Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Help me spend my money

Reaction score
So just for some reference, I am a college age drone pilot and currently run a fairly successful aerial photography company. The main issue I find in my work is asceticism. If someone is paying for a job, they expect a certain "wow factor".

Once they see the footage I shoot, they get the "wow" they wanted, but, when they see the drone (P4P) they just see a toy. If I showed them a Mavic vs a P4P, the Phantom looks better. But if I show them a Phantom 3 vs a P4P, they just see the same thing. Now, once you break out an Inspire, which is a flying Transformer, they freak out. I have lost some jobs to a competitor who flies a hexicopter with a GoPro on the bottom because their drone is bigger. ( Yes, I see the joke)

Now yes, I know the Inspire 1 and 2 are practically the same to the non informed, though my wallet says otherwise. however, the I1 is pretty much a dead end upgrade for me. Yes, you have the thermal and the zoom option, but I really need the 4k at 60 fps for my work. So that leaves the I2 which can continue to be upgraded.

Now, I could continue to save money and get the I2 down the road. OR, I can sell my Phantom 4 Pro and get the I2 with the X4S (yes I know its spending $1000 for no change beside better handling in wind). Now, I know the I2 is a beast. Its big, heavy, and hard to travel with. Currently, I very rarely take trips so the portability difference is very minor. I used to own a Mavic and sold it because I liked the better camera options of the P4P and I can travel with the P4P if needed.

I have these grandiose dreams of being able to travel and take drone shots, but those may just stay dreams.

So what would yall say?

Save for the I2 and keep the P4P

Sell the P4P and get the I2

Just keep the P4P and dont worry about the I2

Sell some body parts and get an Alta 8 with a Hasselbad on it

EDIT: So I have decided that the I2 may not be the best for me. If I want to film with movies and stuff like that, I am going to have to join a Union and the local one for me is $12,000.

So if I want to just have a drone to make some extra money, and WOW someone, I may just do an Inspire 1 with the zoom camera to do inspection work. I also registered to bid on government contract jobs, but that may be a little ambitious. :D

Last edited:
I had at one time the P3P, I1P and the I2P. I realized how much I liked my I2P I sold my P3P and I1P.

Then I realized that if I didn’t have something cheaper I would be putting too much time on my I2P.

Decided to try the Mavic Pro and haven’t looked back.

In other words you need a model that you can take through the ringers without putting the unnecessary time , stress on your main ship.

I had at one time the P3P, I1P and the I2P. I realized how much I liked my I2P I sold my P3P and I1P.

Then I realized that if I didn’t have something cheaper I would be putting too much time on my I2P.

Decided to try the Mavic Pro and haven’t looked back.

In other words you need a model that you can take through the ringers without putting the unnecessary time , stress on your main ship.
What do you mean by time and stress? I dont fly my drones daily and even so, by the time the batteries died, it would be time for a new drone.

I dont think drones have a half life.

By some cheap glasses, put a decal of the Alta on the glass and say, "here wear these." Customer is wowed and you have a pocket of money.

I on the other hand bought the I2, kept the P4P.

Drones are like Barbie's sooner or later you will spring for the Malibu beach house.

Reactions: Advexure
First off look into the future of what you are going to do with your company. Are you going to specialize in just photography and videography and nothing else like power line inspections or working for the local police department. If so go with the i2. It’s what that drone is geared towards. I wouldn’t sell what you have now to get it unless you have a job that comes up that you absolutely need it and the profit from that job better be enough to buy you another p4p or close to it. Wait a bit longer and the price of the i2 will come down even more along with its cameras besides whatever camera comes out next to put on it. That’s just my 2 cents.

Inspire 2 with X5S camera (body only) and 2, perhaps 3 lenses will provide all you'll ever possibly need on job site. But keep your P4P as a backup.

Reactions: Fly Gary
@Cross Aerial Photography, You have received some good info in this post. To add to that many people prefer to have as a backup an identical copter as their primary use copter, sharing identical components is a convenient resource. Whether it be 2 P4P's, 2 Inspire 2's, same chargers, same batteries, same cameras, same quality etc.

Maybe try to get a few more paying jobs and save for the I2, you can also trade in your well cared for P4P package towards an Inspire 2 package. What body part are you willing to give up for the Alta and the Hasselblad :)

Let us know if we can help with your decision.

By some cheap glasses, put a decal of the Alta on the glass and say, "here wear these." Customer is wowed and you have a pocket of money.

I on the other hand bought the I2, kept the P4P.

Drones are like Barbie's sooner or later you will spring for the Malibu beach house.

Heck with my vision, every drone looks like an Alta in the air. If I do your idea, when the drone disappears from them taking off the glasses, I can just say I enabled its Active Camouflage. :D

First off look into the future of what you are going to do with your company. Are you going to specialize in just photography and videography and nothing else like power line inspections or working for the local police department. If so go with the i2. It’s what that drone is geared towards. I wouldn’t sell what you have now to get it unless you have a job that comes up that you absolutely need it and the profit from that job better be enough to buy you another p4p or close to it. Wait a bit longer and the price of the i2 will come down even more along with its cameras besides whatever camera comes out next to put on it. That’s just my 2 cents.
You actually hit on a on rabbit hole that I explored earlier this year. What is the next level: Advancing drone business

So far, I do ZERO inspection work. The path to get into that market is not clear so I have no idea how to approach it. I learn for the I2 because I have worked with a couple small film companies and really like the more cinematic side of drone work versus the inspection. HOWEVER, I am not opposed to getting into the industry side. It seems though that the I2 and industry/cinema jobs go hand in hand. Currently, I have no clients in that market, but I think thats because I dont have the equipment they need. It feels like these two go hand in hand. Yes, for my current line of work, the I2 is WAY more drone than I need. But if I get it, then maybe down the road I can get some higher level jobs.

Inspire 2 with X5S camera (body only) and 2, perhaps 3 lenses will provide all you'll ever possibly need on job site. But keep your P4P as a backup.

That is the end goal so far. I use a Lumix Gh5 with a gimbal system so my lenses can transfer from my drone to my camera.

@Cross Aerial Photography, You have received some good info in this post. To add to that many people prefer to have as a backup an identical copter as their primary use copter, sharing identical components is a convenient resource. Whether it be 2 P4P's, 2 Inspire 2's, same chargers, same batteries, same cameras, same quality etc.

Maybe try to get a few more paying jobs and save for the I2, you can also trade in your well cared for P4P package towards an Inspire 2 package. What body part are you willing to give up for the Alta and the Hasselblad :)

Let us know if we can help with your decision.

I touched on this briefly up above. In my market, it just seems like people view me as a kid with a toy (despite the age difference of me and what most consider a kid). The Phantom 4 Pro is pretty much more than anyone needs. Now yes for movies, you need the ability to change lenses. But for most consumer marketing, the P4P is overkill. But people want to be lavished. So showing up with some massive drone with a big props and stuff makes them feel warm and fuzzy.

Awhile back, I was gonna shoot a housing complex commercial and when I showed my equipment, the owner said "I have that drone, Ill just use mine." He had some Chinese phantom knock off and used that, despite me telling him the work was illegal, and the final product was shot at 720p 24fps and was incredibly jerky. But because my drone is something "small" that little Tommy down the street owns, that makes them the same.

I find myself wanting to sell the Phantom and get the I2, but have this feeling that I want to keep it just in case. But, me not having the I2 is stopping me from getting clients. So really, Im kinda stuck.

Unfortunately size does matter in this industry for a lot of the clients. The phantom series has become kinda a household name. Most everybody has heard of one and has seen one and they all look the same. So make yours look different than the rest. Even changing the color from white to a flat black or some other color will help people not group it into the same category as the rest and they will be more inquisitive about what it actually is or can do. If they ask what it is don’t say it’s a phantom,just tell them it’s a 4 pro or a p4p. Inspires do draw clients in there’s no doubt about that and since everybody and their brother doesn’t have one they are looked at by the general public as a more professional platform instead of as a toy. I guess my question to you is why do you need 4K at 60fps? Do you film a lot of action sports as car racing and stuff of that nature? Don’t get me wrong I’d definitely like to have 4K 60 on my i1 at times especially at the drag strip but other than that I can get by with 4k30. Just need to be slower and smoother. If you where planing on getting into the industrial side of it in the future I’d say just get an i1 for now with the x5 then can get thermal for it later. I1 prices are quite reasonable right now so with about the same amount of money you would have into an i2 with selling your p4p you could keep your p4p and get an i1. If you needed the 4k60 you would have it still, if you need to wow a client pull out the i1. Wait a year for the prices to come down on the i2 and who knows there may be a better bird out for you by then. Just some things to think about.

Unfortunately size does matter in this industry for a lot of the clients. The phantom series has become kinda a household name. Most everybody has heard of one and has seen one and they all look the same. So make yours look different than the rest. Even changing the color from white to a flat black or some other color will help people not group it into the same category as the rest and they will be more inquisitive about what it actually is or can do. If they ask what it is don’t say it’s a phantom,just tell them it’s a 4 pro or a p4p. Inspires do draw clients in there’s no doubt about that and since everybody and their brother doesn’t have one they are looked at by the general public as a more professional platform instead of as a toy. I guess my question to you is why do you need 4K at 60fps? Do you film a lot of action sports as car racing and stuff of that nature? Don’t get me wrong I’d definitely like to have 4K 60 on my i1 at times especially at the drag strip but other than that I can get by with 4k30. Just need to be slower and smoother. If you where planing on getting into the industrial side of it in the future I’d say just get an i1 for now with the x5 then can get thermal for it later. I1 prices are quite reasonable right now so with about the same amount of money you would have into an i2 with selling your p4p you could keep your p4p and get an i1. If you needed the 4k60 you would have it still, if you need to wow a client pull out the i1. Wait a year for the prices to come down on the i2 and who knows there may be a better bird out for you by then. Just some things to think about.
I need the 4k 60 because of YouTube and their bitrate. If you give YouTube a 4k 60fps video, they grant you a really high bitrate. I thought about buying a broken I1 just for presentations. For me and my work, the I1 really wouldnt be an upgrade.

The parts of this that haven't been touched are related to this being a "real" business for you. If you have revenue coming in and can support yourself with the P4P then the real option should be the Inspire 2 with X7. The reasons being this: You can borrow money for this purchase and deduct it from your operating expenses; you can depreciate the equipment over time on your operating expenses; it would give you the best operational equipment and platform available to mortal humans; if an Inspire 1 impresses then an Inspire 2 with X7 and a full set of lenses blows their minds. If this is really your gig, go big or go home...

Reactions: utcinema
I need the 4k 60 because of YouTube and their bitrate. If you give YouTube a 4k 60fps video, they grant you a really high bitrate. I thought about buying a broken I1 just for presentations. For me and my work, the I1 really wouldnt be an upgrade.
Gotcha. No it wouldn’t be any kind of upgrade at all to what you’re doing now besides being able to have zoom. Well there’s debate on photos out of a x5 and a p4p which ones better, yes more meg on the p4p but the pix size is larger than the x5. A broken one that went for a swim is always an option.

The parts of this that haven't been touched are related to this being a "real" business for you. If you have revenue coming in and can support yourself with the P4P then the real option should be the Inspire 2 with X7. The reasons being this: You can borrow money for this purchase and deduct it from your operating expenses; you can depreciate the equipment over time on your operating expenses; it would give you the best operational equipment and platform available to mortal humans; if an Inspire 1 impresses then an Inspire 2 with X7 and a full set of lenses blows their minds. If this is really your gig, go big or go home...
Well "real" I guess is subjective. I have been blessed and made more money then most people my age. My only limiting factor is the IRS since I am still under my parents health insurance, they must cover 51% of my living cost. As I make more money, I start making their contributions smaller and smaller.

Now, when it comes to deductions and all that, I get lost. I have tried to learn it but I just get swamped in it. And yes, I have thought about borrowing the money since I have enough to put atleast half down on the drone, and could always sell it if it didnt work out to pay off the rest. The total cost of ownership on these drones isnt that bad. My Mavic only costed me $200 to own, and made me $900.

Reactions: Dr. Ifly Drones
The "wow" factor, client expectations and other arguments aside, there's one aspect of using Inspire size aircraft for aerial filming not mentioned here: footage stability. Yes, P4P can deliver amazing image quality, but when it comes down to filming an longer, orchestrated sequence it sucks. The mass of an camera platform is what provides truly cinematic, smooth movements. So, it's not only about look ...

Well "real" I guess is subjective. I have been blessed and made more money then most people my age. My only limiting factor is the IRS since I am still under my parents health insurance, they must cover 51% of my living cost. As I make more money, I start making their contributions smaller and smaller.

Now, when it comes to deductions and all that, I get lost. I have tried to learn it but I just get swamped in it. And yes, I have thought about borrowing the money since I have enough to put atleast half down on the drone, and could always sell it if it didnt work out to pay off the rest. The total cost of ownership on these drones isnt that bad. My Mavic only costed me $200 to own, and made me $900.
I completely understand your situation now. Still, if it's what you want to do why not talk to your folks and make a stab at it. Form an LLC, get a business license, insurance and make it real. Nothing motivates you like being in debt and all on your own ;)

I completely understand your situation now. Still, if it's what you want to do why not talk to your folks and make a stab at it. Form an LLC, get a business license, insurance and make it real. Nothing motivates you like being in debt and all on your own ;)
I am already an LLC and dont have to have a business license for my area. As for the insurance, I just use the one you see talked about (cant remember the name) and all my drones are insured via State Farm.

I updated the first post to reflect some new idea I had, but I will post it here too.

EDIT: So I have decided that the I2 may not be the best for me. If I want to film with movies and stuff like that, I am going to have to join a Union and the local one for me is $12,000.

So if I want to just have a drone to make some extra money, and WOW someone, I may just do an Inspire 1 with the zoom camera to do inspection work. I also registered to bid on government contract jobs, but that may be a little ambitious. :D

So what do yall think? I want to throw a thermal on it, but that seems to be an extra $6,000 :eek:

So what do yall think?
I can't help, but I must throw a small bucket of icy cold water over your head. You're dreaming about wowing a movie industry or wind turbines industry with your equipment? That may happen down the road you're about to pick up, but this is a long and winding road. If you're lucky you may succeed one day getting your foot in the door. Your toolbox, however, must be at least $75K heavy, with a fleet of Matrice class drones, RED cameras and so on. Don't get me wrong, please, I wish you all the best.

For now, however, get the mighty (black, means professional) Inspire 2 with X5S camera and start knocking on the doors :) ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Manashiroy