Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Highly unstable after switching modes

One other thing I has occurred to me. If you are flying the Inspire 1 commercially, and it crashes causing damage to property etc and it is discovered that a calibration hasn't been done as per manufacturer guidelines, this could cause a big issue. Which is concerning if doing more calibrations than necessary could actually cause an incident!

Yes, there are local disturbances, and then the planet wide variation (US term.)

We calibrate out of the effect of any local fields, and then avoid flying into any predictable disturbances around us. Generally in flight you will be clear of a local disturbance, so the only real problem is a calibration in an area that is affected with a local disturbance. You'll be fine while flying in the disturbance, but as soon as you leave is the Inspire sees the field changes as changes in it's heading and "corrects." Creating the Toilet bowl flight pattern - chasing its heading.

This page has a great video of what the unit "sees" during a calibration.

http://theboredengineers.com/category/diy/quadri/

calibration hasn't been done as per manufacturer guidelines

It would be up to the operator to assess the local conditions and determine if it is safe to calibrate, or indeed safe to operate.

Calibrating doesn't cause the error. Incorrectly calibrating causes the error.

Someday somebody will build a system that is more resilient, and fault tolerant, but for now this is what we have to work with. The good news is that we can fall back on Atti mode and recover the aircraft.

I see a lot of press about new drones coming that have little or no manual back-up control, they are flown with a smart phone or hand gestures. I can only imagine how that is going to work out.

Reactions: BroxAg
Why not take a compass with you get a magnetic north reading mark it on the ground. Boot up everything then place the nose of th ac along the line drawn and see if it matches up with the display map/compas/radar etc on your viewer. Just an idea.

There is a certain way of conducting yourself on a forum of this nature. Inquisitive-Yes, aggressive-No. We are all trying to enjoy and get the most out of this relatively new industry/hobby/job (hopefully). Proper sharing of information is what makes this place work, no need, or place for poor behaviour. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
This site has been a great information resource for me, let's keep it a place where people want to share.....on that note I will put my pulpit away and go for a sit down in the vestry

There is a certain way of conducting yourself on a forum of this nature. Inquisitive-Yes, aggressive-No. We are all trying to enjoy and get the most out of this relatively new industry/hobby/job (hopefully). Proper sharing of information is what makes this place work, no need, or place for poor behaviour. You never get a second chance to make a first impression.
This site has been a great information resource for me, let's keep it a place where people want to share.....on that note I will put my pulpit away and go for a sit down in the vestry
Advice that many people on the BNUC FaceBook group should take! Very aggressive behaviour on there :(

The problem with doing a calibration every time is, as others have stated before, sooner or later you do a calibration over some buried metal or cables. It will calibrate fine but, when you take off the metal will no longer have an influence on those settings and it will have a completely different reference causing strange movements even crashes. When you have a calibration that works, don't do another unless you've move, again as others have stated, a hundred miles.
Just make sure your values are in range and you'll be good

and thats why you should check your compass values and gyro values before each flight ...there is no reason to do a compass calibration every time you fly the only time i do a calibration is if i haven't flown for a month or more, traveled more than 100 miles from my last compass calibration location,or if my values are off when doing my pre-flight check. i never had any kind of problem following those easy steps. remember you can't just turn these things on and start flying (you be surprised how many people i see do that) do your due diligence and know your craft before taking to the skies there is more than enough information on-line to be able to operate your inspire safely and responsibly
happy flying!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RuslanmuG