Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Increase in Fly Aways/Crazy Behavior?

Reaction score
I regularly read the forum here and the official DJI forum. Since the latest firmware update I have noticed a spike in reports of crazy flight behavior/flyaway posts at the other site as well as battery voltage/loss of power posts. Have you guys noticed similar things? It seemed like the prior firmware improved matters but this most recent has serious issues. I am running the most recent version and it's making me nervous to take my bird out. I am a very cautious pilot but there is no amount of caution to account for the bird basically going berserk. Any thoughts?

There have been reports from day one... don't forget that as time goes there are more and more of these out there, so it's rather normal to also have more and more people having problems even if the failure rate stays constant.

today i flew 3 batteries and she flew nice but the gimbal had issues in calibrating midflight and on startup for some reason.... after auto calibration on ground it did the same mid flight with no issues... only had the notification in the app that calib was successful... i have no idea why this is happening...

Reactions: Robbie
today i flew 3 batteries and she flew nice but the gimbal had issues in calibrating midflight and on startup for some reason.... after auto calibration on ground it did the same mid flight with no issues... only had the notification in the app that calib was successful... i have no idea why this is happening...

I have not noticed that. Really other than a slight yaw drift mine has flown great since the atti bug was fixed. I had just noticed an increase in recent posts at the official site, not so much here, about crazy flight behavior with unresponsive controls and batteries dropping from half charge to critical level. Given DJIs propensity to not inform us about potentially dangerous bugs it spooked me a little and I wondered what people on this site thought/experienced recently.

People rarely post that they went out and nothing happened. You are reacting to posts where people are reporting that something happened. I can assure you that there are probably well over several thousand of these in the air and you are worried about what you see as a lot of posts where something happened, while thousands of flights occurred where nothing happened. When you look at the amount of people out there flying it really isn't as bad as it seems. Be cautious, have set procedures, preflight, use caution and enjoy your wonderful camera platform. I try to read about every post on here so I can try to be as knowledgeable as I can be, so that means I am reading the same posts that you are. I am not worried about flying my Inspire. In fact I follow all FAA rules and regulations, but I fly it like I stole it and have had very little that has been outside the normal flight parameters. I bought a brand new BMW and had to take it in for an electrical problem the first month. My Dad bought a Mercedes S550 (A very nice car) that cost in the six figures, he has had it in three times for electrical issues. When you go to sites like this your are going to be inundated with people seeking information about something that happened, not saying they had a wonderful flight. Relax put it into perspective and have fun with it.

I've been flying on the latest FW and App (Android). Other then one issue where I launched w/o checking my MOD values for my Compass, I have had nothing more than a few video dropouts. I've had probably 20 flights and no issues. I'm at just under 100 flights total since getting her mid March.

Only really had no-pilot issue where the RC turned itself off and that was 1 FW release ago.

I've found the Inspire 1 to be pretty solid.

when you fly anything like this, you have to know that you can handle flying it in ATTI mode in the weather system during the flight, if you can do that and you have taken reasonable precautions before flight, then all you can do is fly and be ready to take manual control if something happens,

if it cant fly in ATTI due to an issue, then you had best hope the CSC command works, and try to aim for a safe spot .......

I regularly read the forum here and the official DJI forum. Since the latest firmware update I have noticed a spike in reports of crazy flight behavior/flyaway posts at the other site as well as battery voltage/loss of power posts. Have you guys noticed similar things? It seemed like the prior firmware improved matters but this most recent has serious issues. I am running the most recent version and it's making me nervous to take my bird out. I am a very cautious pilot but there is no amount of caution to account for the bird basically going berserk. Any thoughts?

Upgraded to latest firmware last weekend. Went to the usual spot to shake her down. 4th flight in after 3 perfect flights bird starts trying to fly away. Didn't shift to Atti or lose gps or have any problems i could note it just started acting very erratic. it got worse and worse but I was able to fight to get her back to my area but had to come in hard with almost no control to avoid crashing in marsh area resulting in broken arm and totaled camera. Ill do a full report in a bit but have been crazy busy at work. This is the first problem with something like 128 flights and 17 or so hrs in the air. Have to send it back to have it checked out.

What is the official site that folks are talking about? I was under the impression that this was the official site. I have found invaluable information here.

Upgraded to latest firmware last weekend. Went to the usual spot to shake her down. 4th flight in after 3 perfect flights bird starts trying to fly away. Didn't shift to Atti or lose gps or have any problems i could note it just started acting very erratic. it got worse and worse but I was able to fight to get her back to my area but had to come in hard with almost no control to avoid crashing in marsh area resulting in broken arm and totaled camera. Ill do a full report in a bit but have been crazy busy at work. This is the first problem with something like 128 flights and 17 or so hrs in the air. Have to send it back to have it checked out.

Another person reporting this is occurring after a couple of successful post calibration flights in the same location. This experience almost exactly mirrors mine though I thankfully managed to get mine down without damage. Keep us posted please with what they say.

Another person reporting this is occurring after a couple of successful post calibration flights in the same location. This experience almost exactly mirrors mine though I thankfully managed to get mine down without damage. Keep us posted please with what they say.
Same exact thing happened to me. New fw, imu and compass calibration done, same spot, 2 batteries without an issue, on the way back after flying 1 km away, right over my head, the I1 went nuts. Very slow reactions to my input, and fully swinging to one side pulling away.

I am so glad that somehow I managed to land it and not crash into a tree.

This was harder than flying a manual quad

You should be. There is a VERY serious issue and it is VERY real. Provided that is is NOT a bad batch in a manufacturing run, you WILL have this issue. I'd 'ground the fleet' until new firmware is out addressing this issue.

You should be. There is a VERY serious issue and it is VERY real. Provided that is is NOT a bad batch in a manufacturing run, you WILL have this issue. I'd 'ground the fleet' until new firmware is out addressing this issue.
Can you please stop posting comments like 'You should ground the fleet' when you are posting on old threads regarding out of date firmware?
You made a similar post on another thread to which I have replied.
Do you have anything to substantiate your unfloundering belief that everyone will suffer an uncontrollable flyaway and we are all doomed or are you just the new Soothsayer of Doom?

Reactions: Kilrah
Can you please stop posting comments like 'You should ground the fleet' when you are posting on old threads regarding out of date firmware?
You made a similar post on another thread to which I have replied.
Do you have anything to substantiate your unfloundering belief that everyone will suffer an uncontrollable flyaway and we are all doomed or are you just the new Soothsayer of Doom?

Wow! So much for assume good intent. Only trying to help out, people can do what ever they want, as for my i1 aircraft, they (my fleet) are grounded until the problem is fixed. There is a real problem here. This is NOT "out of date firmware". This is current firmware; v1.2.1.06. I've been a software dev executive for 27 years, I'm not a fan of chasing red herring's. Because of where I sit, I know more than I wish I did about this type of think. I know a problem when I see one. Frankly, I wish it was pilot error (thats easy fixed <smile>) For what it's worth, I don't engage in hyperbole, and this is is the first (and now the last) time I've ever posted on something like this. Statistically, out of three aircraft this issue is occurring about one on 7-ish flights. I have a team of people/ engineers (in their valuable free time) looking at the issue including using testing and measurement equipment that are not generally available to most people (i.e. 70K spectrum analysis equipment) I happen to LOVE these aircraft, the flight envelope, aerodynamics etc. HOWEVER, they are having some serious early stage issues (this is not unusual at all). Issues, I'm sure they will correct when they identify the issue, they are good folks. I have a different view on the world than most of the good folks on this site. Good companies are measured NOT by how they preform when things are operating smoothly, rather how they respond to challenges. DJI and it's leadership are REALLY GOOD folks, I am very confidant they will get this fixed the instant they have a full understanding of the issue. I'm a CxO of one of the largest consumer tech companies in the world and CEO of our software subsidiary. As such, I have access to resources that most people don't (e.g. literally thousands of technical people in software, hardware, and consumer electronics manufacturing in of one the largest consumer electronics firms in the world). Ironically, I'm very familiar with the firm that DJI uses for its contract manufacturing in China. It's a very good company, they will address the issue if its hardware related. If it's software (likely) I'm sure that will be fixed too. If I (we) don't know that there is a problem with the products we produce, it's very hard for us to fix it. So we watch boards like this to see if there is a 'brush-fire' we can put out before it becomes a 'forest fire' with our products. Finally, I'm A HUGE FAN of DJI they are a VERY GOOD company, I have several p3's and 3 i1's and a m-100 on the way, all just for fun not photography or professional use. This is such a bad way to communicate bilaterally, I'm happy to talk with anyone via voice. Posting anything here was a mistake, you have my apologies. As for this, I wish everyone the best, and hopefully they don't have an issue before the problem is fixed. Based on a non-anecdotal statistical analysis, they may or may not. For now, I'll be having fun with my p3's

Wow! So much for assume good intent. Only trying to help out, people can do what ever they want, as for my i1 aircraft, they (my fleet) are grounded until the problem is fixed. There is a real problem here. This is NOT "out of date firmware". This is current firmware; v1.2.1.06. I've been a software dev executive for 27 years, I'm not a fan of chasing red herring's. Because of where I sit, I know more than I wish I did about this type of think. I know a problem when I see one. Frankly, I wish it was pilot error (thats easy fixed <smile>) For what it's worth, I don't engage in hyperbole, and this is is the first (and now the last) time I've ever posted on something like this. Statistically, out of three aircraft this issue is occurring about one on 7-ish flights. I have a team of people/ engineers (in their valuable free time) looking at the issue including using testing and measurement equipment that are not generally available to most people (i.e. 70K spectrum analysis equipment) I happen to LOVE these aircraft, the flight envelope, aerodynamics etc. HOWEVER, they are having some serious early stage issues (this is not unusual at all). Issues, I'm sure they will correct when they identify the issue, they are good folks. I have a different view on the world than most of the good folks on this site. Good companies are measured NOT by how they preform when things are operating smoothly, rather how they respond to challenges. DJI and it's leadership are REALLY GOOD folks, I am very confidant they will get this fixed the instant they have a full understanding of the issue. I'm a CxO of one of the largest consumer tech companies in the world and CEO of our software subsidiary. As such, I have access to resources that most people don't (e.g. literally thousands of technical people in software, hardware, and consumer electronics manufacturing in of one the largest consumer electronics firms in the world). Ironically, I'm very familiar with the firm that DJI uses for its contract manufacturing in China. It's a very good company, they will address the issue if its hardware related. If it's software (likely) I'm sure that will be fixed too. If I (we) don't know that there is a problem with the products we produce, it's very hard for us to fix it. So we watch boards like this to see if there is a 'brush-fire' we can put out before it becomes a 'forest fire' with our products. Finally, I'm A HUGE FAN of DJI they are a VERY GOOD company, I have several p3's and 3 i1's and a m-100 on the way, all just for fun not photography or professional use. This is such a bad way to communicate bilaterally, I'm happy to talk with anyone via voice. Posting anything here was a mistake, you have my apologies. As for this, I wish everyone the best, and hopefully they don't have an issue before the problem is fixed. Based on a non-anecdotal statistical analysis, they may or may not. For now, I'll be having fun with my p3's

Thanks for taking the time to respond and I appreciate your input. I was not saying you are exaggerating rather just commenting on old posts. If you look at the OP's original post that you commented on it pre-dated the most recent firmware release.

It was the 'knee-jerk' comment that I objected to as if to imply that EVERYBODY at some point in time will suffer a fly-away. There are thousands of Inspires out there all flying and operating without issue and in general we never get to hear about them. It's when individuals have problems they appear on forums such as this and seek help etc. There is a far larger populous of happy Inspire owners out there that we will never hear from! :)

For your information, there is a new version of firmware literally 'around the corner' - in fact is should have been released around June 15th but was pulled last minute.

There will be some interesting things included in the next release....... :p

Ya man. ..
I have a different perspective ..
I'm glad you made your first and hopefully not last post!!
it's clear you're an enthusiast !!!!
keep in mind there are many people who appreciate different view points especially when it's from a guy like you...
I personally like it when smart people as yourself take the time to give their viewpoint weather I agree with it or not..
unfortunately you will have the occasional jerk or whatever that pisses you off ,not talking about you Editor ,but don't let that deture you because believe me there's many people on here just reading and not commenting for verious reasons. .
Try and not let people get to you because you sound like a good guy and some people just won't get it..
anyway just wanted to put that out there..
that's rad you have a m-100 on order! !
Id love to hear your feedback once you get it and more about your i1's and p3's
thanks for looking out...
tear it up....
turb..

I couldn't agree more...this forum is absolutely essential to understanding our craft...and the thing is...this is a great hobby, a great professional tool...but this technology has a very serious side to it, in that we need to be super diligent about controlling our aircraft...it's not a joke. So having an active discourse (like I have been reading above) is crucial. Again, I have learned so much on this forum, having my questions answered directly and by simply following threads.

So I would implore folks to stay active and to be willing to express opinions, even if it does get a bit sticky at times. We need well-informed input.

I do not condone the Editors reaction to Fly Colorado, the be honest I am disappointed by it and would like to say that as a mere member of this forum ( not the Administrator).
I for one joined what I thought was an independent forum where I would be able to read and post comments, issues and discussions about the inspire without fearing being chastised by someone in a position of authority on the board.
The Editor clearly loves the inspire and the community and this forum but has perhaps gotten a little close to it becoming a forum that wants to be run in the image he wants to read it. Surely the purpose is for us to be able to express our opinions without fear of public reprimand.
I hope we have not lost the benefit of members like Fly Colorado nor the ability to speak freely regardless of our opinions.
I find the comments regretful and hope that with the benefit of hindsight an apology not only to Fly Colorado but to all members may be forthcoming.
Lets ensure that we continue the great dialogue and mutual assistance on this site.

Reactions: Drone Mastery

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
defenderschool