Welcome Inspire Pilots!
Join our free DJI Inspire community today!

Inflight Battery Warmer

This is my solution. Cut from a small sheet of 4mm wetsuit neoprene using cardboard templates, stitched and glued with neoprene adhesive and tape under the battery, and with velco strips sew on the forward edge.

View attachment 6199

Looks good! Keep an eye on temp while you get used to the new blanket. Each set of materials have their own insulating characteristics so you'll want to know what the appropriate ambient temp range is to put this on. Letting battery temp get too hot can be as bad as too cold. Goldilocks zone, etc.

Looks good! Keep an eye on temp while you get used to the new blanket. Each set of materials have their own insulating characteristics so you'll want to know what the appropriate ambient temp range is to put this on. Letting battery temp get too hot can be as bad as too cold. Goldilocks zone, etc.
Very good point. With an ambient air temperature of 4C, the TB47 batteries got to 44C and 43.5C after one 2 takeoff/landing 8 min and one short 5 min test flights. The temperatures were still raising steadily.

Flight 1
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

Flight 2

Reactions: damoncooper
I currently am having two of these made. Due to having the left over fabric I am having more made. I am having them made with pockets that will fit a toe warmer like Damon showed. I figure if someone wanted one and did not wish to have one made i would have a few extras. They should be done this weekend and i will post what they look like in a day or two.

Well I just used mine today. It is 28 degrees outside. Flew a tb48 with the mod and the two extra batteries with N Watts x5 holder attached. I did not use the toe warmers. When the flight was done the battery showed a temp of 41.2C.. Much Much warmer then if I did not use the battery insulator. I would have to say you would only have to use the toe warmers in the pockets if the temp was in the teens or at 0. I think DJI should have made this an option for those in cold weather, not just a sticker for the battery either.

Attachments

• inspire 1.JPG
    inspire 1.JPG
    813.2 KB · Views: 46
Well I just used mine today. It is 28 degrees outside. Flew a tb48 with the mod and the two extra batteries with N Watts x5 holder attached. I did not use the toe warmers. When the flight was done the battery showed a temp of 41.2C.. Much Much warmer then if I did not use the battery insulator. I would have to say you would only have to use the toe warmers in the pockets if the temp was in the teens or at 0. I think DJI should have made this an option for those in cold weather, not just a sticker for the battery either.

Why do you keep your TB48 warm and cozy and the 2 others not?

Chris

Degrees what? C or F. I assume the latter but not everyone uses it. The US is in the minority. Good report thank you.

Why do you keep your TB48 warm and cozy and the 2 others not?

Chris

If the aux are higher C rated (25C+) they are less critical than the DJI main battery to keep in the Goldilocks zone as there's less chance of a voltage sag that will tax the batteries due to temp. If your aux are also low C (10C), it would be recommended to keep a jacket on them as well in very cold temps. But with 3 batteries shouldering the load there's still some margin for error.

Super critical is keeping the DJI battery in the zone when not using any aux batteries as the strain on the DJI battery is highest when it's alone and because of it's low C rating the margin of error is much smaller should a voltage sag occur.

Last edited:
If the aux are higher C rated (25C+) they are less critical than the DJI main battery to keep in the Goldilocks zone as there's less chance of a voltage sag that will tax the batteries due to temp. If your aux are also low C (10C), it would be recommended to keep a jacket on them as well in very cold temps. But with 3 batteries shouldering the load there's still some margin for error.

Super critical is keeping the DJI battery in the zone when not using any aux batteries as the strain on the DJI battery is highest when it's alone and because of it's low C rating the margin of error is much smaller should a voltage sag occur.

That's what i figured as well. My side saddle batteries are 35C discharge. But this flight was mainly for the X5 work around adapter, and the in flight battery warmer. I just needed to discharge the two extra batteries for storage so they went along for the ride. As for the numbers...28 degrees Fahrenheit outside.

Reactions: damoncooper
What would be the best temp to fly at assuming 0C is too low and 30C too high

Hello everybody.

I created an inflight battery cover with my CAD and 3D printer.
It simply clicks on it and keeps the battery in flight about 5-8 degrees warmer than normal.

Its a prototype. with your printer settings you can increase the print quality.

IMG_2335.JPG

Here you can download my stl file.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2750990

Have Fun.

I have test my inflight battery warmer just right now. In the same conditions i have up to 5 degrees celsius more with the cover.

For us that use Fahrenheit I made the degree change in F.

" I have found that using the external blanket and chemical warmers ONLY when ambient temp is < 32F will keep battery temp in the 68F - 104F optimal discharge "goldilocks" zone if starting battery temp is 68F+. Adding the chemical warmers when ambient temp is >41F can lead to overheating, with battery temps at end of flight >113F.

Using the blanket WITHOUT chemical warmers between 32F and 59F generally keeps things in the Goldilocks zone. "
I just use the DJI battery heater. I know some flight time is wasted but the process of heating but I have never had any issues. I flew as cold as -8F. Only issue I had was my fingers were so cold I could barely handle the sticks and that was wearing touch screen gloves

I am new at his but i just bought an Inspire 1 V2 recently for my company in Alaska, not to be used in arctic temps. But probably just above freezing. So i remembered some material i was planning on using for some home made cold weather clothing, its called Aerogel. Its lightweight, won't absorb water has an R30 factor for one inch. I bought some samples on Ebay for less than $10. You can get it in thin to thick sheets. Its generally white as well. Maybe it will work better than neoprene....

Just offering something i knew about in another field.

This worked out great for me today. I flew in 24F temps. Started with a 19.5C battery temp and ended with a 31.5C battery temp. I think it worked out very well.

35b44bd6a52f2ab88720d1efad5b8f81.jpg

Some simple foam and masking tape. Easy peasy.

I have that exact closed cell phone left over from a mail package and was thinking of the very same but with some gorilla tape or some Velcro. Unlike the lower 48 my spring time temps are still pretty cold so i may have to use a long term solution.
As a model builder I collected different types of carbon fiber sheets, hard pressed sheets like for aircraft bulkheads. Strong and light. So my Inspire is in the mail right now, I'll post what i make up.
I kinda like that 3D printed battery cover.

I almost forgot my sons birthday was today so i gave him my old Skyviper 2450FPV drone.

Last edited:
Because: stickers suck
Like the ideas and mini Temp Reader in above pics. Could you provide a URL Link or brand/model for the mini Temp Reader.

I'm a Newbie to the site, could you provide the URL, Title or date range that discusses your saddle batteries and modified wire connectors visible in photos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlberthaLo