Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Hi from Cornwall, UK

Reaction score
I have been flying a phantom 3 standard for about 18mths now and decided to take the plunge and get an Inspire 1. Looking forward to getting it in the air and find out what its capable of and getting hints and tips from this great forum.

I like to film the coastline where I live and sailing / windsurfing / paddle boarding. The phantom struggled in moderate wind and I'm hoping the inspire will be more suitable.

Last edited:
I have been flying a phantom 3 standard for about 18mths now and decided to take the plunge and get an Inspire 1. Looking forward to getting it in the air and find out what its capable of and getting hints and tips from this great forum.

I like to film the coastline where I live and sailing / windsurfing / paddle boarding. The phantom struggled in moderate wind and I'm hoping the inspire will be more suitable.

Hi I live in North East Scotland (Aberdeenshire) welcome to the forum. The I1 is perfect for the tasks you have stated and handles moderate wind with ease. I have both the Inspire 1 & 2 and regularly photograph our beautiful coastline and small fishing villages. I have to admit it took a bit of courage to push her out over the water, doesn't phase me at all now. This forum is a great source of information and help if needed. Enjoy ur bird and share ur videos.
All the best

Les

Reactions: bilks10
Welcome aboard. I had the Inspire 1 (now the inspire 2) and both are extremely capable in the wind (despite the DJI Go app pushing up constant high wind warnings which gets rather annoying).

As Les said, it takes some confidence to push it out over the water, especially in the winds and you obviously need to be conscious of your batteries if heading down wind when it is strong to ensure you can get back! However, the Inspires have plenty of power to fight the wind and you will probably barely notice it.

Good luck.
James

Reactions: bilks10
Welcome aboard. I had the Inspire 1 (now the inspire 2) and both are extremely capable in the wind (despite the DJI Go app pushing up constant high wind warnings which gets rather annoying).

As Les said, it takes some confidence to push it out over the water, especially in the winds and you obviously need to be conscious of your batteries if heading down wind when it is strong to ensure you can get back! However, the Inspires have plenty of power to fight the wind and you will probably barely notice it.

Good luck.
James

Thanks James

Can't wait to get it in the air, I'll post some pics/ footage uploaded soon.

all the best

Chris

Hi I live in North East Scotland (Aberdeenshire) welcome to the forum. The I1 is perfect for the tasks you have stated and handles moderate wind with ease. I have both the Inspire 1 & 2 and regularly photograph our beautiful coastline and small fishing villages. I have to admit it took a bit of courage to push her out over the water, doesn't phase me at all now. This forum is a great source of information and help if needed. Enjoy ur bird and share ur videos.
All the best

Les

Thanks Les

all the best

Chris

All the best

Les
Thanks Les

all the best

Chris

Well that didn't quite work out the way I had hoped. Never crashed the phantom but second flight with the Inspire and bang:-(

Attachments

• IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 26
Thanks James

all the best

Chris

Well that didn't quite work out the way I had hoped. Never crashed the phantom but second flight with the Inspire and bang:-(

Attachments

• IMG_2960.JPG
    IMG_2960.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 20

OMG what happened? Not the type of picture I was hoping you would post. Let us have some details.

Les

Well I was flying in a place that I have been to many times with the phantom (thought it would be a good idea to go somewhere familiar to try it out properly). I flew into this cove as I have done many times before although I was slightly lower than normal. The camera image became over exposed so that I couldn't see anything on the screen. This is where it all went wrong and I didn't do what I would have normally done (stop, change to map view check orientation etc. visual check then manoeuvre). Being slightly lower it was now behind a stack just away from the cliff face. I stupidly just tried to reverse out having not checked the orientation thus hitting the cliff and descending 30 odd metres to a rocky surface. I have not even had a near miss with the cheap phantom but second outing with the inspire and disaster. Expensive mistake never to be repeated.
Looking at the cost of the spare parts I think its going to be cheaper to get another second hand unit and keep my remaining bits as spares.

I suspect you are right, cheaper to buy another I1 since there are loads on eBay and keep yours for spares or sell what is salvageable.

Not that you want to hear this, but keeping it in clear visual line of sight (sounds like it may not have been) would significantly reduce the chance of such a crash (and is a legal requirement).

Good luck with getting up and running again quickly!

I suspect you are right, cheaper to buy another I1 since there are loads on eBay and keep yours for spares or sell what is salvageable.

Not that you want to hear this, but keeping it in clear visual line of sight (sounds like it may not have been) would significantly reduce the chance of such a crash (and is a legal requirement).

Good luck with getting up and running again quickly!

Hi
I normally do keep line of sight, its just on this occasion I flew into the cove a little lower than normal and ended up behind the stack instead of above it.

I will fly my phantom again for a while until the right one comes along.

Cheers

Chris

Sorry about the accident...hope you find yourself a good value on a new one (or used). One option not always considered in this scenario is purchasing just the aircraft only. Since you likely do not need a new remote controller, battery, charger, etc you can replace just the aircraft by itself. Its the least expensive way to get a brand new aircraft up flying. They are not always stocked, but your local DJI dealer could probably get you one fairly quickly. Best of luck with the next one....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jenuk