Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

In Search of Information for Fire Department Proposal

Reaction score
Good Evening Ladies and Gentlemen,
My name is Aaron and I am a full-time professional firefighter with the Columbus Fire Department in Columbus, Ohio. Recent large scale events have prompted me to submit a proposal for purchase and of an aerial drone for our fire division to use at scenes for quick size up and multiple other applications. The proposal is moving forward and I am now in fact finding.

I know that the majority of you are using the Inspire 1 for media applications, filming and recording. I am looking for information from individuals who are using this for Fire related applications. I am in need to find what types of attachments we can add to this such as lighting, communication, payload capabilities and any other devices that may be applicable to fire operations.

I have done some research and have seen the Inspire 1 in action (thank you Mike Myer!) and have determined that this is the most practical and reliable vehicle we for our needs. If anyone who sees this can direct me to any individuals you know using the Inspire 1 for Fire/Search & Rescue, please forward my email [email protected] or let me know how I can get in touch with them.

Thank You
Aaron

You may also want to look at the new DJI M100. If you are needing infra red filming along with the regular video filming the M100 can be fitted with both. As the inspire, the M100 can broadcast HD via light bridge technology back to a incident command ground station. The M100 boasts of 30 min flight times which is longer than an inspire. Something you may want to check out.
Gregg
Aerial Imaging of the Rockies.

My name is Aaron and I am a full-time professional firefighter with the Columbus Fire Department in Columbus, Ohio. Recent large scale events have prompted me to submit a proposal for purchase and of an aerial drone for our fire division to use at scenes for quick size up and multiple other applications. The proposal is moving forward and I am now in fact finding.

I know that the majority of you are using the Inspire 1 for media applications, filming and recording. I am looking for information from individuals who are using this for Fire related applications. I am in need to find what types of attachments we can add to this such as lighting, communication, payload capabilities and any other devices that may be applicable to fire operations.

I have done some research and have seen the Inspire 1 in action (thank you Mike Myer!) and have determined that this is the most practical and reliable vehicle we for our needs. If anyone who sees this can direct me to any individuals you know using the Inspire 1 for Fire/Search & Rescue, please forward my email [email protected] or let me know how I can get in touch with them.

Thank You
Aaron

See Garret Bryl
http://www.wfaa.com/media/cinematic/video/30442023/firefighters-apply-for-drone-permit/

Total Control Innovations in Tempe Arizona has deployed some drones to one of the local fire departments. They have a promotional video they may share with you. It might help you sell the idea. I believe they use a Phantom 2. I personally think the Phantom would be better than the Inspire for this application as it is quicker to deploy and has a longer flight time.

There is also a Phantom 3 in production fitted with infrared along with 4k video. It also broadcasts to a ground station.

There is also a Phantom 3 in production fitted with infrared along with 4k video. It also broadcasts to a ground station.
Gregg
Thanks for input! Been gone for a bit so sorry I didn't reply. I have looked at the Phantom 3 Professional. We like the Inspire for the fact the gear raises out of the shot for a full perpestive when needed.
Thanks Aaron

Total Control Innovations in Tempe Arizona has deployed some drones to one of the local fire departments. They have a promotional video they may share with you. It might help you sell the idea. I believe they use a Phantom 2. I personally think the Phantom would be better than the Inspire for this application as it is quicker to deploy and has a longer flight time.
Hey , Thanks For The Tip!!
I will give them shout and see what they have to offer!!
Thanks
Aaron

Now as we move forward, I am looking for information on what weight/payload the Inspire can handle as well as lighting (preferable search type light) and any other accessories for fire applications.

I wouldnt want to hoist a bunch on an inspire. I have a kraken 1300 mm octo that will lift 35 lbs. and flys for 15 minutes. What type of other fire accessories are you talking about? I have consulted with fire departments in the Denver area and they are most interested in infra red video along with regular video and the ability to fly to the top of high rises to see how many hvac units are on the roof during a fire. Sounds like those units can be deadly during a roof collapse. Also commanders like the idea of being able to watch a live feed of the fire to a large display for coordination of attack. I really feel that just one inspire is not going to be the answer. Not sure what you want to lift. Yes the inspire has the landing gear that moves out of the way, but you can accomplish the same thing with a octocopter of hex copter that can lift and be fitted for video transmission. Are you needing a drone that can fly in rain, snow, high wind? The inspire was designed for filming and a great one it is. Attaching lights and lifting devises was not engineered for this ship. I would tend to send you to the boys over at Autonomous Avionics here in Denver. They custom design heavy lifters and drones for special applications and long flight times. All parts are cnc machined and milled for the build in house The just finished building special quads for Ball Aerospace here in Colorado.
And as I give you my professional opinion on what works for fire Depts here, I understand that every application is different. Hope this helps.
Gregg

I wouldnt want to hoist a bunch on an inspire. I have a kraken 1300 mm octo that will lift 35 lbs. and flys for 15 minutes. What type of other fire accessories are you talking about? I have consulted with fire departments in the Denver area and they are most interested in infra red video along with regular video and the ability to fly to the top of high rises to see how many hvac units are on the roof during a fire. Sounds like those units can be deadly during a roof collapse. Also commanders like the idea of being able to watch a live feed of the fire to a large display for coordination of attack. I really feel that just one inspire is not going to be the answer. Not sure what you want to lift. Yes the inspire has the landing gear that moves out of the way, but you can accomplish the same thing with a octocopter of hex copter that can lift and be fitted for video transmission. Are you needing a drone that can fly in rain, snow, high wind? The inspire was designed for filming and a great one it is. Attaching lights and lifting devises was not engineered for this ship. I would tend to send you to the boys over at Autonomous Avionics here in Denver. They custom design heavy lifters and drones for special applications and long flight times. All parts are cnc machined and milled for the build in house The just finished building special quads for Ball Aerospace here in Colorado.
And as I give you my professional opinion on what works for fire Depts here, I understand that every application is different. Hope this helps.
Gregg

Gregg
Thanks!!! That is great info!!! I guess I am looking for an all weather craft and from the demo I got and what I have read, the Inspire fits the bill for the 'GREAT" Ohio weather. I just received a e-mail from Garret Bryl, He had a 1500 lumens light He made an PVC attachment for and came up with a lightweight release hook as well for his Inspire. I guess as far as lifting, we will have to still look into what my Administration has in mind. I was looking at exactly what Garret did with life vest, perhaps a string lead for a tag line or rope, but the sky is the limit as far as what we will be discussing. This is why I joined this forum to see and get ideas and other options for our applications. And you have delivered, so thank you!!

I compiled a shopping list and how to from Garret for the spotlight here, FYI:

http://www.inspirepilots.com/index.php?threads/More-Inspires-saving-lives..3129/

Hope that helps. Note that now there are 2000 lumens LED lights available and are able to be focused at a fixed distance. Two of those things paired together might be worth trying as well.

Thanks Damon! Gonna try to go to Atlanta next week to meet Garret and Chief Baker at a conference they will be speaking at.

Aaron

Reactions: damoncooper
Now as we move forward, I am looking for information on what weight/payload the Inspire can handle as well as lighting (preferable search type light) and any other accessories for fire applications.
Maximum permissable payload for the Inspire is 3.4kg (although the flight times would be DRAMATICALLY reduced!)

Gregg
Thanks!!! That is great info!!! I guess I am looking for an all weather craft and from the demo I got and what I have read, the Inspire fits the bill for the 'GREAT" Ohio weather. I just received a e-mail from Garret Bryl, He had a 1500 lumens light He made an PVC attachment for and came up with a lightweight release hook as well for his Inspire. I guess as far as lifting, we will have to still look into what my Administration has in mind. I was looking at exactly what Garret did with life vest, perhaps a string lead for a tag line or rope, but the sky is the limit as far as what we will be discussing. This is why I joined this forum to see and get ideas and other options for our applications. And you have delivered, so thank you!!

Can you point me in the direction of contacting Garret or have him contact me. I would like to get information on these attachments he made for his inspire.

Aaron-
Drone Training Pros near Chicago has a UAS Expert (he is their ground school instructor for their Part 107 training) and his name is Rob Nelson- his number is 844-359-3877 office or cell 847-962-9988 and his email is [email protected] He has helped my associates and quite a few agencies I know in the area of equipment, software and training. He is very helpful and a wealth of knowledge- give him a call- or email him he was a life saver for us

Thank You
Aaron

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobbyeriGop