Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I would like to see a Pro forum. And what about the rules?

Reaction score
Sorry for being so frank....
I might get seriously bashed for this (hmm)

I was just wondering, shouldn't it be a decent forum community behaviour to discourage people from braking the law or flying unsafe?

I can't find any rules about this in the community guidelines.

And could it be possible to have a new forum specifically for commercial pilots (or people seriously thinking about becoming one)? More and more forum members here are (upcoming) pro's.

We have a different kind of discussion (often) among pro's and right now I see things get messed up. My perspective is first and foremost from professional use and I get mixed up in discussions with people just flying for fun, which is absolutely fine but it often leads to endless discussion about what's legal and safe or not.
I just have a hard time un or dis mixing, that's all.

At least if there was a pro forum people can expect to get the obvious answers if they ask us how they can fly higher, further or without no fly zone restrictions. And they would probably let us (not trying to be elite or anything) in peace, without the need to debate over operational procedures no amateur would ever want to follow.

Any thoughts? It's open for a fair debate. Please let's keep this clean. :)

There is a lot going for your idea in principal, a nightmare for admins though..
Perhaps if we the community bring these posts where members are discussing ways to fly illegally or unsafely to the attention of admins and those admins take a hard line on them (delete and warn) it could be workable?
I agree with you though and if these individuals that think it is okay to ignore or circumvent the rules of the FAA and the CAA (to name just two) are allowed to go on doing so, the inevitable consequence will be that we will all suffer from the new legislation that will be introduced to outlaw them.
I suspect though it is only a matter of time before a license will be required to fly a drone, just like a license is required to drive a car!

Reactions: Scotflieger
What would be the criteria for being a pro? Simply because you follow the guidelines when flying? I'm asking because a "still" photographer, this debate is raised all the time and so the question really becomes this, if there is no special licensing (yet) for drone pilots the label of professional is very subjective as there is no demarcation line.

Another question is - if the plan is to segregate yourself from us new pilots. Then where do you expect us to learn and get tips and advice from?

I would fully support new Pro and Fun sections within InspirePilots. There may be a need for US/FAA, UK/CAA and Others sub-section to deal with the differing regulatory regimes. It would be wrong to make these sections exclusive but strong moderating will be needed to remove unhelpful inputs.

Having completed training and qualified as Remote Pilot or those holding a FAA/CAA/Other commercial permissions/exemptions provides a valuable knowledge base to answer valid questions from others wishing to go this route. I too have been drawn into pointless discussions with members who don't trust their government or the need for rules or, dare I say, possess common-sense. I have learned not to get involved with certain topics/individuals.

There is a lot of good information on this which I believe is one of the best and well-informed forums supporting our chosen RPA. I believe that new pilots (and the more experienced) can learn a lot from each other.

Reactions: Aviator
Are you trying to put us moderators into an early grave :p

Think we discussed this before - I'm up for it, but I would not want it to deteriorate into a 'them and us' sectional divide etc. It would need careful thinking about/moderation.

Copied and pasted from my post..
"Perhaps if we the community bring these posts where members are discussing ways to fly illegally or unsafely to the attention of admins and those admins take a hard line on them (delete and warn) it could be workable?"
Could this work @The Editor?

......there is no special licensing (yet) for drone pilots the label of professional is very subjective as there is no demarcation line.
There is in the UK - CAA grants the permissions provided all the relevant criteria have been met and an acrediting body has recommended certification is granted.
The US is coming online now with 333 exemption and Austrailia and other countries have similar set ups in differing stages of development.

I would see a 'pro' section (for want of a better word) being an area where those of us who are qualified share experiences or ask advice in overcoming obstacles for jobs that involve complex risk assessments or ways to approach an otherwise non CAP722 compliant mission. By having individuals who understand the same restraints and rules that we must fly under means that others can look at a problem with a fresh set of eyes and maybe come up with a solution where the original poster was unable to see a way of taking on the task and staying within articles 166/167.

There would be nothing to preclude non certified individuals from reading or posting in the section, it would just mean if there were non-relevant posts they would be deleted rather than let a thread deteriorate.

Just some thoughts...................

"Perhaps if we the community bring these posts where members are discussing ways to fly illegally or unsafely to the attention of admins and those admins take a hard line on them (delete and warn) it could be workable?"

I think it could...... I will discuss with the other mods

There is a lot going for your idea in principal, a nightmare for admins though..
Perhaps if we the community bring these posts where members are discussing ways to fly illegally or unsafely to the attention of admins and those admins take a hard line on them (delete and warn) it could be workable?
I agree with you though and if these individuals that think it is okay to ignore or circumvent the rules of the FAA and the CAA (to name just two) are allowed to go on doing so, the inevitable consequence will be that we will all suffer from the new legislation that will be introduced to outlaw them.
I suspect though it is only a matter of time before a license will be required to fly a drone, just like a license is required to drive a car!
Thanks for replying.
Yes inevitably. In the Netherlands (if the law passes) soon everything over 1 kg will need to be officially certified and is only allowed to be operated by a certified pilot.

I agree that a stricter set of forum rules could help al lot.

There is in the UK - CAA grants the permissions provided all the relevant criteria have been met and an acrediting body has recommended certification is granted.
The US is coming online now with 333 exemption and Austrailia and other countries have similar set ups in differing stages of development.

I would see a 'pro' section (for want of a better word) being an area where those of us who are qualified share experiences or ask advice in overcoming obstacles for jobs that involve complex risk assessments or ways to approach an otherwise non CAP722 compliant mission. By having individuals who understand the same restraints and rules that we must fly under means that others can look at a problem with a fresh set of eyes and maybe come up with a solution where the original poster was unable to see a way of taking on the task and staying within articles 166/167.

There would be nothing to preclude non certified individuals from reading or posting in the section, it would just mean if there were non-relevant posts they would be deleted rather than let a thread deteriorate.

Just some thoughts...................
exactly how I meant it! Thanks for making it even clearer. I'm struggling in a foreign language, however I love the english wealthy vocabulary.

I believe in free speech legal or not...
that is a ground rule we all should respect. Always.
But I never asked for shutting up people. Nor should anyone be shut up who wants to give the advice to keep it legal and safe for the sake of the whole community and this industry sector as a whole.
I just don't want to get into a discussion I don't want, simply because I expected the poster to be a fellow bread and butter flyer but turns out to be a hobbyist. The discussions are pointless if it's not clear beforehand that we I have a totally different perspective.

I just wish there was a better word than hobbyist or amateur. There probably is. Pro isn't the right word as well. But with my crappy knowledge of english I just have to do with those. I was an amateur and a incredible hobbyist myself 'once' as well. Here me, I make it sound like ages.

that is a ground rule we all should respect. Always.
But I never asked for shutting up people. Nor should anyone be shut up who wants to give the advice to keep it legal and safe for the sake of the whole community and this industry sector as a whole.
I just don't want to get into a discussion I don't want, simply because I expected the poster to be a fellow bread and butter flyer but turns out to be a hobbyist. The discussions are pointless if it's not clear beforehand that we I have a totally different perspective.

I just wish there was a better word than hobbyist or amateur. There probably is. Pro isn't the right word as well. But with my crappy knowledge of english I just have to do with those. I was an amateur and a incredible hobbyist myself 'once' as well. Here me, I make it sound like ages.
Personally I think it's good to have an open forum because the hobbyist can learn from the professional and vise versa..
as you become more fimilar with the pilots on this site you will see who has similar topic interest and can participate in those threads...
I get that English isn't your first language and you want to reduce the amount of time you spend reading post that don't pertain to your interest...that's cool...
it did come off as a little elitist to me and but maybe because at this point I'm a hobbiest and not a licensed chopper ,airplane or drone pilot ..

Reactions: LockMD
Sorry for being so frank....
I might get seriously bashed for this (hmm)

I was just wondering, shouldn't it be a decent forum community behaviour to discourage people from braking the law or flying unsafe?

I can't find any rules about this in the community guidelines.

And could it be possible to have a new forum specifically for commercial pilots (or people seriously thinking about becoming one)? More and more forum members here are (upcoming) pro's.

We have a different kind of discussion (often) among pro's and right now I see things get messed up. My perspective is first and foremost from professional use and I get mixed up in discussions with people just flying for fun, which is absolutely fine but it often leads to endless discussion about what's legal and safe or not.
I just have a hard time un or dis mixing, that's all.

At least if there was a pro forum people can expect to get the obvious answers if they ask us how they can fly higher, further or without no fly zone restrictions. And they would probably let us (not trying to be elite or anything) in peace, without the need to debate over operational procedures no amateur would ever want to follow.

Any thoughts? It's open for a fair debate. Please let's keep this clean. :)

Not to knock your idea, but Good and Bad Idea. You are aware this is a "PUBLIC FORUM" and forums thrive on social interaction. Go ahead and give it a whirl, when you start classifying, bragging, and profiling, well I sure as hell know where this is going. Line up sheep, the Wolves are the better animal[emoji6]! How about just interacting via text, privately, or is this just another STATUS of hey look at me, IM A PRO!! REALLY??Remember, forums are public domains for discussions, fun, and education. NAZI's! I'm not one for standing up for the masses, I'm not political or do I feel obligated to discuss my findings or feelings naturally. Sometimes it's just for the sake of getting a feel for things, RIGHT or WRONG, you catch and see the angles.. Either way, Good Luck! One thing is for sure, once you make it public, you can't take it back[emoji6]!

Reactions: Lucan
Personally I think it's good to have an open forum because the hobbyist can learn from the professional and vise versa..
as you become more fimilar with the pilots on this site you will see who has similar topic interest and can participate in those threads...
I get that English isn't your first language and you want to reduce the amount of time you spend reading post that don't pertain to your interest...that's cool...
it did come off as a little elitist to me and but maybe because at this point I'm a hobbiest and not a licensed chopper ,airplane or drone pilot ..

That's why I wrote: (not trying to be elite or anything)
I was actually hoping that I was clear enough about that in my initial post.

This thread seems to have two separate goals: proposing a forum for commercial Inspire pilots ("bread and butter pilots" vs. "hobbyist"), and curtailing posts that suggest illegal or unsafe flying.

I think the term "commercial" is more appropriate for the proposed forum than "professional". For example, I consider myself a "serious amateur", and even though I may never get a 333 exemption, I try to fly legally, safely, courteously and professionally. I know that pilots who go through the hassle of a 333 exemption (or other country-specific certification) have a whole set of procedures, rules, regulations, etc. they have to deal with above the basic FAA hobbyist rules. Sure, an invitation-only forum for those commercial pilots to try to keep the discussion(s) within that realm would be useful to them, although I hope we all get to read it.

On the other goal, I seriously hope that posts suggesting things that are illegal, unsafe or just plain stupid are not deleted. I'd much rather they were clearly identified as such than be censored. One of the real values of "freedom of speech" is that I hear a lot of things that I can disagree with and choose not to follow or emulate them. I'd rather be aware of these ideas and make my own (hopefully) intelligent decisions than be ignorant of them through censorship.

The thread on disabling the GPS to fly in a no-fly zone is a classic example. Reading about the options (tinfoil hat and unplugging the GPS module), my thoughts were "Huh, that's interesting and potentially useful if I'm ever in a situation where I'm legally able or required to fly in a no-fly zone." A professional pilot with control tower authorization to film around an airport is the obvious example, and being able to intelligently, legally and safely override the DJI-enforced no-fly zones is valid, IMO.

As always, just my opinion.

mTp

Last edited:
Not to knock your idea, but Good and Bad Idea. You are aware this is a "PUBLIC FORUM" and forums thrive on social interaction. Go ahead and give it a whirl, when you start classifying, bragging, and profiling, well I sure as hell know where this is going. Line up sheep, the Wolves are the better animal[emoji6]! How about just interacting via text, privately, or is this just another STATUS of hey look at me, IM A PRO!! REALLY??Remember, forums are public domains for discussions, fun, and education. NAZI's! I'm not one for standing up for the masses, I'm not political or do I feel obligated to discuss my findings or feelings naturally. Sometimes it's just for the sake of getting a feel for things, RIGHT or WRONG, you catch and see the angles.. Either way, Good Luck! One thing is for sure, once you make it public, you can't take it back[emoji6]!

Classifying, bragging, lining up sheep against wolves, come on. I never even touched the idea of that. It never crossed my mind people could understand me like that.
Thanks for warning me how my words can be twisted.

A 'pro forum section' wouldn't be locked for others, at least I never said anything about that. I think it would even be a worthy source for anyone who wants to make the step towards commercial flying.

Quote: or is this just another STATUS of hey look at me, IM A PRO!! REALLY??
I really don't care anymore about status. I had enough in my former career, thank you.

This thread seems to have two separate goals: proposing a forum for commercial Inspire pilots ("bread and butter pilots" vs. "hobbyist"), and curtailing posts that suggest illegal or unsafe flying.

I think the term "commercial" is more appropriate for the proposed forum than "professional". For example, I consider myself a "serious amateur", and even though I may never get a 333 exemption, I try to fly legally, safely, courteously and professionally. I know that pilots who go through the hassle of a 333 exemption (or other country-specific certification) have a whole set of procedures, rules, regulations, etc. they have to deal with above the basic FAA hobbyist rules. Sure, an invitation-only forum for those commercial pilots to try to keep the discussion(s) with that realm would be useful to them, although I hope we all get to read it.

On the other goal, I seriously hope that posts suggesting things that are illegal, unsafe or just plain stupid are not deleted. I'd much rather they were clearly identified as such than be censored. One of the real values of "freedom of speech" is that I hear a lot of things that I can disagree with and choose not to follow or emulate them. I'd rather be aware of these ideas and make my own (hopefully) intelligent decisions than be ignorant of them through censorship.

The thread on disabling the GPS to fly in a no-fly zone is a classic example. Reading about the options (tinfoil hat and unpluging the GPS module), my thoughts were "Huh, that's interesting and potentially useful if I'm ever in a situation where I'm legally able or required to fly in a no-fly zone." A professional pilot with control tower authorization to film around an airport is the obvious example, and being able to intelligently, legally and safely override the DJI-enforced no-fly zones is valid, IMO.

As always, just my opinion.

mTp
Constructive and valuable!
I would never want to impose censorship. I would like to discuss anything open as long as it's a common policy to inform and advise what's right.
A pro section would not have to be invitation only, never suggested that. Open for everyone, just like the other forums here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop