Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

I2 remote ID

Reaction score
Curious what my fellow US-based I2 owners are planning to use for Remote ID? Not a lot of options so far, but maybe I'm missing some products out there?

THIS POST I HAD MADE IN MAVIC FORUM.
I use on my Matrice 200 series

I use the DroneBeacon DB120 self contained unit on my Matrice 200 and my other drones that are no longer complient. I took minutes to get up and running and is well worth ther 130 USD price. Some photos with the DB120 on our GoPro adaptor.

We have GoPro style mounts for the DroneTag and the DroneBeacon DB120 on our eBay store Security Measure

Photo is on my old Yuneec H series however, works on all our mounts.

Our ad is on Mavic Pilots now and will be on Inspire,Yuneec and Parrot shortly

Attachments​

• 20230514_111146.jpg
    20230514_111146.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230514_105220.jpg
    20230514_105220.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230514_135507.jpg
    20230514_135507.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230515_151225.jpg
There is no real setup to remoteID (which is just like a transponder in aircraft) the manfacture does that. You can login via a 192 ip range however, no need to just turn it on. Then run an app like OpenDroneID for Android (not sure if they have IOS) and you will see your ID on location map. Here is snap of mine on my Matrice . Very simple nothing to do. Eventually we will need to add to USA FAA registration we use for our plus 249gram drones.

Attachments​

• Screenshot_2023-05-18_092025.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-18_092025.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 17
The shot below has tracking on a short few hundred foot flight

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-16_094617.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-16_094617.jpg
    332.6 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Tom4Inspire2
THIS POST I HAD MADE IN MAVIC FORUM.
I use on my Matrice 200 series

I use the DroneBeacon DB120 self contained unit on my Matrice 200 and my other drones that are no longer complient. I took minutes to get up and running and is well worth ther 130 USD price. Some photos with the DB120 on our GoPro adaptor.

We have GoPro style mounts for the DroneTag and the DroneBeacon DB120 on our eBay store Security Measure

Photo is on my old Yuneec H series however, works on all our mounts.

Our ad is on Mavic Pilots now and will be on Inspire,Yuneec and Parrot shortly

Attachments​

• 20230514_111146.jpg
    20230514_111146.jpg
    843.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230514_105220.jpg
    20230514_105220.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 20230514_135507.jpg
    20230514_135507.jpg
    969.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230515_151225.jpg
There is no real setup to remoteID (which is just like a transponder in aircraft) the manfacture does that. You can login via a 192 ip range however, no need to just turn it on. Then run an app like OpenDroneID for Android (not sure if they have IOS) and you will see your ID on location map. Here is snap of mine on my Matrice . Very simple nothing to do. Eventually we will need to add to USA FAA registration we use for our plus 249gram drones.

Attachments​

• Screenshot_2023-05-18_092025.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-05-18_092025.jpg
    658.4 KB · Views: 17
To be compliant with the FAA ruling the drone has to be prevented from takeoff if the RID is not working. How do the third party units meet that requirement? Surely it would need to be programmed into the drone firmware. DJI has not implemented RID into its Inspire firmware yet.

This explains your requirements from Lucas post:

What is the difference between Standard Remote ID and broadcast module Remote ID? #

Standard Remote ID applies to drones with built-in Remote ID capabilities. Drones with this type of Remote ID will self-test before taking off to ensure that the Remote ID is active and functioning. If the test fails, the drone will not take off.

Remote ID broadcast module is a Remote ID capability through a device attached to a drone externally and is limited to Visual Line Of Sight (VLOS) operations. This type of Remote ID will self-test before taking off, and the person operating the flight controls of the drone has to make sure that the Remote ID broadcast module is functioning.

To be compliant with the FAA ruling the drone has to be prevented from takeoff if the RID is not working. How do the third party units meet that requirement? Surely it would need to be programmed into the drone firmware. DJI has not implemented RID into its Inspire firmware yet.
That's true for newly manufactured drones, but not for older drones with a RID module, ans Ironsky explained quite eloquently.

Reactions: ZCDC
That's true for newly manufactured drones, but not for older drones with a RID module, ans Ironsky explained quite eloquently.
Thanks Tom snd IronSky, I see that now in the FAA ruling. However it still looks like the add-on RID unit has to continuously monitor itself and notify the pilot during flight of any malfunction. How does it do that when it could likely be far enough away from the pilot that cellphone wifi/BT wouldn't work? Therefor does it still need to interface with the remote controller software.

Rule 89.115 (A.1.i below) states that an add-on RID unit must comply with rule 89.320 which talks about the continuous monitoring and notification requirement.

I would be interested to hear your thoughts or from anyone with an external RID to see how it satisfies this ruling.

Here's the rulings for reference.:

§ 89.115 Alternative remote identification.​

A person operating an unmanned aircraft that is not a standard remote identification unmanned aircraft may comply with the remote identification requirement of § 89.105 by meeting all of the requirements of either paragraph (a) or (b) of this section.

(a) Remote identification broadcast modules. Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, a person may operate an unmanned aircraft that is not a standard remote identification unmanned aircraft if all of the following conditions are met:
(1) Equipage.
(i) The unmanned aircraft used in the operation must be equipped with a remote identification broadcast module that meets the requirements of § 89.320 and the serial number of the remote identification broadcast module must be listed on an FAA-accepted declaration of compliance.

§ 89.320 Minimum performance requirements for remote identification broadcast modules.​

Remote identification broadcast modules must meet the following minimum performance requirements:

(a) Take-off location. The remote identification broadcast module must be capable of determining the take-off location of the unmanned aircraft.
(b) Time mark. The time mark message element must be synchronized with all other remote identification message elements.
(c) Self-testing and monitoring.
(1) Prior to take-off, the remote identification broadcast module must automatically test the remote identification functionality and notify the person manipulating the flight controls of the unmanned aircraft system of the result of the test.

(2) The remote identification broadcast module must continuously monitor the remote identification functionality from takeoff to shutdown and must provide notification of malfunction or failure to the person manipulating the flight controls of the unmanned aircraft system.

Thanks Tom snd IronSky, I see that now in the FAA ruling. However...

I plan to use a remote ID module that has a declaration of compliance that has been accepted by the FAA. That means the FAA certifies that my module meets all requirements. Problem solved.

Is it safe to assume that DJI will not be issuing a firmware update for compliance?

Really? I thought for sure at one point I recall seeing the remote ID toggle switch when connected via Go4. Maybe I am mistaken.

Really? I thought for sure at one point I recall seeing the remote ID toggle switch when connected via Go4. Maybe I am mistaken.
The toggle is there, but that doesn't mean the hardware is capable of being compliant. The remote ID option for the I2 on DJI Go predates the RID specifications by several years.

Word has it that the 9/16 effective date is being pushed back. A YouTube video I watched shared an email from the FAA saying there would be a more official announcement soon.

Holy Stone recently released a RID module for about $90...a much more affordable option than many modules out there averaging $200+. This item meets the FAA-approved RID list. It has a simple rectangular (1.54 in x 1.18 in x 0.5 in) box form factor smaller than a Zippo lighter and weighs 13.9 grams w/o velcro; but 14.3 grams with velcro. Not a weird shape like some others out there. I bought 2 of them; one for my Inspire 2 and the other for P4P.

Holy Stone Remote ID Module.jpg71lINqcNnqL_2.jpg

Last edited:
Holy Stone recently released a RID module for about $90...a much more affordable option than many modules out there averaging $200+. This item meets the FAA-approved RID list. It has a simple rectangular (1.54 in x 1.18 in x 0.5 in) box form factor smaller than a Zippo lighter and weighs 13.9 grams w/o velcro; but 14.3 grams with velcro. Not a weird shape like some others out there. I bought 2 of them; one for my Inspire 2 and the other for P4P.

View attachment 34063View attachment 34064
Is the Holy Stone remote ID module working well with your Inspire 2 ? I saw it on Amazon but got confused because in the drone compatibility list they only mention Holy Stone drones. So this made me think that in some way the remote ID broadcast module must be compatible with the drone. If you can let me know how has it worked for you so far with the I2 it would be helpful. Thank you!

Is the Holy Stone remote ID module working well with your Inspire 2 ? I saw it on Amazon but got confused because in the drone compatibility list they only mention Holy Stone drones. So this made me think that in some way the remote ID broadcast module must be compatible with the drone. If you can let me know how has it worked for you so far with the I2 it would be helpful. Thank you!
Yes, the HS Holy Stone RID modules work great on both drones. The module is a fully self-contained unit; all you do is assign it to a drone by programming it via the Holy Stone “Drone Go2” app. It is rechargeable via any USB-C connector. There is a RID number on the module itself that you will need to associate/update to your drone & registration for compliance. I’ve included a link to Alien Drone which breaks it down more. This channel gets direct updates from the FAA because he collaborates with the FAA’s actual “Drone Guy” & also the Pilot Institute on drone-related issues. You can also get a discount on the modules if you use his product link. Hope this helps.

-“Enjoy the skies & stay safe!”

Last edited:
The I2 lacks the hardware to enable RID via firmware. Third party modules will likely be the only solution.
My remote ID showed up today from Pierce Aerospace. Took awhile to get from order date (August 25) to delivery (11/22). But at least we now have something for the I2.

Attachments

• 20231122_183333.jpg
    20231122_183333.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
So I was on a job yesterday downloading zone unlocks, and prompt came up for a firmware update. The description said the update included support for remote ID in the US. I did not want to attempt an update in the field on a job, but wondered if anyone else has seen this or tried it?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElwoodLope