly the simulator (see the DJI App under the Help section for the simulator -- you need to have the remote controller connected to the DJI I1 and both powered up in order to fly the sim.

Also be sure to search for Inspire 1 video tutorials on YouTube, etc. DJI has a bunch of them accessible via the help section of the DJI Pilot app.

Be sure to post on this forum with questions.
The Editor knows everything! :) So does Mazz.

Andy.

Thanks, Andy! Great advice I will put into action ASAP. Do you think I could get you to the beach to explain that thoughtful and expert explanation of why this is a very necessary item to have in the home to my wife? I'm still afraid and she's less likely to decapitate me with a witness there. LOL :D

When you first unpack it, pay attention to the instructions around assembly and be sure to heed the instructions to power off the craft after it transitions to landing mode and before mounting the camera gimbal.

Someone else mentioned the simulator already. It's good for learning about some of the settings in the app. One of which is enable "multiple flight modes". Enabling this setting will permit ATTI mode.

Thanks! I plan on laying everything out, taking inventory, and reading the instructions. I'm sure to have questions and this is a great resource!

Learn to fly it in Atti mode. It will come in handy when tbe GPS burps and ur inspire gets a mind of its own. Stay current with the upgrades, and after making a firmware upgrade, callibrate ur IMU and compass. If you can fly a helo, the inspire will be a cake walk even in Atti mode!

My simple advise is try to always fly in open areas avoid close proximity flying at least at first and fly high at least 60 ft will probably avoid most trees anyway , check all your calibrations etc before you fly you've probably heard all this but I've been flying the phantoms and now the inspire with no incidents . Have a set routine (checklist) before you fly and stick to it . This is one awesome machine and you will enjoy the technology. One more tip I don't know what you plan to use for FPV but I have an IPad Air 2 from the majority of advise on the forum and it works great with this system , good luck and have fun .

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerdry