Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Ideas\suggestion how to anchor to the ground the i2.

Reaction score
Hello pilots!

I need to anchor to the ground the i2 (cause risk assessment & mitigation & reduce the buffer).

Thing is some of my colleague use a very expensive wired charge sistem+ combo flight terminator and I’m not looking for it although i posses a flight terminator only.

What I’m looking for it is a simpler system like a fishermen strong cable and a winch.
(will have a look into alpinism stores maybe)

anchor it anywhere, mostly I’m looking to anchor it to my motorcycle and use it as deadweight because with a car/truck takes too long to park and move around multiple streets//squares/cities.

i2 already solved my problems because we can swap lens.
so platform is ok and I do not want abandon it and move to a Mavic 2 with in my case doesn’t fit.

since my main aim is photography 100% of the times I really need its swap lenses versatility and easy to carry compared bigger drones.

Any hints/experiences?

Hello pilots!

I need to anchor to the ground the i2 (cause risk assessment & mitigation & reduce the buffer).
This is one of the craziest ideas I've heard ... Risk assessment? You're creating extremely dangerous setup where leashed drone will be fighting for freedom sooner or later. Expensive tethered powering systems may automatically compensate for attitude fluctuations, maintaining required tension. But freely dangling rope will collide with props in no time during launch or descent. Abandon this idea, please. What is the problem anyway? Inspire 2 is one of the most reliable platform ever developed.

This is one of the craziest ideas I've heard ... Risk assessment? You're creating extremely dangerous setup where leashed drone will be fighting for freedom sooner or later. Expensive tethered powering systems may automatically compensate for attitude fluctuations, maintaining required tension. But freely dangling rope will collide with props in no time during launch or descent. Abandon this idea, please. What is the problem anyway? Inspire 2 is one of the most reliable platform ever developed.
Sadly not In my country, it’s not recognized. So I neeed a buffer area in case of crash+Safe zone to land. With a flight terminator it will reduce its buffer area size, but with a cable will reduce even more like only 5m around me. Yea its difficult to fly over here with these rules.

Its pain in the *** for me own an i2 and not being able to fly In the cities. Otherwise I need lock whole area then make it safer to fly without cable.

Yea I know i2 will fight the cable also, but the other solution its fly with a smaller drone , but at this point doesn’t worth it. I’d like to see what’s gonna happen, we’re across swap of rules in Italy. Like ENAC to EASA,national to European.

That’s why most of the videos in Italy actually are illegall for a reason or two. Too strict rules.

It’s easier fly with an helicopter or a small airplane ...than a drone one example was the 007 movie in Matera..no one had a heavyweight drone, so they went for a chopper which was way more expensive.

Especially in Rome and Around Colosseum area which is between most sensible buildings and two airport as example.

But all I need it’s fly only a vertical path like 25-40 ft then landing. Not really much maneuvering and quite low.

Another reason which I don’t like cable it’s because I use large lenses... also inspire its just a quadcopter after all. One rotor down, aircraft down too.

I feel I’m getting crazy even if own at least 4-5 license I find out its difficult to fly alone that’s what I mean.

If you have a team it’s easier, but as photographer I don’t need really “a team” like they just watch only..

Last edited:
Sadly not In my country ...
Now I see what are you trying to achieve ... Basically a 25-50 ft high tripod standing in front of Coliseum to get yet another angle of this object photographed millions times before ...

Even if you successfully develop such system and test it somewhere in remote field, how are you going to execute the same in the middle of crowded places around the city? How are you going to persuade Inspire 2 to launch in geospatial No Fly Zone? How are you going to explain your activity to the army of Polizia di Stato, Carabinieri and security personel around? If your Inspire get tangled with the wire, she will fall into a 50 ft radius circle, harming a herd of tourists and onlookers. You'll make evening news for sure and the whole concept of drones even more difficult to regulate properly in Europe.

I understand the temptation ... You can get photographs at angles no one was able to shot before ...

Although development of device automatically adjusting wire lag is technically possible (i.e. tethering), I still can't see such operation carried in the middle of Venetian Rio Dei Giardinetti. Sorry ...

Last edited:
Reactions: rbycapri
Yea exactly I’m forced to take pictures around 5:00 6:00 am. Streets almost empty, no people around. And most important no airport activity even if I won’t fly high.
(sometimes best time its 12:00 pm you know...shadows..)

Actually I’m also a pilot certified and so on but I lack in experience as build up decent flying systems like a modded drone, used to fly with an old modded dji s1000 premium, but its too big to carry around.

I want to do it legally, or I won’t do it at all..actually if I make it a successful system as you said will give it a try with that “tripod”.

Will find a way I won’t give up that easily.

Also I appreciate a lot your answers, thanks [emoji120]

Last edited:
There are several 3rd party tripod mounts out for the I2. Using one of those for the I2 or using a DSLR/mirrorless camera mounted on to an extension pole would accomplish what you are trying to do. There are many versions out there, here is one example. This could easily be used in crowded conditions. An inexpensive Panasonic Lumix xxx would be able to use your existing lenses assuming you are using an X5S.

There are several 3rd party tripod mounts out for the I2. Using one of those for the I2 or using a DSLR/mirrorless camera mounted on to an extension pole would accomplish what you are trying to do. There are many versions out there, here is one example. This could easily be used in crowded conditions. An inexpensive Panasonic Lumix xxx would be able to use your existing lenses assuming you are using an X5S.

Yes that’s something I’ve already had it in consideration. Better a mini airship model at this point..still wondering about other solutions.

an extensible pole and a super wide fisheye lens doesn’t fit each other...like the circular 4.5mm o or 8mm circular not the ideal having a pole in the middle of the frame though.

Reactions: SanCap
I would think that lens may even catch part of the top of the I2 while flying?

Once you lift the legs,not really, this is the beta one. But you have to point it straight down.

I’m also using on ground a 8mm on a full frame sensor. So think about it in a square. Here in Italy it’s full of small squares that the point of using a drone

Reactions: SanCap
Once you lift the legs,not really, this is the beta one. But you have to point it straight down.

I’m also using on ground a 8mm on a full frame sensor. So think about it in a square. Here in Italy it’s full of small squares that the point of using a drone

I didn't realize you were pointing the camera 90° down. Good luck with your project.

Yea exactly I’m forced to take pictures around 5:00 6:00 am. Streets almost empty, no people around. And most important no airport activity even if I won’t fly high.
(sometimes best time its 12:00 pm you know...shadows..)

Actually I’m also a pilot certified and so on but I lack in experience as build up decent flying systems like a modded drone, used to fly with an old modded dji s1000 premium, but its too big to carry around.

I want to do it legally, or I won’t do it at all..actually if I make it a successful system as you said will give it a try with that “tripod”.

Will find a way I won’t give up that easily.

Also I appreciate a lot your answers, thanks [emoji120]
Yet there's another solution with far less hassle ... I've got excellent results shooting 3x3 panoramic images with much smaller, less visible and less obstructive Mavic 2 Pro. The resolution and quality of stitched image is jaw dropping, believe me. I can bet that at or just before sunrise you'll find spectacular lighting opportunities, empty streets, quiet drone operation and no troubles other than NFZ. Plus, carrying Mavic on your Ducati will be a breeze :) ...

Yet there's another solution with far less hassle ... I've got excellent results shooting 3x3 panoramic images with much smaller, less visible and less obstructive Mavic 2 Pro. The resolution and quality of stitched image is jaw dropping, believe me. I can bet that at or just before sunrise you'll find spectacular lighting opportunities, empty streets, quiet drone operation and no troubles other than NFZ. Plus, carrying Mavic on your Ducati will be a breeze :) ...

Haha yea I already have a Mavic, amazing quality for a small sensor.
the problem is that I cannot apply image technique (about 10 to 30 different exposures, same shot over and over again... similar to stars capture )because I would be obliged to shoot multiple panoramas at different times and same place..wind and drone position already are pai in the *** [emoji856]one single wide shot make job easier in post production[emoji851] although panorama its nice, I don’t want sky in the shoot, just ground streets,statues and so on..yet I need buy a Ducati haha. Riding on Aprilia [emoji965][emoji12]

Haha yea I already have a Mavic, amazing quality for a small sensor.
the problem is that I cannot apply image technique (about 10 to 30 different exposures, same shot over and over again... similar to stars capture )because I would be obliged to shoot multiple panoramas at different times and same place..wind and drone position already are pai in the *** [emoji856]one single wide shot make job easier in post production[emoji851] although panorama its nice, I don’t want sky in the shoot, just ground streets,statues and so on..yet I need buy a Ducati haha. Riding on Aprilia [emoji965][emoji12]
I don't know what is your trade secret for this project ... With Mavic 2 Pro you point the camera on target and 3x3 pano mode delivers 9 images taken AROUND center point, not at horizon. When stitched properly in dedicated software, the resulting HiRes image is roughly the equivalent of super wide lens. If you shot DNG pictures, you can tweak all aspects of digital photography before final stitch, as you probably know very well. This is the way to go, unless I'm totally missing your idea. Samples of my approach are available upon request :) ...

I don't know what is your trade secret for this project ... With Mavic 2 Pro you point the camera on target and 3x3 pano mode delivers 9 images taken AROUND center point, not at horizon. When stitched properly in dedicated software, the resulting HiRes image is roughly the equivalent of super wide lens. If you shot DNG pictures, you can tweak all aspects of digital photography before final stitch, as you probably know very well. This is the way to go, unless I'm totally missing your idea. Samples of my approach are available upon request :) ...

there is not a trade secret haha! it takes like 1 year to reach where i want, amount of pictures to take its huge.

pano mode doesnt help me, because actually i do need take nightscapes scenarios, multiple exposures (artificial lights to a statue for example) 20 to 30 single shots(its up to me and subject) + "paint" it with lights.
flight time doesnt help aswell sadly.
... then in my case a seagull/pidgeon attack in pano mode...err not good idea already happned... better have control over anytime.

atm im getting permission for locations and so on..been like 11++ months of paper work. insane.
check from 43:44 to 44:02
my project its similar, but its quite more urban and without sky probably.

the inspire2 its the "smallest drone" that can achieve results i want..otherwise i will need use a modded s1000(wich already have) or even an m600.
but those are too huge to carry around for a single person + lights set up and ground camera..

there is not a trade secret haha! it takes like 1 year to reach where i want, amount of pictures to take its huge.

pano mode doesnt help me, because actually i do need take nightscapes scenarios, multiple exposures (artificial lights to a statue for example) 20 to 30 single shots(its up to me and subject) + "paint" it with lights.
flight time doesnt help aswell sadly.
... then in my case a seagull/pidgeon attack in pano mode...err not good idea already happned... better have control over anytime.

atm im getting permission for locations and so on..been like 11++ months of paper work. insane.
check from 43:44 to 44:02
my project its similar, but its quite more urban and without sky probably.

the inspire2 its the "smallest drone" that can achieve results i want..otherwise i will need use a modded s1000(wich already have) or even an m600.
but those are too huge to carry around for a single person + lights set up and ground camera..
Ahhhh, now I see better what are you trying to achieve. Still it escapes my understanding why would you need to anchor your drone ... I'm recently modifying a heavy lifter (M200) to carry strong LED lamps and illuminate dark landscapes for my photography, while another drone will take pictures. 25 minutes should be enough to take multiple bracketed shots at various angles of light and camera, but this is definitely a 2 pilots operation ... In your case a tons of paperwork will be necessary as well prior to a session ... Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool